Re: [linuxham] Dayton hamvention

  • Joel Black
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 1, 2011
      Dave,

      I have a Canon MP620 and I don't currently use Linux as there are programs I use that will *not* work properly in Linux.  So...  When I *was* experimenting with Linux, I just connected to the IP address of my wireless printer using some bubblejet protocol.  When I got done, it looked something like this:

      bjp://xxx.xxx.xx.xx

      I am not sure about the "bjp" but it was something like that under CUPS.  There was *no* driver locating and installing that had to be done manually by me.

      Per another email, at least version 10.10 of Ubuntu definitely supported wireless printing.

      I have downloaded the LiveCD of 11.04 and I do *not* like the Unity interface (I realize it can be changed), but that is another subject entirely.

      73,
      Joel - W4JBB

      On 5/31/2011 6:05 AM, david.toombs wrote:
      I tried to install the Lexmark X4850 windows print drivers using Wine, this downloaded file is an .exe file. The install started ok but Lexmark setup soon complained that my PC did not meet the minimum hardware requirements which of course is rubbish as it couldn't detect my CPU speed for some reason.

      I have tried to install a Linux supported driver for an X family printer in teh hope that it would be similar enough to allow me to print but the printers i have tried so far have all failed. Probably because my printer is a wireless printer and I don't think that protocol is supported by Lexmark under Linux.

      --

      73's,

      Dave - G8FXM

      PGP Key ID: 0x317E9144

      On 30/05/11 19:11, Marc Coevoet wrote:
      Op 30-05-11 13:57, david.toombs schreef:

      As a new Linux convert (and still learning the ropes) I'm surprised to
      hear that Linux Mint has less "bell and whistles" than Ubuntu. As a Mint
      user I thought both Mint and Ubuntu were on a par with each other, and
      that Mint presents the GUI in a slightly different way which for Ex
      Windows users like me is easier to come to terms with than some other
      distro's. but this is just personal choice, under the hood I thought
      they were almost the same?

      Under the hood they are the same, packages added with apt-get command or
      synaptic grahical.

      They just don't always install all those applets for some things on mint...

      You can always say that ùmint and xubuntu are closer (if they both use
      XFCE).

      Unfortunately I cant do away with Windows all together as My Printer
      isn't supported by Linux or should I say Lexmark doesn't support Linux,
      and there is the occasional app I use that I just cant find a
      replacement for in Linux. But I'd say I spend about 90% of my time on
      Linux now and 10% on Windows (only when I have to).

      You could try wine, and install some libraries in your .wine/.../win32
      folder.

      More info on
      http://frankscorner.org
      http://winehq.com