maybe not off-topic, but loosely associated

  • o11oo1oo
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2011
      Is it just my most recent attempt at antenna work or has 80m psk been exceptionally quiet recently.

      This may just be my relatively short experience with the difference between the band in winter and.... well it was in the mid 80's here today so I'm calling it summer.

      Tried to get to Kansas the other night, apparently wasn't making a peep, although I spotted another station that the net control didnt seem to spot either.

      73
      NØYZS
    • John Young
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
        A good way to test your rig and antenna is WSPR.  Just a few days running WSPR will give you a good idea how well everything is working.

        73 John

        --
        John D Young
        WA8KNE

        On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM, o11oo1oo <o11oo1oo@...> wrote:

        Is it just my most recent attempt at antenna work or has 80m psk been exceptionally quiet recently.

        This may just be my relatively short experience with the difference between the band in winter and.... well it was in the mid 80's here today so I'm calling it summer.

        Tried to get to Kansas the other night, apparently wasn't making a peep, although I spotted another station that the net control didnt seem to spot either.

        73
        NØYZS

      • david.toombs
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
          Shame WSPR wont install on Mint!

          --

          73's,

          Dave - G8FXM

          On 02/06/11 14:20, John Young wrote:
          A good way to test your rig and antenna is WSPR.  Just a few days running
          WSPR will give you a good idea how well everything is working.

          73 John

        • Bob N3PPH

          Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
            (Top posted thanks to brain dead Hotmail web interface)

            Build it from source then.

            To: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
            From: g8fxm@...
            Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:32:21 +0100
            Subject: Re: [linuxham] maybe not off-topic, but loosely associated

            Shame WSPR wont install on Mint!

            --
            73's,
            Dave - G8FXM

          • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
            Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011

              To: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
              From: g8fxm@...
              Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:32:21 +0100

              Shame WSPR wont install on Mint!

              --
              73's,
              Dave - G8FXM

              Why wont it? it'll certainly install and run on Ubuntu (32-bit) following the instructions in the WSPR 2.1: Supplement to User's Guide (English)
              I know, I wrote the instructions and tested them intensively, should work on any debian based distribution and certainly on Mint which is the child of Ubuntu.
              If you run 64-bit you're on your own!

              --
              Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

              ** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
              ** and ninety-nine per cent            **
              ** perspiration.                       **
              **               -- Thomas A. Edison   **
              email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
              http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
              Ph. +45 4619 3239
              Snailmail:
              Peter Frenning
              Ternevej 23
              DK-4130 Viby Sj.
              Denmark

            • david.toombs
              Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                Good answer, I'm new to Linux so learning how to do that is on my list, not there yet though ;-)

                --

                73's,

                Dave - G8FXM

                PGP Key ID: 0x317E9144

                To: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                From: g8fxm@...
                Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:32:21 +0100

                Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                  On 06/02/2011 10:53 AM, david.toombs wrote:
                  > Good answer, I'm new to Linux so learning how to do that is on my list,
                  > not there yet though ;-)

                  Not that difficult. If you are using Firefox go here ::

                  http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wspr.html

                  Click on the Linux (.deb file)

                  A window will open and should ask if you want to install using the gdebi
                  package installer. Answer yes and follow the easy to understand steps
                  from there.

                  But, remember this is a 32 bit, not 64. If you are using 64 bit you are
                  on your own.

                  Thanks to Peter OZ1PIF for providing the information.

                  Ed W3NR

                  Actually google would have also led you to the download page.
                • david.toombs
                  Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Tried that, The downloaded .deb started the Software Manager which reported that the file was of poor quality and asked if I should go ahead and ignore. I said yes, but it failed anyway.

                    --

                    73's,

                    Dave - G8FXM

                    PGP Key ID: 0x317E9144

                    Message 10 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                      On 06/02/2011 11:20 AM, david.toombs wrote:
                      > Tried that, The downloaded .deb started the Software Manager which
                      > reported that the file was of poor quality and asked if I should go
                      > ahead and ignore. I said yes, but it failed anyway.

                      It should have opened the Package Installer, not the software manager.
                      Are you sure you told it to use the gdebi installer ?

                      BTW, installed here just fine Ubuntu 10.04 32bit.

                      Ed W3NR
                    • Peter Johnson
                      Message 11 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                        Hi David.

                        If you want to build from source I have always followed these instruction.

                        http://george-smart.co.uk/wiki/Compiling_WSPR

                        Regards Peter F1VKK

                        To: linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                        From: g8fxm@...
                        Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:32:21 +0100

                          From: g8fxm@...
                          Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:32:21 +0100

                          Message 13 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                            Well that worked a treat, many thanks.

                            --

                            73's,

                            Dave - G8FXM

                            PGP Key ID: 0x317E9144

                            On 02/06/11 16:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
                            Hi David.

                            If you want to build from source I have always followed these instruction.

                            http://george-smart.co.uk/wiki/Compiling_WSPR

                            Regards Peter F1VKK

                            On 06/02/2011 04:53 PM, david.toombs wrote:

                            Good answer, I'm new to Linux so learning how to do that is on my list, not there yet though ;-)

                            --

                            73's,

                            Dave - G8FXM

                            <http://www.uksmg.org>

                            PGP Key ID: 0x317E9144

                            To:linuxham@yahoogroups.com
                            From:g8fxm@...
                            Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 14:32:21 +0100

                            Message 14 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                              On 06/02/2011 11:51 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:
                              > Hi David.
                              >
                              > I have just built wspr under Linuxmint 11.04 and all is ok.
                              >
                              > Regards Peter F1VKK

                              Where did you find the executable ? I see that wspr was installed into
                              the file system rather than my home folder.

                              Ed W3NR
                            • Peter Johnson
                              Message 15 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                                Hi Ed.

                                From the link posted earlier.

                                To trim that page down a bit to just the commands required to install wspr
                                cut and paste the command lines into a terminal window.

                                Step 1
                                sudo apt-get install subversion python2.6-dev python-numpy python-imaging-tk python-pmw \
                                libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev libsamplerate0-dev gfortran cl-fftw3 python-dev
                                Step 2

                                svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/wsjt/branches/wspr

                                Cut and paste the above line into a terminal window including the svn co

                                this creates a folder wspr in your home directory and put the src into it.

                                Step 3

                                cd wspr

                                Step 4

                                ./configure

                                Step 5

                                make

                                Step 6

                                to run wspr

                                ./wspr

                                On 06/02/2011 05:58 PM, Ed wrote:
                                On 06/02/2011 11:51 AM, Peter Johnson wrote:

                                Hi David.

                                I have just built wspr under Linuxmint 11.04 and all is ok.

                                Regards Peter F1VKK

                                Where did you find the executable ? I see that wspr was installed into
                                the file system rather than my home folder.

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Rick Stanback
                                Message 16 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011
                                  I was able to compile the latest subversion checkout on Fedora 14 x86_64
                                  I had to install some stuff but it went pretty smooth. It doesn't seem
                                  to like the Fedora Pulse audio. I had to select the second sound card
                                  from the drop down. It has been running for a couple hours now in
                                  10.138 and I have a few stations listed. Rig control works for my ts2k
                                  but I haven't tried to xmit yet.

                                  --
                                  Rick Stanback (N4WCQ)
                                  "Chance only favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur"
                                  Message 17 of 19 , Jun 2, 2011

                                    http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt_9.0r2136_i386.deb

                                    I hope that works as I don't use Linux, but I *thought* Joe made most of his software for Linux.

                                    73,
                                    Joel - W4JBB

                                    On 6/2/2011 8:32 AM, david.toombs wrote:
                                    Shame WSPR wont install on Mint!

                                    --

                                    73's,

                                    Dave - G8FXM

                                    On 02/06/11 14:20, John Young wrote:
                                    A good way to test your rig and antenna is WSPR.  Just a few days running
                                    WSPR will give you a good idea how well everything is working.

                                    73 John

                                    No virus found in this message.

                                    Joel

                                    "Common sense is like deodorant...
                                    Those who need it most don't use it."
                                    --Unknown
                                  • Rick Kunath
                                    Message 18 of 19 , Jun 3, 2011
                                      > It doesn't seem
                                      > to like the Fedora Pulse audio. I had to select the second sound card
                                      > from the drop down. It has been running for a couple hours now in
                                      > 10.138 and I have a few stations listed. Rig control works for my ts2k
                                      > but I haven't tried to xmit yet.

                                      WSPR hasn't liked Pulse in Mandriva lately either.

                                      Though Pulse works perfectly in WSJT. I don't know what Joe is doing different
                                      between the two.

                                      Rick Kunath, k9ao
                                    • Marty Hartwell
                                      Message 19 of 19 , Jun 3, 2011
                                        Hi

                                        I just installing the package from your link. I am running Ubuntu 10.04
                                        32 bit.

                                        Worked fine, now I just need to hook up the rig and antenna and try it out.

                                        Marty kd8bj