Rig control interface

  • la4rt
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2011
      I wonder what people are doing to interface the rig to multiple programs.

      I use fldigi for digital comms, but another program for logging. (2 reasons: 1 - I like the bandmap of the other logger, 2 - The other logger uses keyboard navigation instead of mouse clicks, 3 - I mostly operate CW, which the other program handles very well)

      To interface both programs to the radio, I use LP-Bridge. This works, but there's often an annoying lag. The computer is a laptop with USB connectors, nothing else useful. It's running 64 bit Windows 7. The radio is a K3 with a single RS-232 port. The connection is RS-232 to a USB-serial adapter.

      The logger has to know the dial frequency. It's nice, but not critical,
      if fldigi also knows this. For digital modes. fldigi should key the rig (I think - could this be handled by the other program). For CW, I prefer to let the other program send it.

      In future, I may want to add CW skimmer to the mix.

      Apart from the lag, LP-Bridge works. But have I overlooked a better way?

      73
      Jon LA4RT
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2011
        On 10/03/2011 05:32 PM, la4rt wrote:
        > I wonder what people are doing to interface the rig to multiple
        > programs.
        >
        > I use fldigi for digital comms, but another program for logging. (2
        > reasons: 1 - I like the bandmap of the other logger, 2 - The other
        > logger uses keyboard navigation instead of mouse clicks, 3 - I mostly
        > operate CW, which the other program handles very well)
        >
        > To interface both programs to the radio, I use LP-Bridge. This works,
        > but there's often an annoying lag. The computer is a laptop with USB
        > connectors, nothing else useful. It's running 64 bit Windows 7. The
        > radio is a K3 with a single RS-232 port. The connection is RS-232 to
        > a USB-serial adapter.
        >
        > The logger has to know the dial frequency. It's nice, but not
        > critical, if fldigi also knows this. For digital modes. fldigi should
        > key the rig (I think - could this be handled by the other program).
        > For CW, I prefer to let the other program send it.
        >
        > In future, I may want to add CW skimmer to the mix.
        >
        > Apart from the lag, LP-Bridge works. But have I overlooked a better
        > way?
        >
        > 73 Jon LA4RT

        I don't understand the reasoning for using LP-Bridge at all. Only one
        program is running at any given time, so there should be no conflicts at
        all.

        I suggest you use flrig with fldigi, it would make more of the K3
        features available. flrig will handle the PTT via software.

        You will not be able to key fldigi from the other program unless its N1MM.

        Ed W3NR
      • Brian Lloyd
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2011
          On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM, la4rt <hellan@...> wrote:

[...]

          You might consider trying DDutil. We use it for the Flex radios to provide fan-out of the control signals but it might work for your application.

          --
          Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
          3191 Western Dr.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2011

            I wonder what people are doing to interface the rig to multiple programs.

            I use fldigi for digital comms, but another program for logging. (2 reasons: 1 - I like the bandmap of the other logger, 2 - The other logger uses keyboard navigation instead of mouse clicks, 3 - I mostly operate CW, which the other program handles very well)
            Apart from the lag, LP-Bridge works. But have I overlooked a better way?

            73
            Jon LA4RT

            you did not identify what logging app you are using with FLDIGI.
            to answer your question about interfacing ....
            I would (and are using) FLDIGI with CQRLOG. They both interface nicely and keeps thing simple.

            72
            Ron, wb1hga