bad experience installing DigiPup tonight

  • Ken N9VV
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hi I have a dual-core D940 1GB (recent vintage Dell PC) that is
      triple booted into XP + SimplyMEPIS (for Beryl support) and now DigiPup.

      I had to struggle with it's messed up grub installer and then
      discovered that it will recognize the partition and try to boot from
      it but just dies a quiet death after a few spins of the HD.

      The DigiPup LiveCD came up like gangbusters but I was unable to get
      a single sound out of my mobo sound system (that works perfectly
      under SimplyMEPIS, Windows, and Ubuntu 7.04).

      Fldigi looks like a lot of fun if I can ever get over the ALSA-OSS
      hump. Several guys have suggested I buy a cheap sound card and use
      it instead of the mobo SigmaTel audio. I think there might be Linux
      support for the Delta-44(?). I will give it another go tomorrow when
      I am awake.

      This certainly must be why so few Hams are migrating to Linux
      instead of Vista ;-( It is a big hassle - it is like trying to
      build equipment instead of buying a commercial unit and just getting
      on the air! Perhaps the Linux guys spend a lot more time on their
      PC's than on the air in a real QSO(?).

      de Ken N9VV
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
        Ken N9VV wrote:
        > Hi I have a dual-core D940 1GB (recent vintage Dell PC) that is
        > triple booted into XP + SimplyMEPIS (for Beryl support) and now DigiPup.

        How are you triple-booting? Messing about with lilo or Grub, or using a
        dedicated bootloader and chaining (this is what I do)?

        > Fldigi looks like a lot of fun if I can ever get over the ALSA-OSS
        > hump. Several guys have suggested I buy a cheap sound card and use
        > it instead of the mobo SigmaTel audio. I think there might be Linux
        > support for the Delta-44(?). I will give it another go tomorrow when
        > I am awake.

        The SigmaTel Intel sound on Intel motherboards I have used works out of
        the box on Mandriva 2007.1, but I don't know about your Dell
        motherboard. Dell has been known to use a similarly named product but
        have different actual hardware. Add the alsa-oss emulation package and
        you are all set. Support for that card is recent though. As to card
        support it depends on the ALSA version and included kernel modules built
        into the distro. A well supported sound card is a good investment though.

        See what the card identifier is for your card and see if it matches up
        with the supported SigmaTel cards on the ALSA site. The site will tell
        you what ALSA version began supporting the card, so you can see what a
        particular distro includes, ALSA release version wise.

        > This certainly must be why so few Hams are migrating to Linux
        > instead of Vista ;-( It is a big hassle - it is like trying to
        > build equipment instead of buying a commercial unit and just getting
        > on the air!

        Linux is still about supported hardware. If you don't have it, you are
        in for a harder time. It's the same for Vista.

        > Perhaps the Linux guys spend a lot more time on their
        > PC's than on the air in a real QSO(?).

        Depends on the distro. Pop in the Mandriva powerpack DVD, answer a few
        questions, in about a half-hour you will have working 3d acceleration,
        multimedia, web browsing and email, lots more. Grab the FLdigi binary,
        unpack it, click the executable, and you're off.

        I had it going in about that on a test Ubuntu installation too. Though I
        didn't have the working 3d acceleration and multimedia with all the
        proprietary codecs working then.

        It all depends on your hardware and the chosen distro, and what is
        included, driver wise.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
          1. I found that I had entered /dev/tty/USB0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB0.

          Ans. Linux treats every serail port in a uniform way.  All device drivers are located in the /dev directory.  The tty part of the name indicates a terminal device that obeys certain character oriented rules for the data stream.  The Sx (S0, S1 etc) indicate that the hardware is a serial port  ergo ttyS0, ttyS1 etc.  If the device name is appended with the USBx it indicates the the hardware is a USB type which give the names ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 etc.  The determination of which physical device is designated by 0, 1, 2 etc is made during boot when the OS discovers what hardware is on the machine.  If you replace a USB device the OS can find most on a plug and play basis.  If you added a COM type of serial device that discovery must be made at boot time.

          2. Is this /dev/ttyUSBx the USB side of the port only or is this associated with the COM port?

          Ans.  You can learn more about which physical device is associated with which logical device  on an Ubuntu based system using the Device Manager gui application.  My mother board sound system, an AC'97 audio controller from Intel, shows up as /dev/dsp1 and /dev/mixer1 for the sound and mixer.  The SignaLink USB interface is a USB Audio interface, Texas Insturments Japan, and is logical device(s) /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer

          3. If I am using Hamlib, do I need to enter a /dev/tty/Sx? Or just check on the highlight box for Hamlib on the left side?

          Ans.   Remember that the device name is /dev/ttySx.  If you are using hamlib and not the rig.xml (rigcat) access method to gain access to the rig then you will need to specify the port associated with the serial device that hamlib will find the rig.  That is entered on the right hand side of the RigCtl panel.  A caveat ... the hamlib interface code for the Icom rigs was written with the expectation that you would have a real CI-V interface and not one which steals power from the DTR or RTS pin.  rigcat i/o recognizes the need to retain DTR at +12V when the rig.xml file so specifies.  rigcat can therefore be used with your homebrew interface and not hamlib.

          4. What is normal response time for the updating of the rig display frequency? It often takes a very long time, >5 to 10 seconds to update
          but sometimes very quickly.
          5. Is this possibly due to the fact that I am not providing the right power to the transistor circuitry because I don't have the /dev/tty/Sx
          on the right setting?

          Ans.  The rig is queried every 50 msec for new data.  I have tested this on an IC-756PRO-II and have seen no problems associated with latency.  I am controlling the rig via /dev/ttyS0 which is physically connected to a homebrew CI-V interface which steals power from DTR.  If you are using the rig.xml file which I provided on a private email I suggest leaving the left hand side of the RigCtl panel blank with the exception of the selection of RigCAT for push to talk.

          6. I still can not get the audio to connect up to the program. I am pretty sure I am inputting it OK on the Line in and Line out. I have the OSS simulation installed for my ALSA audio.

          Ans.  Try the audio editor Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net ) to see if you're sound system is working OK with the OS.

          Dave, W1HKJ

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
            1. I found that I had entered /dev/tty/USB0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB0. It
            turns out that you can quickly tell which command to use since the rig
            on the task bar will become active as soon as you enter the right
            combination and initialize. Maybe this is in the docs and I missed it? I
            discovered that the old USB to COM adapter from Radio Shack is operating
            at /dev/ttyUSB0 and my newer no name ultra low cost unit (sold
            everywhere:) requires /dev/ttyUSB1.

            2. Is this /dev/ttyUSBx the USB side of the port only or is this
            associated with the COM port?

            3. If I am using Hamlib, do I need to enter a /dev/tty/Sx? Or just check
            on the highlight box for Hamlib on the left side?

            4. What is normal response time for the updating of the rig display
            frequency? It often takes a very long time, >5 to 10 seconds to update
            but sometimes very quickly. The transmit takes about 5 seconds to key up
            after clicking on either of TX buttons and it does not seem to be able
            to return to RX. Curiously, when I click on the list of stored
            frequencies, it always switches instantly to the correct freq. Same for
            mode changes.

            5. Is this possibly due to the fact that I am not providing the right
            power to the transistor circuitry because I don't have the /dev/tty/Sx
            on the right setting?

            6. I still can not get the audio to connect up to the program. I am
            pretty sure I am inputting it OK on the Line in and Line out. I have the
            OSS simulation installed for my ALSA audio.

            Thanks for all the help,

            73,

            Rick, KV9U
          • Rick
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
              If I look in the /dev directory, I can not begin to understand what I
              would need to look at to determine the ports that are in use. Even using
              the KDE Info Center was of minimal help as it does not specify what is
              active. It does find the specific name of the USB manufacturers product.

              I am not clear on whether or not I need to have the exact correct COM
              port specified on the left side if I am using hamlib. I have the hamlib
              checked on the right side and the highlighted red activation on the left
              side.

              In other words, if I have the DTR +12 v checked, is the program going to
              provide the required voltage or does it need to know the COM port
              specifications?

              I discovered on the hamlib web site that you can go into terminal mode
              and run the rigctl commands. I tried this out and using the /dev/ttyUSB0
              was able to get it to work instantly. Similarly, when I use the GUI
              Hamlib commands, it responds quickly from the Hamlib side, but it is
              sluggish from the rig side back to Hamlib.

              The fldigi program then, does not respond well to frequency changes in
              the rig, taking a long time or sometimes never updating the frequency.
              Also, it can trigger PTT after a fairly long wait, but seems unable to
              unkey the PTT once it is activated.

              I am getting a consistent error on the bottom of the fldigi program
              indicating "Hamlib loop Get Mode: Hamlib getMode error" so something is
              not quite right yet.

              After getting the Audacity package installed I was finally able to track
              down the executable and run the program and it works OK picking up the
              Line Input. As mentioned earlier, I am not getting any audio to display
              on the fldigi program, so I must be missing something.

              73,

              Rick, KV9U