Re: [linuxham] fl_logbook

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
      gawhite512 wrote:
      > After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
      > attention to getting the logger to work.
      >
      > fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
      > recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
      >
      > When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
      >
      > Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Gary - W5GW

      Gary, you need to create the following folder

      .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)

      open the folder and create an empty folder name it

      logbook.lgb

      That should get you up and running. HTH

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
        Ed wrote:
        > gawhite512 wrote:
        >> After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
        >> attention to getting the logger to work.
        >>
        >> fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
        >> recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
        >>
        >> When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
        >>
        >> Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
        >>
        >> thanks,
        >>
        >> 73,
        >>
        >> Gary - W5GW
        >
        > Gary, you need to create the following folder
        >
        > .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)
        >
        > open the folder and create an empty folder name it

        Sorry that should be empty file...not folder

        > logbook.lgb

        Ed
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
          Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

          The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

          $HOME/.fl_logbook

          as for example:

          /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

          As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
          name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
          it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
          hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

          The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
          I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

          You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
          exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

          73, Dave, W1HKJ
        • Gary White
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
            Thanks to all.

            Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

            As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
            there. :-)

            73,

            Gary - W5GW

            w1hkj wrote:

            > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
            >
            > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
            >
            > $HOME/.fl_logbook
            >
            > as for example:
            >
            > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
            >
            > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
            > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
            > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
            > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
            >
            > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
            > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
            >
            > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
            > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
            >
            > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

          • Merv Curley
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
              I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
              can't find in the program or on the website.

              I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
              new log file but nothing happens.

              I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
              be, ~/.fldigi I think.

              So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
              digital ways, much appreciated.

              Regards to all

              --
              Merv Curley Ve3DAC
              Toronto, Ont.Can

              Linux Debian Unstable
              KDE v. 3.5.8
              Kmail v. 1.9.7
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
                Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                > can't find in the program or on the website.
                >
                > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                > new log file but nothing happens.
                >
                > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
                >
                > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
                > new digital ways, much appreciated.
                >
                > Regards to all

                You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                logbook.lgb.

                Ed W3NR

                for the fldigi Alpha team
              • Merv Curley
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                  On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

                  > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                  > logbook.lgb.

                  Thanks Ed.

                  I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
                  when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

                  Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                  Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                  psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                  I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                  logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

                  Thanks and 73

                  --
                  Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                  Toronto, Ont.Can

                  Linux Debian Unstable
                  KDE v. 3.5.8
                  Kmail v. 1.9.7
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
                    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                    Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                    > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                    In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                    > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                    > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                    Simple answer....nope

                    > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                    > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                    >
                    > Thanks and 73

                    Ed W3NR
                  • Merv Curley
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                      I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                      beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                      continue using it?

                      Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                      When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                      becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                      Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                      --
                      Merv Curley
                      Toronto, Ont.Can

                      Linux Debian Unstable