Re: [linuxham] fldigi, cw and qsy

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
      Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
      I'm trying to use fldigi as a poor man's panadapter. The radio is a
      K3, for which CW's sidetone  is LSB.
      With fldigi set to CW, sweet spot set to 800 (as is pitch on the
      radio), if I have a signal not on 800 Hz, and I use QSY, it moves to
      the other side.
      For example. I have a signal whose tone is around 600 Hz, to properly
      tune it I should move the vfo *up* 200 Hz. Instead if I use QSY, I'll
      get the signal at 400 Hz, meaning it moved the vfo down (like it would
      be ok if CW were USB).
      Am I doing something wrong, did I miss a config flag in fldigi, or is
      this a general limitation of this setup ?

      The problem is not the way fldigi computes the QSY, but the way that you are trying to use it.

      Try tuning in an AM broadcast station on USB with the PSK-31 mode selected.  Place the carrier at some point other than the mode sweet spot and press the QSY button.  Repeat the same thing but on LSB.  The audio and suppressed sideband carrier frequency are computed correctly each time.

      The computation is based on sideband, audio sweet spot frequency and suppressed carrier radio frequency.  The K3 (and several others) play numbers games.  When in CW mode the K3 displays (and acts upon CAT frequencies) as if they were the transmit radio frequency.  The radio than either adds or subtracts the current CW offset frequency to it's internal oscillator chain.  It displays the CW radio frequency, but it's actual suppressed carrier frequency is either plus or minus the offset depending on CW-L or CW-U selection.

      Dave
    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
        I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 with no serial port and wish to use the parallel port pin 16 to key my radio.  I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and FLDigi 3.21.9.

        When the laptop is booting, the pin is low but as soon as it finishes the boot and before starting FLDigi, the pin is high.  It stays high after FLDigi is started and does not change when FLDidi is in the transmit or receive mode.

        I have tried all three modes for the parallel port in the bios with no change in the operation.

        Any suggestions to get the parallel port PTT to work?

        73 - Thanks - Jim  W5ZIT

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
          On 06/01/2011 11:24 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
          > I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 with no serial port and wish to use the parallel port pin 16 to key my radio. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and FLDigi 3.21.9.
          >
          > When the laptop is booting, the pin is low but as soon as it finishes the boot and before starting FLDigi, the pin is high. It stays high after FLDigi is started and does not change when FLDidi is in the transmit or receive mode.
          >
          > I have tried all three modes for the parallel port in the bios with no change in the operation.
          >
          > Any suggestions to get the parallel port PTT to work?
          >
          > 73 - Thanks - Jim W5ZIT

          You could also try pin 16. What do you have pin 1 doing ? And are you
          using pin 18 for ground ?

          How is the interface built ?

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
            On 06/01/2011 11:24 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
            > I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 with no serial port and wish to use the parallel port pin 16 to key my radio. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and FLDigi 3.21.9.
            >
            > When the laptop is booting, the pin is low but as soon as it finishes the boot and before starting FLDigi, the pin is high. It stays high after FLDigi is started and does not change when FLDidi is in the transmit or receive mode.
            >
            > I have tried all three modes for the parallel port in the bios with no change in the operation.
            >
            > Any suggestions to get the parallel port PTT to work?
            >
            > 73 - Thanks - Jim W5ZIT

            Sorry I meant pin 17.

            Ed W3NR
          • Richard Dowty
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
              Hi Jim, this is W7EET name here is Rich:
              I do not know how you have your setup arranged but have you thought of this:
              Using a tigertronics Signalink USB; connect the tigertronics to the radio from the signalink and plug in the usb cable from the tigertronics to your laptop. Then go to the FLdigi software open config, then operator, then rig, then hardware, then check the box PTT right channel audio. For rig access I am using icom radio's with CI-V and hamlib. I do not know what radios you have so I can not comment on this. This is what I am using and it works very well.
              Rich/W7EET

              On 06/01/2011 11:24 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
              > I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 with no serial port and wish to use the parallel port pin 16 to key my radio. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and FLDigi 3.21.9.
              >
              > When the laptop is booting, the pin is low but as soon as it finishes the boot and before starting FLDigi, the pin is high. It stays high after FLDigi is started and does not change when FLDidi is in the transmit or receive mode.
              >
              > I have tried all three modes for the parallel port in the bios with no change in the operation.
              >
              > Any suggestions to get the parallel port PTT to work?
              >
              > 73 - Thanks - Jim W5ZIT

              Sorry I meant pin 17.

              Ed W3NR

            • Jim Brown
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
                Is there a chance that some pin other than 16 on the parallel port which is described in the documentation for FLDigi is the right one to use for the PTT?  I have not tried any other pin on the parallel port, but pin 16.  I use pin 20 as my ground return.

                I do not compile FLDigi - I just download the version on the FLDigi site for Linux and install it per the instructions.

                I use a home brew interface that does not control the radio other than the PTT.  Using transformers and an opto-isolator for the PTT allows me to completely isolate the laptop from the radio which I find necessary to eliminate the ground loop problems I see otherwise.

                73 - Jim  W5ZIT

                On 06/01/2011 11:24 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
                > I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 with no serial port and wish to use the parallel port pin 16 to key my radio. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and FLDigi 3.21.9.
                >
                > When the laptop is booting, the pin is low but as soon as it finishes the boot and before starting FLDigi, the pin is high. It stays high after FLDigi is started and does not change when FLDidi is in the transmit or receive mode.
                >
                > I have tried all three modes for the parallel port in the bios with no change in the operation.
                >
                > Any suggestions to get the parallel port PTT to work?
                >
                > 73 - Thanks - Jim W5ZIT

                Sorry I meant pin 17.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
                  On 06/01/2011 09:37 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
                  > Is there a chance that some pin other than 16 on the parallel port which is described in the documentation for FLDigi is the right one to use for the PTT? I have not tried any other pin on the parallel port, but pin 16. I use pin 20 as my ground return.
                  >
                  > I do not compile FLDigi - I just download the version on the FLDigi site for Linux and install it per the instructions.
                  >
                  > I use a home brew interface that does not control the radio other than the PTT. Using transformers and an opto-isolator for the PTT allows me to completely isolate the laptop from the radio which I find necessary to eliminate the ground loop problems I see otherwise.
                  >
                  > 73 - Jim W5ZIT

                  As I said earlier you can try pin 17. Pin 18 is ground, not 20. what do
                  you have pin 1 doing ? This circuit works well ::

                  http://www.qsl.net/k0bx/Figure3.JPG

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 1, 2011
                    On 06/01/2011 09:37 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
                    > Is there a chance that some pin other than 16 on the parallel port which is described in the documentation for FLDigi is the right one to use for the PTT? I have not tried any other pin on the parallel port, but pin 16. I use pin 20 as my ground return.
                    >
                    > I do not compile FLDigi - I just download the version on the FLDigi site for Linux and install it per the instructions.
                    >
                    > I use a home brew interface that does not control the radio other than the PTT. Using transformers and an opto-isolator for the PTT allows me to completely isolate the laptop from the radio which I find necessary to eliminate the ground loop problems I see otherwise.
                    >
                    > 73 - Jim W5ZIT

                    Here is a good link ::

                    http://www.4sqrp.com/resource/cw_interface/cwinterface.html

                    Ed W3NR
                  • tj
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                      Jim,

                      There was a problem with the way fldigi init'ed the parallel port using
                      the linux ppdev driver. I meant to submit the fix for inclusion, but it
                      fell through the cracks. Just one file to change.
                      I would be happy to send you the fix and then I will get around to
                      submitting it to the maintainers.

                      Jeff
                      wd4nmq