USB Jump/Flash Drive Boot partition

  • Kenneth Grayson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2007
      I have tried the Live Boot LINUX and like it I am already using
      Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office so all my regular stuff works.

      The question is how can I partition a USB Jump/key chain drive to
      accept the LINUX OS?

      I have tried using Windows XP pro and Vista and have not been
      successful, My jump drive tries to boot but comes up with a error
      message saying no operating system.

      I am not as yet knowledgeable enough with LINUX to set a partition
      with LINUX. I have bought the book LINUX for dummies but have not
      found a solution.

      If you know how to do this in Windows/DOS or LINUX ,I would appreciate
      the answer.

      Ken
      WA1CWG
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15, 2007
        Kenneth Grayson wrote:
        > I have tried the Live Boot LINUX and like it I am already using
        > Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office so all my regular stuff works.
        >
        > The question is how can I partition a USB Jump/key chain drive to
        > accept the LINUX OS?
        >
        > I have tried using Windows XP pro and Vista and have not been
        > successful, My jump drive tries to boot but comes up with a error
        > message saying no operating system.
        >
        > I am not as yet knowledgeable enough with LINUX to set a partition
        > with LINUX. I have bought the book LINUX for dummies but have not
        > found a solution.
        >
        > If you know how to do this in Windows/DOS or LINUX ,I would appreciate
        > the answer.
        >
        > Ken
        > WA1CWG

        See if this is what you are looking for.

        > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/03/25/puppy-linux-on-usb/

        Ed W3NR
      • Rein Couperus
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2007
          The is a concise description in
          http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/Booting+and+restoring+from+USB+stick

          73,

          Rein PA0R

          --
          http://pa0r.blogspirit.com
        • Rodney Macpherson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 15, 2007

            --
            Rodney E. Macpherson,
            Ebro 2869, Dto. 1302,
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 15, 2007
              USB Jump/Flash Drive Boot partition

              Installing and booting from pen drives is always iffy but the
              pendrivelinux.com site someone mentioned is a good resource. There
              are pen drives preloaded with Linux, but they will set you back 50
              dollars or so.

              --
              Lee <NY6P>

              "Fraudulently obtained unemployment compensation is fully taxable.
              You report it on line 21 of Form 1040." -IRS Tax Guide
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 15, 2007
                If you are more comfortable with tools in the Microsoft world I highly
                recommend the following:

                http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/20306.html

                This is a free windows based utility that allows you to reformat your
                USB jump drive and to make it bootable.

                Before you format the USB device you will need to create a bootable
                floppy disk. You can do this using the windows floppy format tool.

                After the device has been formatted with a FAT image and the boot sector
                placed on the device you can write to it from Linux to put your Linux OS
                on the device.

                Dave, W1HKJ
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 15, 2007
                  >> I dont know enough about Linux to get this to work either!!
                  >> Rod
                  >>
                  >> Rein Couperus wrote:
                  >>> The is a concise description in
                  >>> http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/Booting+and+restoring+from+USB+stick
                  >>>
                  >>> 73,
                  >>>
                  >>> Rein PA0R

                  I know of no better way to start on the road to learning Linux. Rein's
                  tutorial is an excellent step by step how-to. What is the worse you
                  could do, end up with a USB drive that will not boot. There are several
                  very Linux knowledgeable members of this group, and will say that any
                  one or all of them would be glad to help you.

                  Take the plunge, no harm-no foul.

                  I always remember my grandad saying he never heard a dumb question. But
                  he heard some pretty dumb answers.