Re: [linuxham] Re: FLdigi was great to work with on field day

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
      gawhite512 wrote:
      > Dave,
      >
      > You wrote:
      >
      > "You need to know how your linux installation recognizes the USB sound
      > card coded. My Ubuntu finds the SignaLink USB as:
      >
      > "USB Audio CODEC" in the Device Manager, and
      > as /dev/dsp1 for the designated device driver in fldigi."
      >
      > I don't find a Device Manager? I am running Ubuntu with a KDE
      > desktop. Can you point me to where thge Device Manager is?
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Gary - W5GW

      Can a KDE user help Gary out with this. ?? I use Gnome so I'm of no help.

      Ed W3NR
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
        Ed wrote:

        >> "USB Audio CODEC" in the Device Manager, and
        >> as /dev/dsp1 for the designated device driver in fldigi."
        >>
        >> I don't find a Device Manager? I am running Ubuntu with a KDE
        >> desktop. Can you point me to where the Device Manager is?

        <snip>

        > Can a KDE user help Gary out with this. ?? I use Gnome so I'm of no help.

        It's probably not a KDE issue.

        First few questions...

        Are you running ALSA or OSS? If ALSA, is the alsa-oss compatibility lib
        installed?

        If so, what sound cards are installed in the machine? Is there an
        existing PCI or motherboard sound card in addition to the USB card? Is
        that card seen by FLdigi as /dev/dsp ?

        What is the second card seen as? i.e. is there a /dev/dsp1 device? And a
        /dev/mixer1 device?

        Have you added the necessary aliases for the second card (/dev/dsp1)?

        Check this thread for some additional stuff to check (especially the
        kernel module aliasing for multiple sound cards) and get back to us with
        any results :), we'll go from there.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
          Rick Kunath wrote:
          > Ed wrote:
          >
          >>> "USB Audio CODEC" in the Device Manager, and
          >>> as /dev/dsp1 for the designated device driver in fldigi."
          >>>
          >>> I don't find a Device Manager? I am running Ubuntu with a KDE
          >>> desktop. Can you point me to where the Device Manager is?
          >
          > <snip>
          >
          >> Can a KDE user help Gary out with this. ?? I use Gnome so I'm of no help.
          >
          > It's probably not a KDE issue.

          Whew !!! I'm sure glad you showed up. Thanks Rick.

          Ed W3NR
        • Gary White
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
            I now have the SiggnLink up and running with my fldigi as dev1 under the
            soundcard configure window. Turns out KUbuntu recognizes it quite well
            IF I have SignaLink plugged in when I boot.

            Thanks to all for their help.

            73,

            Gary