Re: [linuxham] Poor AFC control, Fldigi 3.21.11 -

  • Bob Goodwin
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
      On 06/12/11 07:29, Ed wrote:

      > On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 04:50:36 -0500
      > Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@...> wrote:
      >
      > > On 05/12/11 12:53, Brian Morrison wrote:

      > > > Rebuilding the rpm for Fedora is extremely simple, you only need to
      > > > download the source tarball, put it in the correctly named directory
      > > > and edit the version number in the .spec file.
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > >
      > > > Brian Morrison
      > > >

      > > First let me admit I don't know what I'm doing not having done
      > > this before, but:
      > >
      > > I downloaded the source files for fldigi-3.21.31.tar.gz and
      > > fldigi-3.21.32.tar.gz and tried un-tarring both which seemed
      > > like the first step.
      > >
      > > [root@box9 fldigi-3.21.31]# tar -zxvf
      > > fldigi-3.21.31.tar.gz
      > >

      > > Make seemed to work in each case but ./configure fails as
      > > follows:
      > >
      > > .... snip ............
      > > CXX fldigi-XmlRpcUtil.o
      > > CXX fldigi-XmlRpcValue.o
      > > CXXLD fldigi
      > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljpeg
      > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      > > make[2]: *** [fldigi] Error 1
      > > make[2]: Leaving directory
      > > `/home/bobg/apps/fldigi-3.21.31/src' make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
      > > make[1]: Leaving directory
      > > `/home/bobg/apps/fldigi-3.21.31/src' make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
      > >
      > > I was hoping to muddle through this and wind up with
      > > something I could install, perhaps in RPM form. Perhaps I am headed
      > > in the wrong direction?
      > >
      > > Help?
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >

      > You are missing FLTK and its -dev libraries. You can also build this
      > from source, It needs certain switches to satisfy fldigi. Where it goes
      > in Fedora I don't have a clue.
      >
      > Ed W3NR

      Yes, I had to do "yum install fltk-config-x86_64" in the
      course of my earlier misguided effort, so perhaps that will
      satisfy one of the requirements.

      Tnx,

      Bob
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
        Yes, I had to do "yum install fltk-config-x86_64" in the
        > course of my earlier misguided effort, so perhaps that will
        > satisfy one of the requirements.
        >
        > Tnx,
        >
        > Bob
        Make sure that the yummy fltk was compiles with --enable-xft and
        --enable-threads. AND that is was version 1.1.10 and not 1.3

        Dave
      • Bob Goodwin
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
          On 06/12/11 06:40, Bob Goodwin wrote:
          > On 06/12/11 05:40, Brian Morrison wrote:
          >>
          >> On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 04:50:36 -0500
          >> Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> > I was hoping to muddle through this and wind up with something I
          >> > could install, perhaps in RPM form. Perhaps I am headed in the
          >> > wrong direction?
          >>
          >> I have replied to Bob off list, if anyone else needs help then I'll
          >> post what I sent here too.
          >>
          >> --
          >>
          >> Brian Morrison
          >>
          >> "I am not young enough to know everything"
          >> Oscar Wilde
          >>

          > I really appreciate the time and effort you've given in
          > providing these instructions. I'm pretty good at following
          > instructions but it may take me a while to wade through this.
          > Will let you know the result. Hopefully it will also be a
          > learning exercise, stuff I can use in the future.
          >
          > Bob w2bod

          Well, your procedure seems to have worked, a minor miracle
          considering that I was able to implement it with just a little
          bit of googling ... I now have Fldigi 3.21.32 displaying data
          with the browser working too. I still need to adjust levels and
          troubleshoot the serial port ptt problem.

          But I just had to let you know that things worked as you
          suggested. I am much encouraged!

          Thank you for the excellent help,

          Bob w2bod
        • Brian Morrison
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
            On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:09:05 -0500
            Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@...> wrote:

            > On 06/12/11 06:40, Bob Goodwin wrote:
            > > On 06/12/11 05:40, Brian Morrison wrote:

            > >> I have replied to Bob off list, if anyone else needs help then I'll
            > >> post what I sent here too.
            > >>

            > > I really appreciate the time and effort you've given in
            > > providing these instructions. I'm pretty good at following
            > > instructions but it may take me a while to wade through this.
            > > Will let you know the result. Hopefully it will also be a
            > > learning exercise, stuff I can use in the future.
            > >
            > > Bob w2bod
            > >

            > Well, your procedure seems to have worked, a minor miracle
            > considering that I was able to implement it with just a little
            > bit of googling ... I now have Fldigi 3.21.32 displaying data
            > with the browser working too. I still need to adjust levels and
            > troubleshoot the serial port ptt problem.
            >
            > But I just had to let you know that things worked as you
            > suggested. I am much encouraged!
            >
            > Thank you for the excellent help,
            >
            > Bob w2bod

            I'm very pleased to hear it Bob, I've been using Fedora for some years
            now and RedHat Linux before it, and I have developed a few ways of
            doing things that seem to work in the main. most are based on other
            people's work too. Good to know that it's helped someone else.

            Hope you manage to work out what the PTT problem is, I suspect that
            might well be hamlib-related if that's what you use.

            --

            Brian Morrison G8SEZ
          • Brian Morrison
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
              On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 08:31:02 -0600
              w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

              > Yes, I had to do "yum install fltk-config-x86_64" in the
              > > course of my earlier misguided effort, so perhaps that will
              > > satisfy one of the requirements.
              > >
              > > Tnx,
              > >
              > > Bob
              > Make sure that the yummy fltk was compiles with --enable-xft and
              > --enable-threads. AND that is was version 1.1.10 and not 1.3

              Here's relevant part of the Koji build log for the x86_64 rpm:

              ./configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info '--with-optim=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' --enable-largefile --enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-xdbe --enable-xinerama --enable-xft

              Seems to enable those features plus lots of others too.

              --

              Brian Morrison G8SEZ
            • Brian Morrison
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
                w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                > AND that is was version 1.1.10 and not 1.3

                Any news on how the changes needed to support 1.3 are coming along? I'm
                not in a mad rush to move to Fedora 16, but Fedora 14 end of life is
                here in a few days' time so eventually it will be necessary to move.

                Can't be doing that without a working fldigi.

                --

                Brian Morrison G8SEZ
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
                  w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                  AND that is was version 1.1.10 and not 1.3

                  Any news on how the changes needed to support 1.3 are coming along? I'm
                  not in a mad rush to move to Fedora 16, but Fedora 14 end of life is
                  here in a few days' time so eventually it will be necessary to move.

                  Can't be doing that without a working fldigi.

                  Some Ubuntu and Debian alpha distros have already moved to 1.3 for Fltk.  It's a simple matter of removing and building and installing the 1.1.10 for now.

                  I have not heard from Stelios in a while regarding the port to 1.3

                  Dave
                • Brian Morrison
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
                    On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 13:47:20 -0600
                    w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                    > On 12/06/2011 12:28 PM, Brian Morrison wrote:
                    > > On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 08:31:02 -0600
                    > > w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> AND that is was version 1.1.10 and not 1.3
                    > > Any news on how the changes needed to support 1.3 are coming along? I'm
                    > > not in a mad rush to move to Fedora 16, but Fedora 14 end of life is
                    > > here in a few days' time so eventually it will be necessary to move.
                    > >
                    > > Can't be doing that without a working fldigi.
                    > >
                    > Some Ubuntu and Debian alpha distros have already moved to 1.3 for
                    > Fltk. It's a simple matter of removing and building and installing the
                    > 1.1.10 for now.

                    I'll have a look at that, the problem may be that other packages depend
                    on fltk-1.3, the usual method of fixing this is to install a
                    compatibility package named fltk1.1 and link fldigi against that.

                    Might be necessary to get Fedora to do that officially, as it stands I
                    don't think fldigi for Fedora 16 and above will even build with the
                    standard .spec file.

                    > I have not heard from Stelios in a while regarding the port to 1.3

                    I don't know Stelios, I'll keep an eye open for information about him
                    and the port.

                    --

                    Brian Morrison

                    Oscar Wilde