Re: [linuxham] fl_logbook

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
      Ed wrote:
      > gawhite512 wrote:
      >> After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
      >> attention to getting the logger to work.
      >>
      >> fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
      >> recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
      >>
      >> When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
      >>
      >> Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
      >>
      >> thanks,
      >>
      >> 73,
      >>
      >> Gary - W5GW
      >
      > Gary, you need to create the following folder
      >
      > .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)
      >
      > open the folder and create an empty folder name it

      Sorry that should be empty file...not folder

      > logbook.lgb

      Ed
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
        Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

        The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

        $HOME/.fl_logbook

        as for example:

        /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

        As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
        name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
        it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
        hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

        The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
        I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

        You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
        exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

        73, Dave, W1HKJ
      • Gary White
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
          Thanks to all.

          Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

          As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
          there. :-)

          73,

          Gary - W5GW

          w1hkj wrote:

          > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
          >
          > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
          >
          > $HOME/.fl_logbook
          >
          > as for example:
          >
          > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
          >
          > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
          > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
          > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
          > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
          >
          > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
          > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
          >
          > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
          > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
          >
          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

        • Merv Curley
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
            I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
            can't find in the program or on the website.

            I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
            new log file but nothing happens.

            I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
            be, ~/.fldigi I think.

            So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
            digital ways, much appreciated.

            Regards to all

            --
            Merv Curley Ve3DAC
            Toronto, Ont.Can

            Linux Debian Unstable
            KDE v. 3.5.8
            Kmail v. 1.9.7
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
              On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
              Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

              > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
              > can't find in the program or on the website.
              >
              > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
              > new log file but nothing happens.
              >
              > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
              > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
              >
              > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
              > new digital ways, much appreciated.
              >
              > Regards to all

              You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
              logbook.lgb.

              Ed W3NR

              for the fldigi Alpha team
            • Merv Curley
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

                > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                > logbook.lgb.

                Thanks Ed.

                I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
                when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

                Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

                Thanks and 73

                --
                Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                Toronto, Ont.Can

                Linux Debian Unstable
                KDE v. 3.5.8
                Kmail v. 1.9.7
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
                  On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                  Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                  > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                  In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                  > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                  > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                  Simple answer....nope

                  > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                  > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                  >
                  > Thanks and 73

                  Ed W3NR
                • Merv Curley
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                    I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                    beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                    continue using it?

                    Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                    When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                    becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                    Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                    --
                    Merv Curley
                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                    Linux Debian Unstable