Re: [linuxham] fl_logbook

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
      Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

      The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

      $HOME/.fl_logbook

      as for example:

      /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

      As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
      name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
      it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
      hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

      The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
      I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

      You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
      exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
    • Gary White
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
        Thanks to all.

        Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

        As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
        there. :-)

        73,

        Gary - W5GW

        w1hkj wrote:

        > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
        >
        > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
        >
        > $HOME/.fl_logbook
        >
        > as for example:
        >
        > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
        >
        > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
        > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
        > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
        > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
        >
        > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
        > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
        >
        > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
        > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
        >
        > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

      • Merv Curley
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 14 5:16 PM
          I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
          can't find in the program or on the website.

          I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
          new log file but nothing happens.

          I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
          be, ~/.fldigi I think.

          So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
          digital ways, much appreciated.

          Regards to all

          --
          Merv Curley Ve3DAC
          Toronto, Ont.Can

          Linux Debian Unstable
          KDE v. 3.5.8
          Kmail v. 1.9.7
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 14 5:47 PM
            On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
            Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

            > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
            > can't find in the program or on the website.
            >
            > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
            > new log file but nothing happens.
            >
            > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
            > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
            >
            > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
            > new digital ways, much appreciated.
            >
            > Regards to all

            You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
            logbook.lgb.

            Ed W3NR

            for the fldigi Alpha team
          • Merv Curley
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 14 8:23 PM
              On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

              > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
              > logbook.lgb.

              Thanks Ed.

              I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
              when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

              Just what is 'Files - New' for?

              Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
              psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

              I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
              logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

              Thanks and 73

              --
              Merv Curley Ve3DAC
              Toronto, Ont.Can

              Linux Debian Unstable
              KDE v. 3.5.8
              Kmail v. 1.9.7
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 15 2:40 AM
                On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                Simple answer....nope

                > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                >
                > Thanks and 73

                Ed W3NR
              • Merv Curley
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 23 10:15 AM
                  I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                  beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                  continue using it?

                  Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                  When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                  becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                  Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                  --
                  Merv Curley
                  Toronto, Ont.Can

                  Linux Debian Unstable