Re: [linuxham] fl_logbook

  • Gary White
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4 9:19 AM
      Thanks to all.

      Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

      As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
      there. :-)

      73,

      Gary - W5GW

      w1hkj wrote:

      > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
      >
      > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
      >
      > $HOME/.fl_logbook
      >
      > as for example:
      >
      > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
      >
      > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
      > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
      > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
      > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
      >
      > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
      > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
      >
      > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
      > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
      >
      > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

    • Merv Curley
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
        I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
        can't find in the program or on the website.

        I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
        new log file but nothing happens.

        I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
        be, ~/.fldigi I think.

        So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
        digital ways, much appreciated.

        Regards to all

        --
        Merv Curley Ve3DAC
        Toronto, Ont.Can

        Linux Debian Unstable
        KDE v. 3.5.8
        Kmail v. 1.9.7
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
          On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
          Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

          > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
          > can't find in the program or on the website.
          >
          > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
          > new log file but nothing happens.
          >
          > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
          > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
          >
          > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
          > new digital ways, much appreciated.
          >
          > Regards to all

          You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
          logbook.lgb.

          Ed W3NR

          for the fldigi Alpha team
        • Merv Curley
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
            On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

            > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
            > logbook.lgb.

            Thanks Ed.

            I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
            when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

            Just what is 'Files - New' for?

            Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
            psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

            I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
            logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

            Thanks and 73

            --
            Merv Curley Ve3DAC
            Toronto, Ont.Can

            Linux Debian Unstable
            KDE v. 3.5.8
            Kmail v. 1.9.7
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
              On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
              Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

              > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

              In case you want to have more than 1 log.

              > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
              > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

              Simple answer....nope

              > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
              > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
              >
              > Thanks and 73

              Ed W3NR
            • Merv Curley
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                continue using it?

                Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                --
                Merv Curley
                Toronto, Ont.Can

                Linux Debian Unstable