Re: Second Step?

  • John
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 1, 2012
      Ed,
      I selected PulseAudio.
      When I went to Applications | Sound & Video | there are no PulseAudio items. I go to Applications | Ubuntu Software Center | and try to install Pulse items I get a notice about ' requires installation of untrusted packages" libglademm-2.4-1c2a pavucontrol.
      I don't know where to go from here.

      On config hamlib devices I only have S0 to S3 devices, no USB devices to select. ??

      john

      > On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 01:50:41 -0000
      > "John" <n0ure@...> wrote:
      >
      > > OK Ed, that all went well. When I got to a the Audio config I
      > > selected Delta 44 for both in and out. When I got to the Rig config I
      > > went direct to Hamlib, selected use hamlib and selected Softrock
      > > Si570. When I clicked Initialize I got an error. I'm going to assume
      > > that there is a system assignment for the USB device that needs to be
      > > made at the system level? I am concerned about the TX tone level.
      > > Keeping the level very low is the only control over the Softrock TX
      > > power. It is easy to burn it up with a high audio level. I did a
      > > search of the messages but did not get a good hit for the
      > > USB-Softrock assignments.
      > >
      > > john
      >

      > It sounds as though you selected port audio, if so we need to change
      > that. Open the Sound Card tab and select pulse, there soulld be nothing
      > checked in the next 2 tabs. On the last tab check the 2nd box. Save and
      > close. Close fldigi.
      >
      > Open the Applications Menu and select Audio & Video.. Open the
      > Pulseaudio volume control. Select the output tab and move the sliders
      > all the way to the left. That will mute the audio output for now.
      >
      > Open a terminal and start fldigi from there and we need to know the
      > specific error or errors that you see. Are you using USB for rig
      > control ? If so you will need to select /dev/ttyUSB0.
      >
      > Lets us know how you make out.
      >
      > Ed W3NR

    • John Williams
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 2, 2012
        I think that the si570 hamlib support will not need the device filled in. You probably need to add the softrock.rules as Sid described in one of his notes on the softrock list.

        On 1/2/2012 5:03 PM, Ed wrote:

        On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 22:45:07 -0000
        "John" <n0ure@...> wrote:

        > Ed,
        > I am making progress, slowly.
        > I found the source of must of my Update & Upgrade problems. The local
        > ISP DNS server is slow. I set to 8.8.8.8 and upgraded to 11.04. I did
        > have some problems at the start, just a gray screen with no action. I
        > had to go get an unsupported driver for Unity/Nvidia.
        >
        > I got the pavucontrol installed and jumped over to Fldigi config.
        > Hamlib devices now show TTYS0-31 but no USB. The lsusb command
        > follows.
        >
        > John
        >
        > john@clarkHam01:~$ lsusb
        > Bus 007 Device 003: ID 16c0:05dc VOTI shared ID for use with libusb
        > Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        > Bus 006 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion
        > Uninterruptible Power Supply Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux
        > Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c51b Logitech,
        > Inc. V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks Bus 005 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 004 Device 002: ID
        > 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader Bus 004 Device
        > 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 003 Device 001:
        > ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 002 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub john@clarkHam01:~$

        Well you are doing good so far.

        Well Linux found the USB hub, But why didn't fldigi find it.
        The /dev/ttyUSB0) should be the last thing after the serial ports. Only
        thing that I can think of is one of the device's you have plugged in is
        keeping fldigi from seeing the ports.

        If you run fldigi from a terminal are you seeing any errors ?

        Open Synaptic and remove brltty.

        Ed

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm