Linux Packet Program

  • jcofy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
      Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
      2000's TNC?

      I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
      with the 2000.
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
        jcofy wrote:
        > Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
        > 2000's TNC?
        >
        > I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
        > with the 2000.

        There is Xcall and Xconvers here:

        http://pg4i.chronos.org.uk/linux/

        I've never used them, so don't know if something like this is what you
        are looking for.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
          Rick Kunath wrote:
          > jcofy wrote:
          >> Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
          >> 2000's TNC?
          >>
          >> I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
          >> with the 2000.
          >

          > There is Xcall and Xconvers here:
          >
          > http://pg4i.chronos.org.uk/linux/
          >
          > I've never used them, so don't know if something like this is what you
          > are looking for.
          >
          > Rick Kunath, k9ao

          Another one to look at is minicom. Should be available via apt or synaptic.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
            Rick Kunath wrote:
            > jcofy wrote:
            >> Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
            >> 2000's TNC?
            >>
            >> I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
            >> with the 2000.
            >

            > There is Xcall and Xconvers here:
            >
            > http://pg4i.chronos.org.uk/linux/
            >
            > I've never used them, so don't know if something like this is what you
            > are looking for.
            >
            > Rick Kunath, k9ao

            Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.

            Ed W3NR
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
              Ed wrote:

              > Another one to look at is minicom. Should be available via apt or synaptic.

              Or a GUI version similar to minicom called CuteCom

              Rick Kunath, k9ao
            • Nate Bargmann
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 14:04 -0500]:

                > Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.

                I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed! ;-)

                Truthfully, few packet terminal programs have ever measured up to YAPP
                for simplicity and reliability--and it's what, 21 years old now? Over
                the years I used many programs, some bought, others downloaded to
                trying various offerings on Linux and none matched the suitability of
                YAPP for using packet in the simple TNC terminal mode.

                For advanced usage such as with later multi-mode TNCs used in host
                mode, YAPP was out of its league, of course. In some ways the best bet
                is to find an old DOS packet program and run it in DOSemu. I've run
                both YAPP and KaGold in DOSemu several years ago which should work even
                better these days.

                73, de Nate >>

                --
                Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
                Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                  Nate Bargmann wrote:
                  > * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 14:04 -0500]:
                  >
                  >> Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.
                  >
                  > I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed! ;-)

                  Shoot Nate you take all the fun out of playing Linux and radio....

                  Ed W3NR
                • Nate Bargmann
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                    * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 17:56 -0500]:
                    > Nate Bargmann wrote:
                    > > * Ed <autek@...> [2007 Jul 06 14:04 -0500]:
                    > >
                    > >> Both seyon and minicom are available for Ubuntu.
                    > >
                    > > I thought cruel and unusual punishment was outlawed! ;-)
                    >

                    > Shoot Nate you take all the fun out of playing Linux and radio....

                    Harrr!

                    73, de Nate >>

                    --
                    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
                    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.
                    http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/ | "Debian, the choice of
                    My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @ | a GNU generation!"
                    http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/ | http://www.debian.org
                  • Larry Levesque
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                      GTK-Term works great for me.

                      --
                      Larry Levesque
                      KA1VGM
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6, 2007
                        Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

                      • Dave Cochran
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 7, 2007
                          What's the trick to configuring DOSEMU to recognize the serial ports so programs like Paket can see them?
                          (Granted they are emulated via USB adapters but symlinking /dev/ttyUSB1 to /dev/ttyS3) but everything minicom and other seem happy enough with that to function.

                          Not that it makes a lot of difference running Slackware 12.0 here now :)

                          Dave
                          N0TRQ

                          On 7/6/07, John Cofy < jcofy@...> wrote:

                          Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

                          Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.
                        • jhaynesatalumni
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Cofy <jcofy@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

                            I don't understand the advice being given here. Things like
                            minicom and seyon are terminal emulator programs, that I guess
                            you could use to talk to a TNC if you didn't have software
                            customized for the TNC. I assumed the original poster was
                            asking about the AX.25 kernel patches that make Linux run
                            as a packet node. (Which is something I have no experience
                            with.)
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                              jhaynesatalumni wrote:
                              > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Cofy <jcofy@...> wrote:
                              >> Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.
                              >>
                              > I don't understand the advice being given here. Things like
                              > minicom and seyon are terminal emulator programs, that I guess
                              > you could use to talk to a TNC if you didn't have software
                              > customized for the TNC. I assumed the original poster was
                              > asking about the AX.25 kernel patches that make Linux run
                              > as a packet node. (Which is something I have no experience
                              > with.)

                              From the original post:

                              Is there a Linux packet program that can be used with the Kenwood TS-
                              2000's TNC?

                              I use fldigi with Ubuntu 7.04 for PSK, I would like to do packet also
                              with the 2000.

                              No mention of AX.25 or any kernel patches.

                              Ed W3NR
                            • Jose A. Amador
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 8, 2007
                                I am rather puzzled for the interest in terminal mode applications.

                                It has a LOT of limitations. You cannot do binary transfers with that.

                                I prefer a KISS mode TNC, it is a LOT more flexible. I have never used
                                DED TNC's, but rather, DED to KISS "translator" programs with KISS TNC's.

                                I have been a packet sysop since 1992, and used JNOS, FBB and BPQ a lot.

                                If you install the ax25 package you will be able to talk to the TNC in
                                KISS mode, and change parameters on the fly. You can handle not one, but
                                several streams simultaneously, at once, be that a keyboard QSO, a
                                binary download, a DX cluster link, a TCP/IP link or an APRS client, ALL
                                AT ONCE.

                                Linux treats the TNC like another network connection, and you may run
                                different applications that SHARE the TNC at link level.

                                I have used FBB, JNOS and Linpac under Linux. I have not used any
                                environment specific programs, like many that are available for KDE.

                                I am NOT active in packet anymore...well, maybe I will return during my
                                summer holidays, but have been away from that for some 3 years already.

                                Being a witness of the peak packet activity period on HF, I have rather
                                become disenchanted and unmotivated with its loss. It was a pleasure to
                                run a fully fledged HF BBS with good links to the worldwide network.
                                Without that, I find BBS's dull and boring nowadays.

                                73,

                                Jose, CO2JA

                                --------

                                jhaynesatalumni wrote:

                                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, John Cofy <jcofy@...> wrote:
                                >> Thanks to all for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.
                                >>

                                > I don't understand the advice being given here. Things like
                                > minicom and seyon are terminal emulator programs, that I guess
                                > you could use to talk to a TNC if you didn't have software
                                > customized for the TNC. I assumed the original poster was
                                > asking about the AX.25 kernel patches that make Linux run
                                > as a packet node. (Which is something I have no experience
                                > with.)

                                Participe en Universidad 2008.
                                11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
                                Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                                http://www.universidad2008.cu
                              • jhaynesatalumni
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 9, 2007
                                  OK, I don't know enough about the TS-2000 to know it has
                                  a built-in TNC. I am dimly aware that at one time there
                                  was some AX.25 stuff in the Linux kernel, as an option.
                                • Bob Nielsen
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 9, 2007
                                    On Jul 9, 2007, at 9:22 AM, jhaynesatalumni wrote:

                                    > OK, I don't know enough about the TS-2000 to know it has
                                    > a built-in TNC. I am dimly aware that at one time there
                                    > was some AX.25 stuff in the Linux kernel, as an option.

                                    The message mentioned that the OP used Ubuntu 7.04, which contains
                                    the AX25 and MKISS modules in the default kernel. I suspect that the
                                    TNC in the TS-2000 is somewhat limited, but perhaps it supports KISS.

                                    Bob, N7XY