Fldigi and CW

  • m3gxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
      Are the any magic setting for Fldigi and CW.

      Although I passed my 12wpm morse some 10 years ago I haven't used it
      for a while now so I am a bit rusty, but while I get my speed back up
      to about 15-18 wpm I'd like to recieve morse using fldigi while I am
      busy doing other things in the shack.

      I can get some of the morse recieved but only about 60% of it, so are
      there any magic settings that would improve this

      Cheers
      Ian
      M3GXX
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
        m3gxx wrote:

        Are the any magic setting for Fldigi and CW.

        fldigi has auto-tracking algorithms for decoding CW.  The WPM tracking filter is limited to +/- 10 WPM from the Tx WPM setting.  Every time you change the Tx WPM the Rx decoder is reset to that value and begins tracking anew.  When you have very noisy signals the tracking filter can be driven too high in value.  Under those conditions you should guess (by ear) the correct speed, set the Tx WPM and then disable the Rx tracking.

        machine copy of CW is always best when the other station is sending by computer or tape.  fldigi copies the W1AW broadcast at about 99% at this QTH.  machine copy is always ragged when the other station is QLF (sending with left foot).  I personally prefer to hear well timed CW with the recommended 1:3 dot/dash ratio.  The inter-element spacing should equal the dot and the inter-character spacing equal the dash.  Inter-word spacing should be 7 dot elements.  Whether by machine or by ear this is the easiest CW to copy.

        I have had a CW schedule with the same operator for many years.  His fist is unique.  No two characters use the same dot/dash ratio and no two words use the same inter-character spacing.  My brain has become accustomed to his swing and can cope just fine.  He drives fldigi nuts!

        73, Dave, W1HKJ
      • k8wdx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013
          Ok the contest this weekend is on, here is the question, Using Fldigi to copy the code works ok, but what about transmit? If you use a sound card wont the band width be a bit wider than a keyer? Just a thought, I am not going to use Fldigi to transmit, but the topic came up on the local repeater about using a sound card to transmit CW. If you do use Fldigi to transmit CW could this be a problem, and is there a better way to use Fldigi to transmit CW rather than say a USB signalink?  Thanks Tom K8WDX
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013
            On 21 Nov 2013 15:47:04 -0800
            <k8wdx@...> wrote:

            > Ok the contest this weekend is on, here is the question, Using Fldigi
            > to copy the code works ok, but what about transmit? If you use a
            > sound card wont the band width be a bit wider than a keyer? Just a
            > thought, I am not going to use Fldigi to transmit, but the topic came
            > up on the local repeater about using a sound card to transmit CW. If
            > you do use Fldigi to transmit CW could this be a problem, and is
            > there a better way to use Fldigi to transmit CW rather than say a USB
            > signalink? Thanks Tom K8WDX

            CW is sent from fldigi as about as good as it gets. No, it will not be
            wider than a keyer. You really need to read the help file as it relates
            to CW.

            I would trust 100% anything I heard on a repeater. If you heard it on a
            repeater than its the absolute best info you can get. Wonder how many
            of the repeater users have ever seen a key, let alone do any CW.

            Ed W3NR

            cu u in the cqww if you can figure out how to setup fldigi.
          • k8wdx
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2013

              Hi Ed, no one was saying one way or the other just the topic came up about CW and using a PC, so the conversation changed to Fldigi, and the question was ask if it keys, CW like the other digi modes, would it transmit wider, I currently am reading the documentation in another window, Thanks...

              BTW, I know all these Ham's personally, and they all do CW, this is how the conversation started, because one of them only uses a paddle, he expressed his frustration trying to copy 40 WPM or faster in the contests, so the topic of software came up, Lots of time to kill in Northern Va traffic hi hi..