Re: [linuxham] Linux Packet Program

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
      Rick Kunath wrote:
      > jcofy wrote:
      >> Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
      >> 2000's TNC?
      >>
      >> I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
      >> with the 2000.
      >

      > There is Xcall and Xconvers here:
      >
      > http://pg4i.chronos.org.uk/linux/
      >
      > I've never used them, so don't know if something like this is what you
      > are looking for.
      >
      > Rick Kunath, k9ao

      Another one to look at is minicom. Should be available via apt or synaptic.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
        Rick Kunath wrote:
        > jcofy wrote:
        >> Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
        >> 2000's TNC?
        >>
        >> I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
        >> with the 2000.
        >

        > There is Xcall and Xconvers here:
        >
        > http://pg4i.chronos.org.uk/linux/
        >
        > I've never used them, so don't know if something like this is what you
        > are looking for.
        >
        > Rick Kunath, k9ao

        Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.

        Ed W3NR
      • Rick Kunath
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
          Ed wrote:

          > Another one to look at is minicom. Should be available via apt or synaptic.

          Or a GUI version similar to minicom called CuteCom

          Rick Kunath, k9ao
        • Nate Bargmann
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
            * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 14:04 -0500]:

            > Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.

            I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed! ;-)

            Truthfully, few packet terminal programs have ever measured up to YAPP
            for simplicity and reliability--and it's what, 21 years old now? Over
            the years I used many programs, some bought, others downloaded to
            trying various offerings on Linux and none matched the suitability of
            YAPP for using packet in the simple TNC terminal mode.

            For advanced usage such as with later multi-mode TNCs used in host
            mode, YAPP was out of its league, of course. In some ways the best bet
            is to find an old DOS packet program and run it in DOSemu. I've run
            both YAPP and KaGold in DOSemu several years ago which should work even
            better these days.

            73, de Nate >>

            --
            Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
            Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
              Nate Bargmann wrote:
              > * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 14:04 -0500]:
              >
              >> Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.
              >
              > I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed! ;-)

              Shoot Nate you take all the fun out of playing Linux and radio....

              Ed W3NR
            • Nate Bargmann
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 17:56 -0500]:
                > Nate Bargmann wrote:
                > > * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 14:04 -0500]:
                > >
                > >> Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.
                > >
                > > I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed! ;-)
                >

                > Shoot Nate you take all the fun out of playing Linux and radio....

                Harrr!

                73, de Nate >>

                --
                Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
                Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
                http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
                My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
                http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org
              • Larry Levesque
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                  GTK-Term works great for me.

                  --
                  Larry Levesque
                  KA1VGM
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

                  • Dave Cochran
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 7, 2007
                      What's the trick to configuring DOSEMU to recognize the serial ports so programs like Paket can see them?
                      (Granted they are emulated via USB adapters but symlinking /dev/ttyUSB1 to /dev/ttyS3) but everything minicom and other seem happy enough with that to function.

                      Not that it makes a lot of difference running Slackware 12.0 here now :)

                      Dave
                      N0TRQ

                      On 7/6/07, John Cofy < jcofy@...> wrote:

                      Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

                      Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.
                    • jhaynesatalumni
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Cofy <jcofy@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

                        I don't understand the advice being given here. Things like
                        minicom and seyon are terminal emulator programs, that I guess
                        you could use to talk to a TNC if you didn't have software
                        customized for the TNC. I assumed the original poster was
                        asking about the AX.25 kernel patches that make Linux run
                        as a packet node. (Which is something I have no experience
                        with.)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                          jhaynesatalumni wrote:
                          > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Cofy <jcofy@...> wrote:
                          >> Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.
                          >>
                          > I don't understand the advice being given here. Things like
                          > minicom and seyon are terminal emulator programs, that I guess
                          > you could use to talk to a TNC if you didn't have software
                          > customized for the TNC. I assumed the original poster was
                          > asking about the AX.25 kernel patches that make Linux run
                          > as a packet node. (Which is something I have no experience
                          > with.)

                          From the original post:

                          Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
                          2000's TNC?

                          I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
                          with the 2000.

                          No mention of AX.25 or any kernel patches.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • Jose A. Amador
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                            I am rather puzzled for the interest in terminal mode applications.

                            It has a LOT of limitations. You cannot do binary transfers with that.

                            I prefer a KISS mode TNC, it is a LOT more flexible. I have never used
                            DED TNC's, but rather, DED to KISS "translator" programs with KISS TNC's.

                            I have been a packet sysop since 1992, and used JNOS, FBB and BPQ a lot.

                            If you install the ax25 package you will be able to talk to the TNC in
                            KISS mode, and change parameters on the fly. You can handle not one, but
                            several streams simultaneously, at once, be that a keyboard QSO, a
                            binary download, a DX cluster link, a TCP/IP link or an APRS client, ALL
                            AT ONCE.

                            Linux treats the TNC like another network connection, and you may run
                            different applications that SHARE the TNC at link level.

                            I have used FBB, JNOS and Linpac under Linux. I have not used any
                            environment specific programs, like many that are available for KDE.

                            I am NOT active in packet anymore...well, maybe I will return during my
                            summer holidays, but have been away from that for some 3 years already.

                            Being a witness of the peak packet activity period on HF, I have rather
                            become disenchanted and unmotivated with its loss. It was a pleasure to
                            run a fully fledged HF BBS with good links to the worldwide network.
                            Without that, I find BBS's dull and boring nowadays.

                            73,

                            Jose, CO2JA

                            --------

                            jhaynesatalumni wrote:

                            > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Cofy <jcofy@...> wrote:
                            >> Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.
                            >>

                            > I don't understand the advice being given here. Things like
                            > minicom and seyon are terminal emulator programs, that I guess
                            > you could use to talk to a TNC if you didn't have software
                            > customized for the TNC. I assumed the original poster was
                            > asking about the AX.25 kernel patches that make Linux run
                            > as a packet node. (Which is something I have no experience
                            > with.)

                            Participe en Universidad 2008.
                            11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
                            Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                            http://www.universidad2008.cu
                          • jhaynesatalumni
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 9, 2007
                              OK, I don't know enough about the TS-2000 to know it has
                              a built-in TNC. I am dimly aware that at one time there
                              was some AX.25 stuff in the Linux kernel, as an option.
                            • Bob Nielsen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 9, 2007
                                On Jul 9, 2007, at 9:22 AM, jhaynesatalumni wrote:

                                > OK, I don't know enough about the TS-2000 to know it has
                                > a built-in TNC. I am dimly aware that at one time there
                                > was some AX.25 stuff in the Linux kernel, as an option.

                                The message mentioned that the OP used Ubuntu 7.04, which contains
                                the AX25 and MKISS modules in the default kernel. I suspect that the
                                TNC in the TS-2000 is somewhat limited, but perhaps it supports KISS.

                                Bob, N7XY