Fldigi on Ubuntu 7.04 for a novice?

  • shaines314
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
      I've got Ubuntu running on a generic PC. I have been able to make a
      QSO or two on psk31 using gMFSK and TWPSK, though I'm not impressed
      with the decoding of either compared to MMTTY/MMVARI.

      I really want to try Fldigi, but I want to go REAL SLOW on the
      installation. I've screwed up more linux installations than I care to
      admit by rushing into things!

      Some questions about hamlib before trying FLTK and Fldigi:

      I have installed "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 from Ubuntu
      repository. Will this be suitable for Fldigi?

      There is a bunch of other possibilities that all start with
      "libhamlib2" followed by a suffix. Do I need any of the following
      packages: (libhamlib2)++c2, -perl, -tcl, -dev, ++-dev, -doc, -utils,
      or "python-libhamlib2"??

      Thanks from the Paraguayan Chaco, Steve ZP9EH
    • David Vrona
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
        Take a look at the client install guide I wrote for PSKmail on Ubuntu.
        Consider installing a version that doesn't require you to install
        libraries.

        On 6/27/07, shaines314 <stevehaines@...> wrote:
        > I've got Ubuntu running on a generic PC. I have been able to make a
        > QSO or two on psk31 using gMFSK and TWPSK, though I'm not impressed
        > with the decoding of either compared to MMTTY/MMVARI.
        >
        > I really want to try Fldigi, but I want to go REAL SLOW on the
        > installation. I've screwed up more linux installations than I care to
        > admit by rushing into things!
        >
        > Some questions about hamlib before trying FLTK and Fldigi:
        >
        > I have installed "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 from Ubuntu
        > repository. Will this be suitable for Fldigi?
        >
        > There is a bunch of other possibilities that all start with
        > "libhamlib2" followed by a suffix. Do I need any of the following
        > packages: (libhamlib2)++c2, -perl, -tcl, -dev, ++-dev, -doc, -utils,
        > or "python-libhamlib2"??
        >
        > Thanks from the Paraguayan Chaco, Steve ZP9EH

      • m3gxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
          Hi Steve,
          Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
          first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.

          Ian
          M3GXX

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "shaines314" <stevehaines@...> wrote:

          > I've got Ubuntu running on a generic PC. I have been able to make a
          > QSO or two on psk31 using gMFSK and TWPSK, though I'm not impressed
          > with the decoding of either compared to MMTTY/MMVARI.
          >
          > I really want to try Fldigi, but I want to go REAL SLOW on the
          > installation. I've screwed up more linux installations than I care to
          > admit by rushing into things!
          >
          > Some questions about hamlib before trying FLTK and Fldigi:
          >
          > I have installed "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 from Ubuntu
          > repository. Will this be suitable for Fldigi?
          >
          > There is a bunch of other possibilities that all start with
          > "libhamlib2" followed by a suffix. Do I need any of the following
          > packages: (libhamlib2)++c2, -perl, -tcl, -dev, ++-dev, -doc, -utils,
          > or "python-libhamlib2"??
          >
          > Thanks from the Paraguayan Chaco, Steve ZP9EH

        • Ian - M3GXX
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
            On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 15:28 +0000, m3gxx wrote:
            Hi Steve,
            Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
            first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.

            Ian
            M3GXX

            Also see my post on the forum regarding the X11 error

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
              shaines314 wrote:
              > I've got Ubuntu running on a generic PC. I have been able to make a
              > QSO or two on psk31 using gMFSK and TWPSK, though I'm not impressed
              > with the decoding of either compared to MMTTY/MMVARI.
              >
              > I really want to try Fldigi, but I want to go REAL SLOW on the
              > installation. I've screwed up more linux installations than I care to
              > admit by rushing into things!
              >
              > Some questions about hamlib before trying FLTK and Fldigi:
              >
              > I have installed "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 from Ubuntu
              > repository. Will this be suitable for Fldigi?
              >
              > There is a bunch of other possibilities that all start with
              > "libhamlib2" followed by a suffix. Do I need any of the following
              > packages: (libhamlib2)++c2, -perl, -tcl, -dev, ++-dev, -doc, -utils,
              > or "python-libhamlib2"??
              >
              > Thanks from the Paraguayan Chaco, Steve ZP9EH

              Steve, you will need the -dev and -utils. I would recommend that you use
              the binary version of fldig as that is all that will need to be
              installed other than the libhamlib. Compiling from source is a tricky
              road if you are novice.

              Ed W3NR
            • shaines314
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "m3gxx" <ian.m3gxx@...> wrote:

                > Hi Steve,
                > Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
                > first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.
                >
                > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254
                >
                > Ian
                > M3GXX
                Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going to try
                to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "shaines314" <stevehaines@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I've got Ubuntu running on a generic PC. I have been able to make a
                > > QSO or two on psk31 using gMFSK and TWPSK, though I'm not impressed
                > > with the decoding of either compared to MMTTY/MMVARI.
                > >
                > > I really want to try Fldigi, but I want to go REAL SLOW on the
                > > installation. I've screwed up more linux installations than I care to
                > > admit by rushing into things!
                > >
                > > Some questions about hamlib before trying FLTK and Fldigi:
                > >
                > > I have installed "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 from Ubuntu
                > > repository. Will this be suitable for Fldigi?
                > >
                > > There is a bunch of other possibilities that all start with
                > > "libhamlib2" followed by a suffix. Do I need any of the following
                > > packages: (libhamlib2)++c2, -perl, -tcl, -dev, ++-dev, -doc, -utils,
                > > or "python-libhamlib2"??
                > >
                > > Thanks from the Paraguayan Chaco, Steve ZP9EH

              • Bob Nielsen
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                  Actually the Ubuntu 7.04 packaged versions of libhamlib2 and fltk1.1
                  are compatible with fldigi.
                  The cc+, tcl, perl versions of libhamlib add extensions for
                  applications requiring them. The -dev is needed if you are compiling
                  an application which uses the library. The utils are useful for
                  things like rigctl.

                  Bob, N7XY

                  On Jun 27, 2007, at 11:55 AM, shaines314 wrote:

                  > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "m3gxx" <ian.m3gxx@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Steve,
                  >> Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
                  >> first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.
                  >>
                  >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254
                  >>
                  >> Ian
                  >> M3GXX
                  > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going to try
                  > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                  > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                • shaines314
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:

                    > Actually the Ubuntu 7.04 packaged versions of libhamlib2 and fltk1.1
                    > are compatible with fldigi.
                    > The cc+, tcl, perl versions of libhamlib add extensions for
                    > applications requiring them. The -dev is needed if you are compiling
                    > an application which uses the library. The utils are useful for
                    > things like rigctl.
                    >
                    > Bob, N7XY

                    That would be great news Bob. So after downloading those two through
                    Synaptic, I should be ready to work with the Fldigi tarball?? Any
                    advantage to using the one with hamlib support as opposed to the
                    binary that does not reference hamlib?

                    I might add that I couldn't make headway with the Ubuntu guide by
                    dberg. I got as far as the "sudo checkinstall -D" for the hamlib
                    package and got this error message:

                    Selecting previously deselected package hamlib.
                    (Reading database ... 119140 files and directories currently installed.)
                    Unpacking hamlib (from .../hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb) ...
                    dpkg: error processing
                    /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.
                    deb (--install):
                    trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nm', which is also in package binutils
                    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                    /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb

                    Would I bomb the installation if I just deleted the hamlib directory
                    and tried the packages in the repository through Synaptic?

                    de Steve ZP9EH

                    > On Jun 27, 2007, at 11:55 AM, shaines314 wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "m3gxx" <ian.m3gxx@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> Hi Steve,
                    > >> Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
                    > >> first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.
                    > >>
                    > >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254
                    > >>
                    > >> Ian
                    > >> M3GXX
                    > > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going to try
                    > > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                    > > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                  • Bob Nielsen
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                      On Jun 27, 2007, at 1:01 PM, shaines314 wrote:

                      > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Actually the Ubuntu 7.04 packaged versions of libhamlib2 and fltk1.1
                      >> are compatible with fldigi.
                      >> The cc+, tcl, perl versions of libhamlib add extensions for
                      >> applications requiring them. The -dev is needed if you are compiling
                      >> an application which uses the library. The utils are useful for
                      >> things like rigctl.
                      >>
                      >> Bob, N7XY
                      >
                      > That would be great news Bob. So after downloading those two through
                      > Synaptic, I should be ready to work with the Fldigi tarball?? Any
                      > advantage to using the one with hamlib support as opposed to the
                      > binary that does not reference hamlib?
                      >
                      > I might add that I couldn't make headway with the Ubuntu guide by
                      > dberg. I got as far as the "sudo checkinstall -D" for the hamlib
                      > package and got this error message:
                      >
                      > Selecting previously deselected package hamlib.
                      > (Reading database ... 119140 files and directories currently
                      > installed.)
                      > Unpacking hamlib (from .../hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb) ...
                      > dpkg: error processing
                      > /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.
                      > deb (--install):
                      > trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nm', which is also in package binutils
                      > dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                      > /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb
                      >
                      > Would I bomb the installation if I just deleted the hamlib directory
                      > and tried the packages in the repository through Synaptic?

                      Since the installation didn't complete, I suspect that should work.
                      I believe that checkinstall actually installs in a temporary location
                      from which it creates the package.

                      Bob, N7XY
                    • David Vrona
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                        Steve,

                        Can we back up a bit?

                        1) Are you sure you need hamlib ???  Often you don't.

                        2) What radio do you have?

                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
                          shaines314 wrote:
                          > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "m3gxx" <ian.m3gxx@...> wrote:
                          >> Hi Steve,
                          >> Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
                          >> first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.
                          >>
                          >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254
                          >>
                          >> Ian
                          >> M3GXX
                          > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going to try
                          > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                          > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH
                          >
                          >> --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "shaines314" <stevehaines@> wrote:
                          >>> I've got Ubuntu running on a generic PC. I have been able to make a
                          >>> QSO or two on psk31 using gMFSK and TWPSK, though I'm not impressed
                          >>> with the decoding of either compared to MMTTY/MMVARI.
                          >>>
                          >>> I really want to try Fldigi, but I want to go REAL SLOW on the
                          >>> installation. I've screwed up more linux installations than I care to
                          >>> admit by rushing into things!
                          >>>
                          >>> Some questions about hamlib before trying FLTK and Fldigi:
                          >>>
                          >>> I have installed "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 from Ubuntu
                          >>> repository. Will this be suitable for Fldigi?
                          >>>
                          >>> There is a bunch of other possibilities that all start with
                          >>> "libhamlib2" followed by a suffix. Do I need any of the following
                          >>> packages: (libhamlib2)++c2, -perl, -tcl, -dev, ++-dev, -doc, -utils,
                          >>> or "python-libhamlib2"??
                          >>>
                          >>> Thanks from the Paraguayan Chaco, Steve ZP9EH

                          This is complete overkill to install fldigi on Ubuntu. Why is it so
                          necessary to use the source pkgs when the binary is readily available.
                          There is NO advantage between the two. The binary is hands down easier
                          to install than the source will ever be. Here is an easy to follow how-to.

                          If you are going to need hamlib rather than Dave's xml you will need to
                          install via apt or synaptic the following:

                          libhamlib
                          libhamlib -dev
                          libhamlib -util

                          Now from the desktop >> places >> home folder >> file >> create folder.
                          Name the folder fldigi for ease of install.

                          Now navigate to:

                          http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

                          and double click on:

                          fldigi-1.342.bin.tgz

                          This will open File roller, tell file roller to extract the files to the
                          fldigi folder using the browse button. Thats it you are done. fldigi
                          is installed and ready to use. Open a terminal and cd to /fldigi and
                          issue the following as user ./fldigi, or go to the fldigi folder and
                          double click on the fldigi executable. The help files will get you up
                          and going. The most common error is not using the correct syntax for the
                          comports, it needs to be the following:

                          /dev/ttySx with x being the comport you need. Remember that Linux
                          numbers comports starting with 0 (zero).

                          Any questions, please feel free to ask.

                          Ed W3NR
                          alpha tester...part-time list administrator...I also sweep the floors
                        • Stephen Haines
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 28, 2007
                            Hi David,

                            I assumed from the Fldigi website that hamlib and fltk were required. My
                            radio is an of FT-757GXii with limited CAT capabilities, but I'm not
                            trying to do anything with rig control yet.

                            Bob (I think) said that the current versions of libhamlib2 and
                            libfltk1.1 in the Ubuntu repositories are compatible with Fldigi, so I
                            think I'll be ready to try installing Fldigi later tonight. 73 de Steve
                            ZP9EH
                            David Vrona wrote:

                            > Steve,
                            >
                            > Can we back up a bit?
                            >
                            > 1) Are you sure you need hamlib ??? Often you don't.
                            >
                            > 2) What radio do you have?
                            >
                            > Dave
                            >

                            > On 6/27/07, * shaines314* <shaines@...
                            > <mailto:shaines@...>> wrote:
                            >
                            > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:linuxham%40yahoogroups.com>, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Actually the Ubuntu 7.04 packaged versions of libhamlib2 and fltk1.1
                            > > are compatible with fldigi.
                            > > The cc+, tcl, perl versions of libhamlib add extensions for
                            > > applications requiring them. The -dev is needed if you are compiling
                            > > an application which uses the library. The utils are useful for
                            > > things like rigctl.
                            > >
                            > > Bob, N7XY
                            >
                            > That would be great news Bob. So after downloading those two through
                            > Synaptic, I should be ready to work with the Fldigi tarball?? Any
                            > advantage to using the one with hamlib support as opposed to the
                            > binary that does not reference hamlib?
                            >
                            > I might add that I couldn't make headway with the Ubuntu guide by
                            > dberg. I got as far as the "sudo checkinstall -D" for the hamlib
                            > package and got this error message:
                            >
                            > Selecting previously deselected package hamlib.
                            > (Reading database ... 119140 files and directories currently
                            > installed.)
                            > Unpacking hamlib (from .../hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb) ...
                            > dpkg: error processing
                            > /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_
                            > <http://1.2.6.1/hamlib_>1.2.6.1-1_i386.
                            > deb (--install):
                            > trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nm', which is also in package binutils
                            > dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                            > /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_
                            > <http://1.2.6.1/hamlib_>1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb
                            >
                            > Would I bomb the installation if I just deleted the hamlib directory
                            > and tried the packages in the repository through Synaptic?
                            >
                            > de Steve ZP9EH
                            >

                            > > On Jun 27, 2007, at 11:55 AM, shaines314 wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com

                            > <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254>

                            > > > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going
                            > to try
                            > > > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                            > > > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                          • David Vrona
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 28, 2007
                              Hi Steve,

                              I just looked at the site again and I see that it really doesn't explain this.

                              You don't need hamlib if you can use one of the rigcat xml files located at:

                              http://www.w1hkj.com/xmlarchives.html

                              Your radio was not explicitly listed there but I wonder if one of the other Yaesu files would work.

                              Keep us posted on how this goes.  I am running 7.04 (feisty fawn) as well and I'm sure the people on this list can get you going.

                              dave
                              n9qnz

                              David Vrona wrote:

                              > Steve,
                              >
                              > Can we back up a bit?
                              >
                              > 1) Are you sure you need hamlib ??? Often you don't.
                              >
                              > 2) What radio do you have?
                              >
                              > Dave
                              >

                              > On 6/27/07, * shaines314* <shaines@...
                              > <mailto:shaines@...>> wrote:
                              >
                              > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:linuxham%40yahoogroups.com>, Bob Nielsen <nielsen@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Actually the Ubuntu 7.04 packaged versions of libhamlib2 and fltk1.1
                              > > are compatible with fldigi.
                              > > The cc+, tcl, perl versions of libhamlib add extensions for
                              > > applications requiring them. The -dev is needed if you are compiling
                              > > an application which uses the library. The utils are useful for
                              > > things like rigctl.
                              > >
                              > > Bob, N7XY
                              >
                              > That would be great news Bob. So after downloading those two through
                              > Synaptic, I should be ready to work with the Fldigi tarball?? Any
                              > advantage to using the one with hamlib support as opposed to the
                              > binary that does not reference hamlib?
                              >
                              > I might add that I couldn't make headway with the Ubuntu guide by
                              > dberg. I got as far as the "sudo checkinstall -D" for the hamlib
                              > package and got this error message:
                              >
                              > Selecting previously deselected package hamlib.
                              > (Reading database ... 119140 files and directories currently
                              > installed.)
                              > Unpacking hamlib (from .../hamlib_1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb) ...
                              > dpkg: error processing
                              > /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_
                              > <http://1.2.6.1/hamlib_>1.2.6.1-1_i386.
                              > deb (--install):
                              > trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nm', which is also in package binutils
                              > dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                              > /home/steve/hamapps/hamlib-1.2.6.1/hamlib_
                              > <http://1.2.6.1/hamlib_>1.2.6.1-1_i386.deb
                              >
                              > Would I bomb the installation if I just deleted the hamlib directory
                              > and tried the packages in the repository through Synaptic?
                              >
                              > de Steve ZP9EH
                              >

                              > > On Jun 27, 2007, at 11:55 AM, shaines314 wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com

                              > <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254>

                              > > > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going
                              > to try
                              > > > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                              > > > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                            • shaines314
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 28, 2007

                                > shaines314 wrote:
                                > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "m3gxx" <ian.m3gxx@> wrote:
                                > >> Hi Steve,
                                > >> Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
                                > >> first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.
                                > >>
                                > >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254
                                > >>
                                > >> Ian
                                > >> M3GXX
                                > > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going to try
                                > > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                                > > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                                > This is complete overkill to install fldigi on Ubuntu. Why is it so
                                > necessary to use the source pkgs when the binary is readily available.
                                > There is NO advantage between the two. The binary is hands down easier
                                > to install than the source will ever be. Here is an easy to follow
                                how-to.

                                > If you are going to need hamlib rather than Dave's xml you will need to
                                > install via apt or synaptic the following:
                                >
                                > libhamlib
                                > libhamlib -dev
                                > libhamlib -util
                                >
                                > Now from the desktop >> places >> home folder >> file >> create folder.
                                > Name the folder fldigi for ease of install.
                                >
                                > Now navigate to:
                                >

                                > http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
                                >

                                > and double click on:
                                >

                                > fldigi-1.342.bin.tgz
                                >

                                > This will open File roller, tell file roller to extract the files to
                                the
                                > fldigi folder using the browse button. Thats it you are done. fldigi
                                > is installed and ready to use. Open a terminal and cd to /fldigi and
                                > issue the following as user ./fldigi, or go to the fldigi folder and
                                > double click on the fldigi executable. The help files will get you up
                                > and going. The most common error is not using the correct syntax for
                                the
                                > comports, it needs to be the following:
                                >

                                > /dev/ttySx with x being the comport you need. Remember that Linux
                                > numbers comports starting with 0 (zero).
                                >

                                > Any questions, please feel free to ask.
                                >

                                > Ed W3NR
                                > alpha tester...part-time list administrator...I also sweep the floors

                                Hi Ed, and thanks for the help. I did just what you said, and I have
                                Fldigi running . . . maybe?? The program interface looks like it does
                                on Digipup, except there's no waterfall activity at all. It's all
                                black, and nothing I have found so far changes that. I have made QSO's
                                on this machine under Ubuntu with gMFSK and TWPSK, as well as with
                                Fldigi from DigiPup. Any ideas for the waterfall? 73 de Steve ZP9EH
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 28, 2007

                                  > Hi Ed, and thanks for the help. I did just what you said, and I have
                                  > Fldigi running . . . maybe?? The program interface looks like it does
                                  > on Digipup, except there's no waterfall activity at all. It's all
                                  > black, and nothing I have found so far changes that. I have made QSO's
                                  > on this machine under Ubuntu with gMFSK and TWPSK, as well as with
                                  > Fldigi from DigiPup. Any ideas for the waterfall? 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                                  Take a close look under the configure >> defaults >> soundcard. You need
                                  to specify the correct sound card and whether you are using line or mic.
                                  Be sure and save all of your configurations. You also may need to open
                                  the gnome volume control panel and play with those settings also. your'e
                                  almost there....

                                  Ed W3NR
                                • shaines314
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 28, 2007
                                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "shaines314" <shaines@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > shaines314 wrote:

                                    > > > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going
                                    to try
                                    > > > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                                    > > > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                                    > care to

                                    > > This is complete overkill to install fldigi on Ubuntu. Why is it so
                                    > > necessary to use the source pkgs when the binary is readily
                                    available.
                                    > > There is NO advantage between the two. The binary is hands down
                                    easier
                                    > > to install than the source will ever be. Here is an easy to follow
                                    > how-to.
                                    > >
                                    > > If you are going to need hamlib rather than Dave's xml you will
                                    need to
                                    > > install via apt or synaptic the following:
                                    > >
                                    > > libhamlib
                                    > > libhamlib -dev
                                    > > libhamlib -util
                                    > >
                                    > > Now from the desktop >> places >> home folder >> file >> create
                                    folder.
                                    > > Name the folder fldigi for ease of install.
                                    > >
                                    > > Now navigate to:
                                    > >

                                    > > http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
                                    > >

                                    > > and double click on:
                                    > >

                                    > > fldigi-1.342.bin.tgz
                                    > >

                                    > > This will open File roller, tell file roller to extract the files to
                                    > the
                                    > > fldigi folder using the browse button. Thats it you are done.
                                    fldigi
                                    > > is installed and ready to use. Open a terminal and cd to /fldigi and
                                    > > issue the following as user ./fldigi, or go to the fldigi folder and
                                    > > double click on the fldigi executable. The help files will get you up
                                    > > and going. The most common error is not using the correct syntax for
                                    > the
                                    > > comports, it needs to be the following:
                                    > >

                                    > > /dev/ttySx with x being the comport you need. Remember that Linux
                                    > > numbers comports starting with 0 (zero).
                                    > >

                                    > > Any questions, please feel free to ask.
                                    > >

                                    > > Ed W3NR
                                    > > alpha tester...part-time list administrator...I also sweep the floors
                                    > >
                                    > Hi Ed, and thanks for the help. I did just what you said, and I have
                                    > Fldigi running . . . maybe?? The program interface looks like it does
                                    > on Digipup, except there's no waterfall activity at all. It's all
                                    > black, and nothing I have found so far changes that. I have made QSO's
                                    > on this machine under Ubuntu with gMFSK and TWPSK, as well as with
                                    > Fldigi from DigiPup. Any ideas for the waterfall? 73 de Steve ZP9EH

                                    OK, cockpit error! It's A-OK now!! Changed the volume setting on
                                    soundcard and the font size in the receive window. Tomorrow with a
                                    better band I'll try the transmit function. Thanks a million Ed, and
                                    all the rest who have helped me. It's up and running, and sure seems
                                    to decode really well! 73 de Steve, a happy camper in Paraguay: ZP9EH
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 28, 2007
                                      shaines314 wrote:

                                      > OK, cockpit error! It's A-OK now!! Changed the volume setting on
                                      > soundcard and the font size in the receive window. Tomorrow with a
                                      > better band I'll try the transmit function. Thanks a million Ed, and
                                      > all the rest who have helped me. It's up and running, and sure seems
                                      > to decode really well! 73 de Steve, a happy camper in Paraguay: ZP9EH

                                      good deal Steve....congrats.

                                      Ed W3NR
                                    • larry shields
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
                                        Ed wrote:

                                        > shaines314 wrote:
                                        > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linuxham%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                        > "m3gxx" <ian.m3gxx@...> wrote:
                                        > >> Hi Steve,
                                        > >> Take a look at this How-to from the Ubuntu forum, helped me when I
                                        > >> first started using Ubuntu about 3 months ago.
                                        > >>
                                        > >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254
                                        > <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2274254>
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Ian
                                        > >> M3GXX
                                        > > Thanks for the tip Ian. I've backed out libhamlib2 and am going to try
                                        > > to follow your guide to the letter. I'll post again if I run into
                                        > > problems. 73 de Steve ZP9EH
                                        > >
                                        > >> --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com

                                        > This is complete overkill to install fldigi on Ubuntu. Why is it so
                                        > necessary to use the source pkgs when the binary is readily available.
                                        > There is NO advantage between the two. The binary is hands down easier
                                        > to install than the source will ever be. Here is an easy to follow how-to.
                                        >
                                        > If you are going to need hamlib rather than Dave's xml you will need to
                                        > install via apt or synaptic the following:
                                        >
                                        > libhamlib
                                        > libhamlib -dev
                                        > libhamlib -util
                                        >
                                        > Now from the desktop >> places >> home folder >> file >> create folder.
                                        > Name the folder fldigi for ease of install.
                                        >
                                        > Now navigate to:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html <http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html>
                                        >
                                        > and double click on:
                                        >
                                        > fldigi-1.342.bin.tgz
                                        >
                                        > This will open File roller, tell file roller to extract the files to the
                                        > fldigi folder using the browse button. Thats it you are done. fldigi
                                        > is installed and ready to use. Open a terminal and cd to /fldigi and
                                        > issue the following as user ./fldigi, or go to the fldigi folder and
                                        > double click on the fldigi executable. The help files will get you up
                                        > and going. The most common error is not using the correct syntax for the
                                        > comports, it needs to be the following:
                                        >
                                        > /dev/ttySx with x being the comport you need. Remember that Linux
                                        > numbers comports starting with 0 (zero).
                                        >
                                        > Any questions, please feel free to ask.
                                        >
                                        > Ed W3NR
                                        > alpha tester...part-time list administrator...I also sweep the floors

                                        Hello Ed,

                                        Thanks for the info on what lib's are needed, I have all except for
                                        libhamlib-util...
                                        Can't seem to locate it off of google, nor Ubuntu's lib's either...
                                        So can you point me to where I can get it...???

                                        Thanks Larry

                                        --
                                        Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
                                        by Ubuntu ver 7.04 Feisty Fawn

                                        "This is Linux Country,
                                        on a quiet night you can hear
                                        WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

                                      • Bob Nielsen
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 29, 2007
                                          On Jun 29, 2007, at 8:34 AM, larry shields wrote:

                                          > Thanks for the info on what lib's are needed, I have all except for
                                          > libhamlib-util...
                                          > Can't seem to locate it off of google, nor Ubuntu's lib's either...
                                          > So can you point me to where I can get it...???

                                          Larry,

                                          The package is libhamlib-utils and it is in the Ubuntu universe archive:

                                          $ apt-cache policy libhamlib-utils
                                          libhamlib-utils:
                                          Installed: 1.2.5-7.1
                                          Candidate: 1.2.5-7.1
                                          Version table:
                                          *** 1.2.5-7.1 0
                                          500 http://eh.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe Packages
                                          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

                                          73, Bob N7XY
                                        • larry shields
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
                                            Bob Nielsen wrote:

                                            > On Jun 29, 2007, at 8:34 AM, larry shields wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > Thanks for the info on what lib's are needed, I have all except for
                                            > > libhamlib-util...
                                            > > Can't seem to locate it off of google, nor Ubuntu's lib's either...
                                            > > So can you point me to where I can get it...???
                                            > >

                                            > Larry,
                                            >
                                            > The package is libhamlib-utils and it is in the Ubuntu universe archive:
                                            >
                                            > $ apt-cache policy libhamlib-utils
                                            > libhamlib-utils:
                                            > Installed: 1.2.5-7.1
                                            > Candidate: 1.2.5-7.1
                                            > Version table:
                                            > *** 1.2.5-7.1 0
                                            > 500 http://eh.archive.ubuntu.com <http://eh.archive.ubuntu.com>
                                            > feisty/universe Packages
                                            > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                            >
                                            > 73, Bob N7XY

                                            Hello Bob,

                                            Thanks for the info, I have it now... ;-)

                                            Have a great 4th of July...

                                            Larry