Issue writing FT-890.xml

  • Nate Bargmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2007
      Since I had my FT-890 out for Field Day, I figured it was as good of a
      time as any to write an XML definition file for it. The good news is
      that it's working at about 90% (CAT PTT is sweet!).

      Where things are getting tripped up is in the modes section (similar to
      the issue I have with the FT-920). Here is my relevant modes section:

      <MODES>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>LSB</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>00</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>USB</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>01</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>CW-W</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>02</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>CW-N</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>03</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>AM-W</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>04</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>AM-N</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>05</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>FM</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>06</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      <ELEMENT>
      <SYMBOL>FM</SYMBOL>
      <BYTE>07</BYTE>
      </ELEMENT>
      </MODES>

      Which is all straight forward and the setting of the modes works
      flawlessly. Unfortunately, it's the accurate reading of the modes that
      is not working.

      Reading the mode requires looking at offset 6 in the VFO/Memory Data
      Record returned by the Status Update command. The modes are defined as
      0=LSB, 1=USB, 2=CW, 3=AM, 4=FM. Figuring out the bandwidth (CW or AM
      Narrow) requires masking bits 6 and 7 of offset 8.

      Given the difference in definition of the modes in the setmode and
      status update commands, when AM is selected on the radio, FLDigi shows
      CW-N (3) and when FM is selected on the radio, FLDigi shows AM-W (4).

      So it would appear that it's necessary for the MODES tag to be split
      into MODE-CMD and MODE-REPLY similar to the BANDWIDTHS tag.

      73, de Nate >>

      --
      Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
      Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.