Re: Second Step?

  • John
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 31, 2011
      Ed, you know something I didn't see were any options for IQ input in the audio section?

      john

      > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:24:54 -0000
      > "John" <n0ure@...> wrote:
      >
      > > OK Ed,
      > > I will start the questions.
      > >
      > > One: What do I do about the current error I have with Update 10.10?
      > > When I try to update Ubuntu 10.10 I get an error -- w: failed to fetch
      >
      > Unless you absolutely cannot live with the latest and greatest, you are
      > fine right where you are. You want to work on learning your way around
      > Linux and Ubuntu. Upgrading can come later.
      >
      > The upgrade process has always been plagued with problems. Most people
      > just do a clean install of the latest version.
      >
      > Personally stay where you are for now.
      >
      > > Two: What is Pulse Audio? Do I have it? Do I need it?
      >
      > Pulse audio is a sound server and is installed by default in Ubuntu.
      > Look under Applications > Sound & Video. You may be missing bits and
      > pieces, if you open Synaptic, search for Pulse. Ask first if you
      > really need all that you will find. Pulse is the de facto preference
      > for fldigi.
      >
      > > Three: in the install instructions references are made to versions of
      > > programs i.e. HamLib 1.2.10. Are these the Current versions?
      >
      > If you follow the link that I sent before you will have all the
      > versions you will need to use fldigi.
      >
      > http://www.w1hkj.com/LaunchpadInstall.html
      >
      > > Four: From other boards, I read that HamLib was now included in the
      > > fldigi distribution. Is this correct, or do I need to pre install the
      > > current nn.nn? version?
      >
      > Hamlib has been a part of fldigi for several years. If you follow the
      > above, the current needed version will be installed for you.
      >
      > Be careful of the "advice" from boards other than here. This is the
      > official list for fldigi. There are many experienced Linux users that
      > are more than willing to help. Also Dave W1HKJ is the list owner and
      > the developer of fldigi and is always available to answer questions if
      > needed.
      >
      > You might want to read on posts to this board from about 2009 and on.
      >
      > Ed W3NR

    • John Williams
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 2, 2012
        I think that the si570 hamlib support will not need the device filled in. You probably need to add the softrock.rules as Sid described in one of his notes on the softrock list.

        On 1/2/2012 5:03 PM, Ed wrote:

        On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 22:45:07 -0000
        "John" <n0ure@...> wrote:

        > Ed,
        > I am making progress, slowly.
        > I found the source of must of my Update & Upgrade problems. The local
        > ISP DNS server is slow. I set to 8.8.8.8 and upgraded to 11.04. I did
        > have some problems at the start, just a gray screen with no action. I
        > had to go get an unsupported driver for Unity/Nvidia.
        >
        > I got the pavucontrol installed and jumped over to Fldigi config.
        > Hamlib devices now show TTYS0-31 but no USB. The lsusb command
        > follows.
        >
        > John
        >
        > john@clarkHam01:~$ lsusb
        > Bus 007 Device 003: ID 16c0:05dc VOTI shared ID for use with libusb
        > Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        > Bus 006 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion
        > Uninterruptible Power Supply Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux
        > Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c51b Logitech,
        > Inc. V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks Bus 005 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 004 Device 002: ID
        > 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader Bus 004 Device
        > 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 003 Device 001:
        > ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub Bus 002 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID
        > 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub john@clarkHam01:~$

        Well you are doing good so far.

        Well Linux found the USB hub, But why didn't fldigi find it.
        The /dev/ttyUSB0) should be the last thing after the serial ports. Only
        thing that I can think of is one of the device's you have plugged in is
        keeping fldigi from seeing the ports.

        If you run fldigi from a terminal are you seeing any errors ?

        Open Synaptic and remove brltty.

        Ed

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm