Puppy Linux on Vmware Fusion

  • Tom W
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 9:09 AM
      Hi to all,
      I just bought a Macbook with Intel Duo 2 Core processor. I'm using
      Cocoamodem and Macloggerdx on OS X. In the past, I've enjoyed using
      fldigi on Ubuntu on my PC making many contacts on different modes.
      I've been thinking of using Puppy Linux on Vmware Fusion on top of Mac
      OS X.
      Has anyone else tried this? I can start Puppy with Vmware but since
      it operates in RAM and there are no NTFS partitions on the Macbook, I
      can't figure how to save the configuration.
      Any ideas?

      Tom W3TW
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 1:20 PM
        Tom W wrote:
        > Hi to all,
        > I just bought a Macbook with Intel Duo 2 Core processor. I'm using
        > Cocoamodem and Macloggerdx on OS X. In the past, I've enjoyed using
        > fldigi on Ubuntu on my PC making many contacts on different modes.
        > I've been thinking of using Puppy Linux on Vmware Fusion on top of Mac
        > OS X.
        > Has anyone else tried this? I can start Puppy with Vmware but since
        > it operates in RAM and there are no NTFS partitions on the Macbook, I
        > can't figure how to save the configuration.
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Tom W3TW

        USB stick ?? Isn't that an option in Puppy ??

        Ed W3NR
      • Tom W
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5 7:11 AM
          Hi Ed,
          If I use the USB stick I think that I would have to have the Puppy
          CD in the CDROM drive to boot it up. I guess I need to see if there is
          a way to configure Puppy to install on the disk. Since I'm running a
          virtual software program, I would save the installed system as a file
          on the OS X filesystem.
          I guess the least complicated way would be to put the ISO file on
          the Mac OS X filesystem and then use VMware to boot off the ISO file.
          That would save me from putting the CD in the drive all the time.
          I have Ubuntu on the Macbook already but I like the simplicity of
          Puppy.
          Thanks for the reply.
          Tom W3TW

          > Tom W wrote:
          > > Hi to all,
          > > I just bought a Macbook with Intel Duo 2 Core processor. I'm using
          > > Cocoamodem and Macloggerdx on OS X. In the past, I've enjoyed using
          > > fldigi on Ubuntu on my PC making many contacts on different modes.
          > > I've been thinking of using Puppy Linux on Vmware Fusion on top of Mac
          > > OS X.
          > > Has anyone else tried this? I can start Puppy with Vmware but since
          > > it operates in RAM and there are no NTFS partitions on the Macbook, I
          > > can't figure how to save the configuration.
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Tom W3TW
          >

          > USB stick ?? Isn't that an option in Puppy ??
          >
          > Ed W3NR

        • Joe Barr
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11 7:10 PM
            If you like, you can dual boot the Macbook. Google for Ubuntu on
            Macbook and it should hook you up with a howto or two. I'm thinking of
            doing that on mine, but I may opt for Vmware or Parallels to run Linux
            on that machine, haven't decided yet.

            On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:09 +0000, Tom W wrote:
            > Hi to all,
            > I just bought a Macbook with Intel Duo 2 Core processor. I'm using
            > Cocoamodem and Macloggerdx on OS X. In the past, I've enjoyed using
            > fldigi on Ubuntu on my PC making many contacts on different modes.
            > I've been thinking of using Puppy Linux on Vmware Fusion on top of Mac
            > OS X.
            > Has anyone else tried this? I can start Puppy with Vmware but since
            > it operates in RAM and there are no NTFS partitions on the Macbook, I
            > can't figure how to save the configuration.
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Tom W3TW
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tom W
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13 9:52 AM
              Joe,
              I like Linux for the sound support. I have a problem with the
              Macbook that I can't have an audio cd playing with the internal sound
              and the iMic USB device with digital modes running under OS X running
              together. I can't adjust them without getting the audio from one
              stream into the other.
              With Linux I can run an audio stream off the Internet on my
              internal sound and have the digital stuff working off the iMic USB
              with my Dell laptop running Ubuntu. I can adjust both independently.
              It would be nice for OS X to be that way. Unless I'm missing something.
              Anyway, if I repartition the drive with boot camp I might get the
              best of both worlds. I still can't get the audio straight VMware.

              Tom W3TW

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Joe Barr <k1gpl@...> wrote:

              > If you like, you can dual boot the Macbook. Google for Ubuntu on
              > Macbook and it should hook you up with a howto or two. I'm thinking of
              > doing that on mine, but I may opt for Vmware or Parallels to run Linux
              > on that machine, haven't decided yet.
              >

              > On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:09 +0000, Tom W wrote:
              > > Hi to all,
              > > I just bought a Macbook with Intel Duo 2 Core processor. I'm using
              > > Cocoamodem and Macloggerdx on OS X. In the past, I've enjoyed using
              > > fldigi on Ubuntu on my PC making many contacts on different modes.
              > > I've been thinking of using Puppy Linux on Vmware Fusion on top of Mac
              > > OS X.
              > > Has anyone else tried this? I can start Puppy with Vmware but since
              > > it operates in RAM and there are no NTFS partitions on the Macbook, I
              > > can't figure how to save the configuration.
              > > Any ideas?
              > >
              > > Tom W3TW
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bob Nielsen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 13 10:09 AM
                On Jul 13, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Tom W wrote:

                > Joe,
                > I like Linux for the sound support. I have a problem with the
                > Macbook that I can't have an audio cd playing with the internal sound
                > and the iMic USB device with digital modes running under OS X running
                > together. I can't adjust them without getting the audio from one
                > stream into the other.
                > With Linux I can run an audio stream off the Internet on my
                > internal sound and have the digital stuff working off the iMic USB
                > with my Dell laptop running Ubuntu. I can adjust both independently.
                > It would be nice for OS X to be that way. Unless I'm missing
                > something.
                > Anyway, if I repartition the drive with boot camp I might get the
                > best of both worlds. I still can't get the audio straight VMware.
                >
                > Tom W3TW

                It's possible to do that with OS X, but requires that the application
                software have the ability to select the audio source, rather than
                defaulting to the selection under System Preferences -> Sound. EyeTV
                does this, but I haven't seen it in any ham applications.

                Bob, N7XY