Re: Second Step?

  • John
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 2, 2012
      Cause of this problem was slow DNS. using 8.8.8.8 - now OK.

      John

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, ki6njf <ki6njf@...> wrote:

      > On Saturday, December 31, 2011 09:24:54 PM you wrote:
      >
      > > I will start the questions.
      > >
      > > One: What do I do about the current error I have with Update 10.10?
      > > When I try to update Ubuntu 10.10 I get an error -- w: failed to fetch

      > The release.gpg error is being generated because ubuntu.com has the file as
      > Release.gpg - note the upper case R. I've rarely had good luck upgrading from
      > one major release version to another. I, now, just do an install from CD or
      > USB stick.
      > >
      > > Two: What is Pulse Audio? Do I have it? Do I need it?
      >
      > Pulse Audio is the default sound system for Maverick
      > >
      > > Three: in the install instructions references are made to versions of
      > > programs i.e. HamLib 1.2.10. Are these the Current versions?
      > Hamlib is included in the Ubuntu repository.
      >
      > you can add fldigi to your repository list by opening a terminal {gnome users
      > feel free to step in here, I use kde} and copy and paste the following 3 lines
      > into that terminal.
      >
      > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kamalmostafa/fldigi
      > sudo apt-get update
      > sudo apt-get install fldigi
      >
      > this will automate the install and future fldigi updates
      > >
      > > Four: From other boards, I read that HamLib was now included in the fldigi
      > > distribution. Is this correct, or do I need to pre install the current
      > > nn.nn? version?
      >
      > the process above will take care of bringing in all of the required software
      > packages.
      >
      > [snip]
      > --
      > 73s
      > jim
      > KI6NJF

    • John Williams
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 2, 2012
        I think that the si570 hamlib support will not need the device filled in. You probably need to add the softrock.rules as Sid described in one of his notes on the softrock list.

        On 1/2/2012 5:03 PM, Ed wrote:

        On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 22:45:07 -0000
        "John" <n0ure@...> wrote:

        > Ed,
        > I am making progress, slowly.
        > I found the source of must of my Update & Upgrade problems. The local
        > ISP DNS server is slow. I set to 8.8.8.8 and upgraded to 11.04. I did
        > have some problems at the start, just a gray screen with no action. I
        > had to go get an unsupported driver for Unity/Nvidia.
        >
        > I got the pavucontrol installed and jumped over to Fldigi config.
        > Hamlib devices now show TTYS0-31 but no USB. The lsusb command
        > follows.
        >
        > John
        >
        > john@clarkHam01:~$ lsusb
        > Bus 007 Device 003: ID 16c0:05dc VOTI shared ID for use with libusb
        > Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        > Bus 006 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion
        > Uninterruptible Power Supply Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux
        > Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c51b Logitech,
        > Inc. V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks Bus 005 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 004 Device 002: ID
        > 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader Bus 004 Device
        > 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 003 Device 001:
        > ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 002 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub john@clarkHam01:~$

        Well you are doing good so far.

        Well Linux found the USB hub, But why didn't fldigi find it.
        The /dev/ttyUSB0) should be the last thing after the serial ports. Only
        thing that I can think of is one of the device's you have plugged in is
        keeping fldigi from seeing the ports.

        If you run fldigi from a terminal are you seeing any errors ?

        Open Synaptic and remove brltty.

        Ed

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm