Re: [linuxham] gmfsk-hkj version 0.48 posted

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2006
      Hamish Moffatt wrote:
      On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:48:44AM -0400, w1hkj wrote:

      Hamish Moffatt wrote:

      BTW, for the purposes of distributions (like Debian), compile-time
      options are no good...

      I am open to suggestions to resolve that issue Hamish.  Some of the
      patches (the user interface for example) probably should just be made a
      part of the application.  Others, like the interface to the CAT programs
      (ArgoV, DeltaII, Icom728 and Kachina) could be run-time switches.

      Well in the case of the CAT-type changes, wouldn't it be proper for
      those changes to go into hamlib rather than directly into gMFSK?

      Hamish

      Hamlib is a very nice general purpose one size fits all interface library.  I have nothing against or for it.  I tried using it from with gmfsk with limited success (it doesn't support all of the i/o I desire).  It does not purport to be a rig interface program, just a rig i/o program.  The DeltaII, ArgoV, Icom728 and especially the Kachina CAT programs are rig control programs.  In fact the Kachina program is the only Linux program for controlling the Kachina (which is a computer interface only rig ... no front panel what-so-ever).  Controlling the Kachina using hamlib did not work very well.  I tried it.  So I elected to use my own i/o code to the transceivers.  But the mods to gmfsk do not impact on the continued use of hamlib for those users with a different transceiver or need.  If I had been successful in using hamlib for the CAT programs I still would have had to provide a means of communications between the gmfsk program and the transceiver control program.   Only one program at a time should be attempting to send commands to the transceiver.   If you look at the TenTecCAT.c source code you will see that gmfsk and the CAT programs communicate using shared memory.  Very fast, very efficient.  The actual i/o to the transceiver is done in the CAT programs, which by the way can also run stand-a-lone without gmfsk.

      Dave (hkj)