Re: [linuxham] Fldigi executable file

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
      Marven Konzelman wrote:

      > The install was from the Fldigi-1.342.tar.gz file.I did not run the ldconfig
      > as I used the source file.Thanks Marv VE4KE

      What distro please?

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • Hamish Moffatt
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
        On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:26:07PM -0400, Ed wrote:
        > Did you run ldconfig as root or sudo ?? Did you create /etc/ld.so.conf ?

        Why would you? Your distro should do all of that.

        Hamish
        --
        Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
      • ve4ke
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ve4ke" <mbcom@...> wrote:

          > Hi.I installed FLTK,Hamlib and Fldigi on my Linux system as per the
          > instructions using the source files and all seemed to go well except
          > when I did make on fldigi it never put the executable file in the
          > install dir.I tried doing the install over again but still the
          > same.Can anyone tell me what may be wrong here.
          > Marv

          The distro is Mandriva Linux Spring 2007.Sorry about the lack of
          info,I'am new with this operating system and don't know all the terms
          yet....Marv VE4KE
        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
            ve4ke wrote:

            > The distro is Mandriva Linux Spring 2007.Sorry about the lack of
            > info,I'am new with this operating system and don't know all the terms
            > yet....Marv VE4KE

            Well, I can definitely help you with your problems.

            I need to know *exactly* what steps you took so far when installing
            FLdigi and the supporting apps. List them out for me.

            Did you rebuild the FLTK mandriva supplied rpms to include the necessary
            Mandriva patches and add the extra build options, or did you install the
            FLTK tarball? If so, did you overwrite the existing rpm files in /usr or
            did you install to the default /usr/local tree? (If you did you have 2
            versions of FLTK installed.)

            Let me know about this first.

            Did you install hamlib to the /usr tree? let me know, or did you use the
            default and install to /usr/local?

            How did you build and install FFTW versions 2.x and 3.x? You'll need to
            rebuild these with specific instructions. Let me know.

            Is the alsa-oss emulation package installed?

            Rick Kunath, k9ao
          • Marven Konzelman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                ve4ke wrote:
                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ve4ke" <mbcom@...> wrote:
                >> Hi.I installed FLTK,Hamlib and Fldigi on my Linux system as per the
                >> instructions using the source files and all seemed to go well except
                >> when I did make on fldigi it never put the executable file in the
                >> install dir.I tried doing the install over again but still the
                >> same.Can anyone tell me what may be wrong here.
                >> Marv
                >>
                > The distro is Mandriva Linux Spring 2007.Sorry about the lack of
                > info,I'am new with this operating system and don't know all the terms
                > yet....Marv VE4KE

                Marv, just a suggestion,but,you may be better off installing the binary
                instead. At least until you are more comfortable with Mandriva and Linux
                in general. Just a thought.

                Ed W3NR
              • Marven Konzelman
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                  On June 7, 2007 04:54:51 pm Ed wrote:
                  > ve4ke wrote:
                  > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ve4ke" <mbcom@...> wrote:
                  > >> Hi.I installed FLTK,Hamlib and Fldigi on my Linux system as per the
                  > >> instructions using the source files and all seemed to go well except
                  > >> when I did make on fldigi it never put the executable file in the
                  > >> install dir.I tried doing the install over again but still the
                  > >> same.Can anyone tell me what may be wrong here.
                  > >> Marv
                  > >
                  > > The distro is Mandriva Linux Spring 2007.Sorry about the lack of
                  > > info,I'am new with this operating system and don't know all the terms
                  > > yet....Marv VE4KE
                  >
                  > Marv, just a suggestion,but,you may be better off installing the binary
                  > instead. At least until you are more comfortable with Mandriva and Linux
                  > in general. Just a thought.
                  >
                  > Ed W3NR

                  I tried the binarys and the one with hamlib support is the same it does not
                  intall the excutable in the install dir.And the one with out hamlib installs
                  ok,I have that on the computer now and it works but I would like to have the
                  hamlib support.Maybe this tells me that something is wrong with my hamlib
                  install.What do you think? Thanks....Marv VE4KE
                • Rick Kunath
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                    Ed wrote:

                    > Marv, just a suggestion,but,you may be better off installing the binary
                    > instead. At least until you are more comfortable with Mandriva and Linux
                    > in general. Just a thought.
                    >
                    > Ed W3NR

                    The 1.342 binary is known to run on Mandriva 2007.1

                    Good advice ED, though I wanted to be sure he hadn't done something to
                    his system he shouldn't have.

                    Rick Kunath
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                      Marven Konzelman wrote:

                      On June 7, 2007 04:54:51 pm Ed wrote:
                      > ve4ke wrote:
                      > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, "ve4ke" <mbcom@...> wrote:
                      > >> Hi.I installed FLTK,Hamlib and Fldigi on my Linux system as per the
                      > >> instructions using the source files and all seemed to go well except
                      > >> when I did make on fldigi it never put the executable file in the
                      > >> install dir.I tried doing the install over again but still the
                      > >> same.Can anyone tell me what may be wrong here.
                      > >> Marv
                      > >
                      > > The distro is Mandriva Linux Spring 2007.Sorry about the lack of
                      > > info,I'am new with this operating system and don't know all the terms
                      > > yet....Marv VE4KE
                      >
                      > Marv, just a suggestion,but, you may be better off installing the binary
                      > instead. At least until you are more comfortable with Mandriva and Linux
                      > in general. Just a thought.
                      >
                      > Ed W3NR

                      I tried the binarys and the one with hamlib support is the same it does not
                      intall the excutable in the install dir.And the one with out hamlib installs
                      ok,I have that on the computer now and it works but I would like to have the
                      hamlib support.Maybe this tells me that something is wrong with my hamlib
                      install.What do you think? Thanks....Marv VE4KE

                      The binary that includes the hamlib support still requires that you have the hamlib libraries installed on your system.  These can either be obtained via an RPM or DEB style of system install, or you can download the source code from www.hamlib.org, configure, build and install the libraries.

                      I hope this helps to provide a direction in which you should proceed.

                      You could also simply download the digipup iso file.  It contains all of the required libraries for the hamlib functionality.

                      73, Dave, w1hkj
                    • Rick Kunath
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                        Marven Konzelman wrote:
                        >> I tried the binarys and the one with hamlib support is the same it does not
                        > intall the excutable in the install dir.And the one with out hamlib installs
                        > ok,I have that on the computer now and it works but I would like to have the
                        > hamlib support.Maybe this tells me that something is wrong with my hamlib
                        > install.What do you think? Thanks....Marv VE4KE

                        Can you describe exactly what you did in the entire process?

                        How did you install hamlib? What version? Is FFTW 2.x and 3.x installed?

                        What do you mean the hamlib binary won't install? You just extract it.
                        Put the tarball in a new folder, right click the tarball, and select
                        "Extract here". Then click the fldigi file to run it.

                        Ruck Kunath
                      • ve4ke
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007

                          > Marven Konzelman wrote:

                          > > > Marv, just a suggestion,but, you may be better off installing
                          the binary
                          > > > instead. At least until you are more comfortable with Mandriva
                          and Linux
                          > > > in general. Just a thought.
                          > > >
                          > > > Ed W3NR
                          > >
                          > > I tried the binarys and the one with hamlib support is the same
                          it
                          > > does not
                          > > intall the excutable in the install dir.And the one with out
                          hamlib
                          > > installs
                          > > ok,I have that on the computer now and it works but I would like
                          > > have the
                          > > hamlib support.Maybe this tells me that something is wrong with
                          my hamlib
                          > > install.What do you think? Thanks....Marv VE4KE
                          > >
                          > The binary that includes the hamlib support still requires that
                          you have
                          > the hamlib libraries installed on your system. These can either
                          be
                          > obtained via an RPM or DEB style of system install, or you can
                          download
                          > the source code from www.hamlib.org, configure, build and install
                          the
                          > libraries.
                          >
                          > I hope this helps to provide a direction in which you should
                          proceed.

                          > You could also simply download the digipup iso file. It contains
                          all of
                          > the required libraries for the hamlib functionality.
                          >
                          > 73, Dave, w1hkj
                          >ok Dave.I had hamlib installed when I tried the binary Fldigi
                          file.I think that I may have had it installed in the wrong
                          dir.Should it be installed in the /usr dir?
                          Tried the digipup iso file and it worked ok but wanted the have the
                          full Linux distro. 73 Marv VE4KE
                        • ve4ke
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                            > Marven Konzelman wrote:
                            > >> I tried the binarys and the one with hamlib support is the same
                            it does not
                            > > intall the excutable in the install dir.And the one with out
                            hamlib installs
                            > > ok,I have that on the computer now and it works but I would like
                            to have the
                            > > hamlib support.Maybe this tells me that something is wrong with
                            my hamlib
                            > > install.What do you think? Thanks....Marv VE4KE
                            >
                            > Can you describe exactly what you did in the entire process?
                            >
                            > How did you install hamlib? What version? Is FFTW 2.x and 3.x
                            installed?

                            > What do you mean the hamlib binary won't install? You just extract
                            it.
                            > Put the tarball in a new folder, right click the tarball, and
                            select
                            > "Extract here". Then click the fldigi file to run it.
                            >
                            > Ruck Kunath
                            >I didn't say that hamlib would not install, it installed ok.I
                            installed it per the instructions in the file,but think now that I
                            may have put it in the wrong dir.Don't know what FFTW is?

                            Marv VE4KE
                          • Rick Kunath
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                              ve4ke wrote:

                              >> ok Dave.I had hamlib installed when I tried the binary Fldigi
                              > file.I think that I may have had it installed in the wrong
                              > dir.Should it be installed in the /usr dir?
                              > Tried the digipup iso file and it worked ok but wanted the have the
                              > full Linux distro.

                              Again,

                              I'll help you get your Mandriva installation setup correctly, but I have
                              to know what you've done so far, exactly.

                              And yes, for Mandriva hamlib needs to be installed in the /usr tree. If
                              you didn't, send me more info, and I'll tell you how to back out without
                              damaging your install.

                              I also need you to answer the other questions I have asked.

                              Rick Kunath

                              Mandriva 2007.1
                              Mandriva 2007.0
                              Mandriva 2006.0
                              Mandrake 10.1
                            • Rick Kunath
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                                ve4ke wrote:

                                >> I didn't say that hamlib would not install, it installed ok.I
                                > installed it per the instructions in the file,but think now that I
                                > may have put it in the wrong dir.Don't know what FFTW is?

                                See the last message for hamlib. If you did the default hamlib install,
                                simple su to root, issue a "make uninstall" command, then build it like
                                this:

                                Exit from root mode back to user mode.

                                ./configure --prefix-/usr
                                make clean
                                make
                                su to root
                                make install

                                That will take care of the hamlib issue.

                                FFTW are the fast Fourier transform routines, needed for the waterfall
                                display. These need to be installed (both the 2.x version as well as the
                                3.x version) and the matching devel files, then need to be rebuilt from
                                source based on the FFTW tarballs as follows:

                                (Install on top of the Mandriva provided rpms)

                                ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
                                make
                                su to root
                                make install

                                Do this for both the 2.x and the 3.x versions of fftw.

                                That's it, if you use the binary, and I recommend that you do.

                                There are more changes that need to be done if you don't use the binary.

                                Rick Kunath
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                                  ve4ke wrote:

                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                                  > Marven Konzelman wrote:
                                  > >> I tried the binarys and the one with hamlib support is the same
                                  it does not
                                  > > intall the excutable in the install dir.And the one with out
                                  hamlib installs
                                  > > ok,I have that on the computer now and it works but I would like
                                  to have the
                                  > > hamlib support.Maybe this tells me that something is wrong with
                                  my hamlib
                                  > > install.What do you think? Thanks....Marv VE4KE
                                  >
                                  > Can you describe exactly what you did in the entire process?
                                  >
                                  > How did you install hamlib? What version? Is FFTW 2.x and 3.x
                                  installed?

                                  > What do you mean the hamlib binary won't install? You just extract
                                  it.
                                  > Put the tarball in a new folder, right click the tarball, and
                                  select
                                  > "Extract here". Then click the fldigi file to run it.
                                  >
                                  > Ruck Kunath
                                  >I didn't say that hamlib would not install, it installed ok.I
                                  installed it per the instructions in the file,but think now that I
                                  may have put it in the wrong dir.Don't know what FFTW is?

                                  you do not need fftw for compiling or executing fldigi ... but you do need it if you intend to run gMFSK.

                                  How did you install hamlib?  If from source did you check to be sure that the /etc/ld.so.conf file had an entry that pointed to the directory in which the hamlib*.so files are located?  Assuming that it does, did you execute ldconfig as root or from the sudo command?

                                  Dave, W1HKJ
                                • ve4ke
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 8, 2007
                                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:

                                    > ve4ke wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >> I didn't say that hamlib would not install, it installed ok.I
                                    > > installed it per the instructions in the file,but think now that
                                    > > may have put it in the wrong dir.Don't know what FFTW is?
                                    >
                                    > See the last message for hamlib. If you did the default hamlib
                                    install,
                                    > simple su to root, issue a "make uninstall" command, then build it
                                    like
                                    > this:
                                    >
                                    > Exit from root mode back to user mode.
                                    >
                                    > ./configure --prefix-/usr
                                    > make clean
                                    > make
                                    > su to root
                                    > make install
                                    >
                                    > That will take care of the hamlib issue.
                                    >
                                    > FFTW are the fast Fourier transform routines, needed for the
                                    waterfall
                                    > display. These need to be installed (both the 2.x version as well
                                    as the
                                    > 3.x version) and the matching devel files, then need to be rebuilt
                                    from
                                    > source based on the FFTW tarballs as follows:
                                    >
                                    > (Install on top of the Mandriva provided rpms)
                                    >
                                    > ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
                                    > make
                                    > su to root
                                    > make install
                                    >
                                    > Do this for both the 2.x and the 3.x versions of fftw.
                                    >
                                    > That's it, if you use the binary, and I recommend that you do.
                                    >
                                    > There are more changes that need to be done if you don't use the
                                    binary.

                                    > Rick Kunath
                                    >Ok Rick.Will give this a try,it likely won't get done for a couple
                                    days as busy with other things here.Thanks for the info....Marv VE4KE
                                  • ve4ke
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 8, 2007

                                      > ve4ke wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:linuxham%
                                      40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > > Rick Kunath <k9ao@> wrote:

                                      > > it does not
                                      > > hamlib installs
                                      > > to have the
                                      > > my hamlib
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Can you describe exactly what you did in the entire process?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > How did you install hamlib? What version? Is FFTW 2.x and 3.x
                                      > > installed?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > What do you mean the hamlib binary won't install? You just
                                      extract
                                      > > it.
                                      > > > Put the tarball in a new folder, right click the tarball, and
                                      > > select
                                      > > > "Extract here". Then click the fldigi file to run it.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Ruck Kunath
                                      > > >I didn't say that hamlib would not install, it installed ok.I
                                      > > installed it per the instructions in the file,but think now that
                                      > > may have put it in the wrong dir.Don't know what FFTW is?
                                      > >
                                      > you do not need fftw for compiling or executing fldigi ... but you
                                      do
                                      > need it if you intend to run gMFSK.
                                      >
                                      > How did you install hamlib? If from source did you check to be
                                      sure
                                      > that the /etc/ld.so.conf file had an entry that pointed to the
                                      directory
                                      > in which the hamlib*.so files are located? Assuming that it does,
                                      did
                                      > you execute ldconfig as root or from the sudo command?
                                      >
                                      > Dave, W1HKJ
                                      >Ok Dave.I didn't checkthe/etc/ ld.so.conf file but will do this.I
                                      installed hamlib from the source.Thanks for your help,will check
                                      this out soon as I get a chance.....Marv VE4KE