Re: [linuxham] Re: Audigy 2 and Audigy4 OSS-emulation mixer remapping

  • Graham Campbell
    Message 1 of 32 , May 20 6:00 PM
      On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 19:51 -0400, Phil Barnett wrote:
      > On Sunday 20 May 2007 19:06, Graham Campbell wrote:
      > > > followed by
      > > >
      > > > passwd root
      > > >
      > > > so you know the password for the root account...
      > >
      > > This depends on the /etc/sudoers file. I have my systems at home set
      > up
      > > to not require a password entry for members of the wheel group. And
      > > guess who is the only member of the wheel group?
      >
      > No, this does not depend on anything with the sudoers file. If you
      > know the
      > root password, you can
      >
      > su -
      >
      > and you will be root. no sudo involved.

      But remember the OP was running Ubuntu and had no root account, hence no
      root password.

      --
      Graham Campbell
      AA2WR
      Message 32 of 32 , May 21 5:49 AM
        On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 21:11 -0400, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
        > If your running Ubuntu, this wiki entry might help:
        >
        > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
        >
        > I've enabled root on all my Ubuntu boxes by issuing sudo passwd root,
        > then I can su in a terminal and do what I need to do from there. I
        > love Ubuntu and have been happily using it for two years, but it's
        > still beyond me why they don't think a root account should be enabled
        > by default.

        AHA. This reference makes many things clear to a non-Ubuntu user like
        myself. It even covers the thing that started the whole discussion -
        redirecting output from a sudo execution. It is clear that I had a
        number of mis-conceptions about Ubuntu.

        Thanks for the clarification

        --
        Graham Campbell