Re: [linuxham] Remote Access ??s

    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
      On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:47:11 -0000
      "Dave" <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my
      > Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them
      > from getting into my machine?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Dave KB9MNM

      Google iptables ubuntu. This is what you are looking for.

      If you are using a router, secure it and don't leave it open to public
      access. Unless you know my encrytion password, you are outta luck.

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
        "Dave" <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my
        > Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them
        > from getting into my machine?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Dave KB9MNM

        Have you configured Remote Desktop under Preferences ? If so have you
        set a strong password ?

        Ed W3NR
      • Richard Dowty
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
          You may have downloaded a software onto your computer without your knowlege. Like a malware to allow someone in. One way that I know of is to start over and reload from scratch to wipe everything off from your hard drive. I use fedora 16 right now and this os will not allow anyone to get into the root of the os. Not even me.
          Rich/W7EET

          > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my
          > Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them
          > from getting into my machine?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Dave KB9MNM

          Have you configured Remote Desktop under Preferences ? If so have you
          set a strong password ?

          Ed W3NR

        • David Kjellquist
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
            Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
            only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
            services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
            problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
            is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.

            Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
            forwarding in the router.

            All this should be described in the router instructions.

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
              On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:09:29 -0800 (PST)
              Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

              > You may have downloaded a software onto your computer without your
              > knowlege. Like a malware to allow someone in. One way that I know of
              > is to start over and reload from scratch to wipe everything off from
              > your hard drive. I use fedora 16 right now and this os will not allow
              > anyone to get into the root of the os. Not even me. Rich/W7EET

              Never heard of a Linux malware. Re-installing Linux would not be my
              choice.

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:32:10 -0500
                David Kjellquist <dave@...> wrote:

                > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
                > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
                > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A
                > real problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic.
                > Port 23 is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
                >
                > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
                > forwarding in the router.
                >
                > All this should be described in the router instructions.

                Read up on SSH also. This will really lock down any intrusion attempts.

                Ed W3NR
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                  I don't want to clear the drive either. However, I did reset the password to a much stronger one. Like an idiot, I didn't think anyone would try, but, I did see port 23 on there, so I gotta figure out how to turn it off. Otherwise, I could do a factory reset.

                  > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:09:29 -0800 (PST)
                  > Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > You may have downloaded a software onto your computer without your
                  > > knowlege. Like a malware to allow someone in. One way that I know of
                  > > is to start over and reload from scratch to wipe everything off from
                  > > your hard drive. I use fedora 16 right now and this os will not allow
                  > > anyone to get into the root of the os. Not even me. Rich/W7EET
                  >
                  > Never heard of a Linux malware. Re-installing Linux would not be my
                  > choice.
                  >
                  > Ed W3NR

                • Dave Wright
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                    I found port 23 to be in the virtual server portion of my router. I deleted it. I hope that this will fix the problem. SSH, thanks Ed, I will read up on that. For now, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

                    Dave

                    On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Dave <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                    I don't want to clear the drive either. However, I did reset the password to a much stronger one. Like an idiot, I didn't think anyone would try, but, I did see port 23 on there, so I gotta figure out how to turn it off. Otherwise, I could do a factory reset.

                    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:09:29 -0800 (PST)
                    > Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > You may have downloaded a software onto your computer without your
                    > > knowlege. Like a malware to allow someone in. One way that I know of
                    > > is to start over and reload from scratch to wipe everything off from
                    > > your hard drive. I use fedora 16 right now and this os will not allow
                    > > anyone to get into the root of the os. Not even me. Rich/W7EET
                    >
                    > Never heard of a Linux malware. Re-installing Linux would not be my
                    > choice.

                    David Wright KB9MNM
                    Public Information Officer
                    Kendall County IL ARES
                    Montgomery,IL 60538

                  • Dave Wright
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                      I disabled remote desktop sharing, it's not worth the security issue to sit 10 feet away from the computer and work it on my laptop.

                      Thanks for all the info though. Had I known about port 23 earlier, man, this is scary stuff! Just hope my Windows machine doesnt get latched onto.

                      Dave KB9MNM

                      --
                      David Wright KB9MNM
                      Public Information Officer
                      Kendall County IL ARES
                      Montgomery,IL 60538

                    • David A. Ranch
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012

                        Every Linux, OSX, and even Windows etc. machine have network firewalls to keep out hostile attacks like this.  The difficulty is in how to effectively allow IN the good people such as yourself into your own machine.  The easiest way is to allow in these remote hosts is via allowing only *known* good static IP addresses but this is very constraining for mobile people who get different IP addresses all the time.  The next level up would be to allow all IPs to create a private VPN be it using technologies like SSH-based port forwarding, classic IPSEC, or more recent SSL-VPN based solutions.  These services are getting easier and easier to setup and many consumer "home wifi routers" in the $60 range now offer these technologies built in!

                        As a final comment, one key point to make is that whenever people enable remote management, VPNs, whatever, you *have* to ensure the technology is  sound and maintained (don't use SSHv1 over SSHv2, don't use PPTP over IPSEC, don't use WEP over WPA2).  Your hardware or operating system doesn't support the secure versions... time to upgrade or you WILL eventually get hacked.  If you have to use passwords, ensure they are strong (using upper and lower case, punctuation, numbers, and make them at LEAST 12 characters long), etc.  For the strong security minded folks, stop using passwords consider the use of One Time Passwords (OTP).  Finally, follow strong security doctrine with layers of security using technologies like Port Knocking, etc.

                        --David
                        KI6ZHD

                        I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my
                        Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them
                        from getting into my machine?

                        You can either ensure that the service that supports this is not
                        running, or you can only grant access to IP addresses that are local to
                        you using firewall rules if you need that service. Exactly how you do
                        that in Ubuntu I couldn't say, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

                      • Richard Dowty
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                          You may get a chance to catch them on your computer by typing the word finger on the terminal . This command lets you know who is on your computer.
                          I myself, went to Walgreen's and bought a small book to enter different passwords on each websites. I use anything of combinations of numbers and letters including caps and lowers and at least 10 long or better. I know it is a pain in the southern end but it makes it more challenging for the hacker.
                          Rich/W7EET

                          http://kendallilares.home.comcast.net/~kendallilares/

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                            Thanks David,
                            We use our phones over the WiFi at home here, so I dont want to screw that up. The laptop is ok, I think I know it's address, and the Ubuntu machine I think is good. I just disabled the remote desktop.

                            If I knew more about networking and such, I think I would be ok, but I dont want to get into the router and start jazzing things up then go "Great...now what do I do?".

                            A buddy of mine works in IT for a large corporation, so I have reached out to him for getting this system more secured. I guess if I have to change the password every 30 days, then I will.

                            Thanks agai for everyone's input, bith encouraging and eye opening.

                            Dave KB9MNM

                          • qrv@kd4e.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                              In which operating system, Apple/Mac, Linux, or Microsoft does this
                              work, please?

                              --

                              Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                              David Colburn nevils-station.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                On 03/01/2012 03:04 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                                > In which operating system, Apple/Mac, Linux, or Microsoft does this
                                > work, please?
                                >
                                >> You may get a chance to catch them on your computer by typing the word
                                >> finger on the terminal . This command lets you know who is on your computer.
                                >> Rich/W7EET

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_protocol

                                But most systems have the finger daemon shut off these days. Or should.

                                Rick Kunath, k9ao
                              • Dave Wright
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                  I have Ubuntu and installed Finger on it, and yes, it does give you a list of all who are logged in. From the treminal run:

                                  sudo apt-get install finger

                                  Should work.

                                  Very neat

                                  Dave KB9MNM

                                  --

                                  Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                                  David Colburn nevils-station.com
                                  I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com

                                  David Wright KB9MNM
                                  Public Information Officer
                                  Kendall County IL ARES
                                  Montgomery,IL 60538

                                • Marc Coevoet
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                    Op 01-03-12 21:04, qrv@... schreef:
                                    > In which operating system, Apple/Mac, Linux, or Microsoft does this
                                    > work, please?
                                    >
                                    > > You may get a chance to catch them on your computer by typing the word
                                    > > finger on the terminal . This command lets you know who is on your
                                    > computer.
                                    > > Rich/

                                    It dates from long back, when

                                    finger marcc@...

                                    meant trying to know if marcc was logged in ...

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_protocol
                                    http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ufinger.htm

                                    After a "good" finger, you could start ..
                                    chat marcc@...

                                    Marc

                                    http://shortwave.tk
                                    700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
                                    300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                      On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:17:59 +0100
                                      Marc Coevoet <sintsixtus@...> wrote:

                                      Please do not CC anyone when posting to linuxham. Yahoo says its spam,
                                      so I have to go in and approve the message.

                                      Thanks

                                      Ed W3NR

                                      list moderator
                                    • Woodchuck
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                        On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 02:12:38PM -0600, Dave Wright wrote:

                                        > I have Ubuntu and installed Finger on it, and yes, it does give you a list of
                                        > all who are logged in. From the treminal run:
                                        >
                                        > sudo apt-get install finger
                                        >
                                        > Should work.
                                        >
                                        > Very neat
                                        >
                                        > Dave KB9MNM

                                        Uninstall it and run the standard utility, "w", that is already
                                        installed. Just type "w" to the command line. man w.

                                        Dave AB3NR
                                      • Marc Coevoet
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                          Op 01-03-12 21:45, Woodchuck schreef:

                                          > Uninstall it and run the standard utility, "w", that is already
                                          > installed. Just type "w" to the command line. man w.

                                          w will only give who is on the computer you're on ...

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                            Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for everyone's help.

                                            Now, one other question:

                                            How do you create a shortcut for a program to your desktop?

                                            Thanks,
                                            Dave

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                              On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
                                              Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                                              > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was
                                              > set for WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password.
                                              > Thanks for everyone's help.
                                              >
                                              > Now, one other question:
                                              >
                                              > How do you create a shortcut for a program to your desktop?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Dave

                                              Right click on the desktop and choose Create Launcher.

                                              Ed W3NR
                                            • Brian Morrison
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
                                                Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                                                > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
                                                > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
                                                > everyone's help.

                                                But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
                                                secure your machine using firewall and ssh.

                                                --

                                                Brian Morrison

                                                Oscar Wilde
                                              • Dave
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 1, 2012
                                                  I had him check the firewall and SSH and it was good. I removed all the unwanted virtual servers that were on the router. I secured the system using WPA2 protocol. He said it should be good to go. The firewall is set to allow devices out but not in. Other than we are set.
                                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

                                                  > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:10:08 -0600
                                                  > Dave Wright <kb9mnm@...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Ok, my buddy got everything straightened out for me. The router was set for
                                                  > > WEP, so I moved it to WPA2 and a really strong password. Thanks for
                                                  > > everyone's help.
                                                  >
                                                  > But you should also ensure that you turn off unwanted services, and
                                                  > secure your machine using firewall and ssh.
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  >
                                                  > Brian Morrison
                                                  >
                                                  > "I am not young enough to know everything"
                                                  > Oscar Wilde

                                                • VA7OTC JD Erskine
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
                                                    On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
                                                    > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
                                                    > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
                                                    > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
                                                    > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
                                                    > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
                                                    >
                                                    > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
                                                    > forwarding in the router.
                                                    >
                                                    > All this should be described in the router instructions.

                                                    Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
                                                    and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
                                                    router.

                                                    ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

                                                    73, John
                                                    VA7OTC
                                                  • Richard Dowty
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 2, 2012
                                                      There one other thing I do when the computer sets on my desk resting. I click on the network icon (on your screen top right desktop) and turn off the internet connection when not in use on the internet. This will help also and it keeps the computer from chirping on the internet and flagging saying, "here I am".
                                                      Rich/W7EET

                                                      On 01/Mar/12 08:32, David Kjellquist wrote:
                                                      > Check your router instructions and learn how to check/close ports. The
                                                      > only ports that should be open (aka allowing access) are the ones for
                                                      > services you're using. For example, port 80 is for http traffic. A real
                                                      > problem (though unlikely) is port 23 open for incoming traffic. Port 23
                                                      > is the telnet port allowing somebody to telnet to your router.
                                                      >
                                                      > Unless you want somebody in, you want to turn off (if on) all port
                                                      > forwarding in the router.
                                                      >
                                                      > All this should be described in the router instructions.

                                                      Then make a visit to https://www.grc.com/default.htm
                                                      and get Steve's robot to check your ports from outside your system or
                                                      router.

                                                      ShieldsUp! is OS agnostic, LeakTest is for MS Windows.

                                                      73, John
                                                      VA7OTC

                                                    • yrjo_1
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 3, 2012
                                                        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <kb9mnm@...> wrote:

                                                        > Hi All,
                                                        > I have, on at least 2 occasions, had someone trying to remote into my Ubuntu desktop. Is there anyway to hide my IP adderess or block them from getting into my machine?
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks in advance,
                                                        >
                                                        > Dave KB9MNM

                                                        I have used firestarter in Ubuntu as firewall program. It is easy to use and configure.
                                                        Yrjö OH2GUF