Signalink USB - "Connection timed out"

  • raynethf
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2011
      Hi,
      I'm looking for a little inspiration with a fldigi/signalink USB problem I'm experiencing :-(.

      I'm using Fldigi 3.21.33 compiled from source on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64 bit ). Processor is a Celeron Dual core at 1.9GHz with 3GB of RAM.
      I configure the Signalink on each use and use Portaudio in the configure menu.

      I repeatedly get "Sound error: Connection timed out" messages which hang fldigi for seconds, minutes or just crash it altogether :-( The problem showed first when trying to use MFSK16 and appeared to reduce when I tried PSK125R later in the day.

      Looking through the archives I have seen that RF in the shack could be a contributor so left the machine running today just on receive and still had the same problems :-( It will occur when monitoring just noise and may be more frequent if tracking modes on a PSKmail server using RSID but I haven't been able to gaze long enough at the screen to try and match the two events.

      A full debug of one cycle of the problem is below and was when the system was monitoring a blank channel.

      There is only one possible other clue in the /var/log/messages file which occasionally shows;
      "Dec 30 12:15:38 europa pulseaudio[1799]: alsa-mixer.c: Your kernel driver is broken: it reports a volume range from 0.00 dB to 0.00 dB which makes no sense." but this does not occur at the same time as the fldigi error messages and when the system does receive/transmit the audio does get through...

      I hope that this is enough information, has anyone got any ideas what I can try next ?

      Thanks & 73,
      Greg, G0DUB

      Q: main: fldigi 3.21.33 log started on Fri Dec 30 16:32:34 2011

      Q: log_excluded_modes: CWID : CW
      Q: log_excluded_modes: VIDEOID : CW BPSK31 RTTY
      I: testCommPorts: Found serial port /dev/ttyS0
      I: testCommPorts: Found serial port /dev/ttyS1
      I: testCommPorts: Found serial port /dev/ttyS2
      I: testCommPorts: Found serial port /dev/ttyS3E: [17:43:12] trx/trx.cxx:245: Sound error: Connection timed out
      D: [17:43:12] soundcard/sound.cxx:1297: looking for device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)"
      D: [17:43:12] soundcard/sound.cxx:1367: using input (1 ch) device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)":
      index: 2
      name: USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)
      host API: ALSA
      max input channels: 2
      max output channels: 2
      default sample rate: 44100
      supported sample rates: 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
      input only: false
      output only: false
      full duplex: true
      system default input: false
      system default output: false
      host API default input: false
      host API default output: false
      default low input latency: 0.01161
      default high input latency: 0.0464399
      default low output latency: 0.01161
      default high output latency: 0.0464399

      D: [17:43:12] soundcard/sound.cxx:1373: input: resampling 44100.000000 <=> 8000.000000
      D: [17:43:12] soundcard/sound.cxx:1241: input rbsize=16384
      E: [17:43:36] trx/trx.cxx:245: Sound error: Connection timed out
      D: [17:43:36] soundcard/sound.cxx:1297: looking for device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)"
      D: [17:43:36] soundcard/sound.cxx:1367: using input (1 ch) device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)":
      index: 2
      name: USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)
      host API: ALSA
      max input channels: 2
      max output channels: 2
      default sample rate: 44100
      supported sample rates: 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
      input only: false
      output only: false
      full duplex: true
      system default input: false
      system default output: false
      host API default input: false
      host API default output: false
      default low input latency: 0.01161
      default high input latency: 0.0464399
      default low output latency: 0.01161
      default high output latency: 0.0464399

      D: [17:43:36] soundcard/sound.cxx:1373: input: resampling 44100.000000 <=> 8000.000000
      D: [17:43:36] soundcard/sound.cxx:1241: input rbsize=16384
    • yrjo_1
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2011
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "raynethf" <gregm@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > index: 2
        > name: USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)
        > host API: ALSA
        > max input channels: 2
        > max output channels: 2
        > default sample rate: 44100
        > supported sample rates: 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
        > input only: false
        > output only: false
        > full duplex: true
        > system default input: false
        > system default output: false
        > host API default input: false
        > host API default output: false
        > default low input latency: 0.01161
        > default high input latency: 0.0464399
        > default low output latency: 0.01161
        > default high output latency: 0.0464399
        >
        > D: [17:43:36] soundcard/sound.cxx:1373: input: resampling 44100.000000 <=> 8000.000000
        > D: [17:43:36] soundcard/sound.cxx:1241: input rbsize=16384

        Hi!
        When you compiled fldigi did you read all the configuration options?
        I remember configuring fldigi from source once. I had to add configure option ./configure --with-portaudio and so on... Also there was same the cpu optimisation (-enable) options involved. Of course it is easier the install fldigi from binary.
        Yrjö OH2GUF
      • raynethf
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2011
          Hi Yrjö,
          thanks for the comments, it has helped me get a stable system again :-)

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "yrjo_1" <ypokkinen@...> wrote:
          > When you compiled fldigi did you read all the configuration options?

          I had not since ./configure never reported any errors or warnings but I rechecked and could not see anything too relevant to what I was trying to do.

          > I remember configuring fldigi from source once. I had to add configure option ./configure --with-portaudio and so on... Also there was same the cpu optimisation (-enable) options involved. Of course it is easier the install fldigi from binary.

          I downloaded the binary and tried it but it will not run because of a missing file;

          "fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

          I thought I had got all the relevant portaudio packages loaded but tried adding one more from synaptic which still did not work. Adding the package though did uninstall a different libportaudio package. I tried recompiling the software again and now the portaudio options are greyed out in the soundcard configuration leaving me only with OSS. I tried this anyway and the signalink and fldigi have worked well together for >6 hours with no problems :-)

          So I now have a system I can use and I will keep trying to get the portaudio issues resolved.

          Thanks & 73,
          Greg, G0DUB
        • yrjo_1
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "raynethf" <gregm@...> wrote:

            > Hi Yrjö,
            > thanks for the comments, it has helped me get a stable system again :-)
            >
            > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "yrjo_1" <ypokkinen@> wrote:
            > > When you compiled fldigi did you read all the configuration options?
            >
            > I had not since ./configure never reported any errors or warnings but I rechecked and could not see anything too relevant to what I was trying to do.
            >
            > > I remember configuring fldigi from source once. I had to add configure option ./configure --with-portaudio and so on... Also there was same the cpu optimisation (-enable) options involved. Of course it is easier the install fldigi from binary.
            >
            > I downloaded the binary and tried it but it will not run because of a missing file;
            >
            > "fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
            >
            > I thought I had got all the relevant portaudio packages loaded but tried adding one more from synaptic which still did not work. Adding the package though did uninstall a different libportaudio package. I tried recompiling the software again and now the portaudio options are greyed out in the soundcard configuration leaving me only with OSS. I tried this anyway and the signalink and fldigi have worked well together for >6 hours with no problems :-)
            >
            > So I now have a system I can use and I will keep trying to get the portaudio issues resolved.
            >
            > Thanks & 73,
            > Greg, G0DUB

            Hi Greg,
            It seems to me you are still missing same libportaudio packages.
            I have ubuntu 10.04 too and I have compiled fldigi ok with my libportaudio packages which are in the synaptic: libportaudio2(19+svn20090620-0),
            libportaudio0(18.1-7.1) and libportaudiocpp0(19+svn20090620-0).
            With this combination compiling should go smoothly:-)
            73's and Good New Year 2012!
            Yrjö, OH2GUF
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
              On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 13:20:52 -0000
              "yrjo_1" <ypokkinen@...> wrote:

              > > Hi Yrjö,
              > > thanks for the comments, it has helped me get a stable
              > > system again :-)
              > >
              > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "yrjo_1" <ypokkinen@> wrote:
              > > > When you compiled fldigi did you read all the configuration
              > > > options?
              > >
              > > I had not since ./configure never reported any errors or warnings
              > > but I rechecked and could not see anything too relevant to what I
              > > was trying to do.
              > >
              > > > I remember configuring fldigi from source once. I had to add
              > > > configure option ./configure --with-portaudio and so on... Also
              > > > there was same the cpu optimisation (-enable) options involved.
              > > > Of course it is easier the install fldigi from binary.
              > >
              > > I downloaded the binary and tried it but it will not run because of
              > > a missing file;
              > >
              > > "fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2:
              > > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
              > >
              > > I thought I had got all the relevant portaudio packages loaded but
              > > tried adding one more from synaptic which still did not work.
              > > Adding the package though did uninstall a different libportaudio
              > > package. I tried recompiling the software again and now the
              > > portaudio options are greyed out in the soundcard configuration
              > > leaving me only with OSS. I tried this anyway and the signalink and
              > > fldigi have worked well together for >6 hours with no problems :-)
              > >
              > > So I now have a system I can use and I will keep trying to get the
              > > portaudio issues resolved.
              > >
              > > Thanks & 73,
              > > Greg, G0DUB
              > >
              > Hi Greg,
              > It seems to me you are still missing same libportaudio packages.
              > I have ubuntu 10.04 too and I have compiled fldigi ok with my
              > libportaudio packages which are in the synaptic:
              > libportaudio2(19+svn20090620-0), libportaudio0(18.1-7.1) and
              > libportaudiocpp0(19+svn20090620-0). With this combination compiling
              > should go smoothly:-) 73's and Good New Year 2012! Yrjö, OH2GUF

              Open a terminal ::

              sudo apt-get build-dep fldigi.

              Now recompile fldigi.

              Ed W3NR
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
                On Sunday, January 01, 2012 01:20:52 PM you wrote:
                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "raynethf" <gregm@...> wrote:
                > > Hi Yrjö,
                > >
                > > thanks for the comments, it has helped me get a stable
                > > system again :-)

                You do know that if you intend to build from source you are going to need the
                devel packages that match the dependent libraries, right?

                Without these the compiler can't compile in support for a given lib.

                The config script should have pointed out anything missing.

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • raynethf
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
                  Hi everyone,
                  thanks for the suggestions so far.

                  Yrjö - I did have the libportaudio2(19+svn20090620-0),
                  libportaudio0(18.1-7.1) and libportaudiocpp0(19+svn20090620-0) packages installed in Synaptic. Looking again at the ./configure output Portaudio was shown as 'no' when it finished ( though with no warnings or any declaration of error ) but the portaudio options were there in the sound card configuration screen.

                  Ed - sudo apt-get build-dep fldigi was a good call, when I ran that I got the following output;

                  The following packages will be REMOVED
                  libportaudio-dev
                  The following NEW packages will be installed
                  build-essential cvs debhelper dpkg-dev fakeroot gettext html2text
                  intltool-debian libflac-dev libhamlib-dev libmail-sendmail-perl libogg-dev libsndfile1-dev libsys-hostname-long-perl libusb-dev libvorbis-dev libxmlrpc-c3-dev libxmlrpc-core-c3-dev patch po-debconf portaudio19-dev xz-utils

                  Rick - The above command brought portaudio19-dev back in my system after the automatic uninstall mentioned in an earlier post and replaced the libportaudio-dev I had put in manually through synaptic when I went through the same thought process as you.

                  So, today's outcome after leaving the system monitoring 10.148MHz? I still get timeouts :-(

                  I was able to watch things happening for a while when propagation was fairly good and did get the idea that the timeout seemed associated with an RSID event such as this one in the debug log;

                  D: [11:56:09] soundcard/mixer.cxx:117: Sound mixer initial state:
                  Dev mask: 10
                  Rec mask: 00
                  Rec src: 00
                  Current input source #: Vol
                  Line level: 0.190000
                  Mic level: 0.190000
                  Pcm level: 0.800000
                  Vol level: 0.800000

                  D: [11:56:09] soundcard/sound.cxx:1297: looking for device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)"
                  D: [11:56:09] soundcard/sound.cxx:1367: using input (1 ch) device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)":
                  index: 2
                  name: USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)
                  host API: ALSA
                  max input channels: 2
                  max output channels: 2
                  default sample rate: 44100
                  supported sample rates: 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
                  input only: false
                  output only: false
                  full duplex: true
                  system default input: false
                  system default output: false
                  host API default input: false
                  host API default output: false
                  default low input latency: 0.01161
                  default high input latency: 0.0464399
                  default low output latency: 0.01161
                  default high output latency: 0.0464399

                  D: [11:56:09] soundcard/sound.cxx:1373: input: resampling 44100.000000 <=> 8000.000000
                  D: [11:56:09] soundcard/sound.cxx:1241: input rbsize=16384
                  I: [11:56:16] rsid/rsid.cxx:513: RSID: PSK500R @ 1001 Hz
                  D: [11:56:16] soundcard/sound.cxx:1297: looking for device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)"
                  D: [11:56:16] soundcard/sound.cxx:1367: using input (1 ch) device "USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)":
                  index: 2
                  name: USB Audio CODEC : USB Audio (hw:1,0)
                  host API: ALSA
                  max input channels: 2
                  max output channels: 2
                  default sample rate: 44100
                  supported sample rates: 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
                  input only: false
                  output only: false
                  full duplex: true
                  system default input: false
                  system default output: false
                  host API default input: false
                  host API default output: false
                  default low input latency: 0.01161
                  default high input latency: 0.0464399
                  default low output latency: 0.01161
                  default high output latency: 0.0464399

                  D: [11:56:16] soundcard/sound.cxx:1373: input: resampling 44100.000000 <=> 8000.000000
                  D: [11:56:16] soundcard/sound.cxx:1241: input rbsize=16384

                  Other times though I just get a timeout with no associated signal/RSID event at all :-( A quick run with OSS instead of Portaudio using the Signalink went through many RSID events with no problems at all.

                  Next steps? I can try Portaudio with the laptop internal soundcard and a simple audio interface but I don't expect any problems if I do that on previous experience. I have found a very simple USB sound dongle which I can then try under Portaudio to see if it is a generic USB or a specific Signalink issue. Meanwhile if I have to use the software in any anger it will have to be OSS for reliability.

                  73,
                  Greg, G0DUB