Re: [linuxham] Interesting Observation with fldigi-3.21.28 filename

  • Woodchuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2011
      Dick Kriss wrote:
      > There are no new rules just old rules some of us forget and tend to revisit from time to time.
      >
      > I was using fldigi-3.21.28 and trying to export a .adif file so it could be signed

      by tqsl for upload to LoTW. I used the filename pj4/w1xw.adif and
      fldigi seemed

      to save the file; however, the saved file was not in the folder where it
      was saved or

      anywhere on my hard drive. At first I suspected fldigi or my Mac OS was
      screwing up.

      Neither gave me a warning when I saved the file. I rebooted the Mac and

      restarted fldigi and had the same issue again. I then realized that
      maybe linux

      does not the use of the "/" in filenames. The Mac OS X has no problem
      using the

      "/" in filenames but something tells me this a big no-no for fldigi. I
      started over

      and fldigi saved the file as pj4-w1xw.adif and it worked perfect.

      Did the directory pj4 exist in your cwd or wherever fldigi might set its
      current working directory? Was it writable by you or whatever user
      fldigi might use?

      > Fldigi tip of the day: Avoid the using the "/" in saved filenames

      If the answers to the preceding questions are both "yes", then there is
      a bug in fldigi, not in Linux. Unix supports very general filenames,
      including non-printable and bizarre characters. But the one character
      that is forbidden is '/'. It is the directory separator, and is legal
      in ~pathnames~. To the best of my knowledge, all Unix system calls
      and library routines accept a pathname where the man pages say
      "filename". This is a truly old rule. (1970's).

      If fldigi did not report an error (supposing ./pj4 did not exist,
      was not writable or was not a directory), then there is a bug/feature
      in fldigi.

      It may be that the protections or attributes on w1xw.adif did not
      permit overwriting an existing file. Most applications will not
      create directories. They can, but it is usual for them not to,
      for a variety of excellent user-friendship reasons. Often they
      will ask confirmation when creating a directory.

      Directories are called "folders" in Windows-speak.

      To search the file hierarchy exhaustively, use this:

      find / | grep thing-looked-for

      In this case, find / | grep pj4/w1xw\.adif

      The \ keeps . from being interpreted as a wildcard. (called a "regex"
      in unix-speak). "grep" means "g_eneral re_gular e_xpression". It reports
      lines containing its argument.

      find / | grep adif will find all files containing "adif"

      Dave AB3NR
      --
      In each of us, there burns a soul of a woodchuck.
      In every generation a few are chosen to prove it.