Ubuntu Feisty 7.04, Audigy and fldigi.

  • johnrmace
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2007
      Hello all,
      I've clean-installed Ubuntu 7.04 and started with a clean slate, and
      now I get system sounds through my Audigy 2 ZS card working with the
      latest version of ALSA. Feisty looks very good, though not a lot
      different to 6.06 on the surface. The differences are under the hood,
      I reckon.
      So I downloaded fltk and the fldigi source code, installed hamlib, and
      everything compiled as it should (had to tell fltk where the X11 libs
      were, though).
      However, when I run fldigi I get the "Cannot open ttyS0" dialog, and
      once past that, no waterfall (I'm familiar with fldigi, so I knew to
      configure operator details etc.).
      I tried to chmod the ttyS0, but didn't help. I opened the gnome mixer
      panel and experimented with every slider and mute switch, but no
      waterfall. I do, however, get a tx tone. Tried alsamixer too, no better.

      So I installed gmfsk from the ubuntu repos, (nice to see so many ham
      radio apps available) and after a few minutes of twiddling mixers I
      got it all working - ptt through ttyS0 worked, and audio in/out
      worked. The settings were slightly odd:

      Recording:
      PCM Capture - "speaker" unmuted, slider anywhere, to get Tx audio (!)
      Analog Mix Capture - unmuted and set to max to hear Rx audio

      Playback:
      Master - unmuted and set to Tx level
      PCM - unmuted and set to Tx level
      Front - unmuted and set to max
      Line in - unmuted and set to Rx level

      Switches:
      tick Audigy Analog/Digital output jack

      All the other plethora of sliders seemed "don't care".

      With the settings that work for gmfsk I re-ran fldigi, but still no
      ptt and no waterfall.

      OSS mappings are as follows:

      john@linux:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
      VOLUME "Master" 0
      BASS "Tone Control - Bass" 0
      TREBLE "Tone Control - Treble" 0
      SYNTH "Synth" 0
      PCM "PCM" 0
      SPEAKER "PC Speaker" 0
      LINE "Line" 0
      MIC "Mic" 0
      CD "CD" 0
      IMIX "" 0
      ALTPCM "Headphone" 0
      RECLEV "" 0
      IGAIN "" 0
      OGAIN "" 0
      LINE1 "Aux" 0
      LINE2 "" 0
      LINE3 "" 0
      DIGITAL1 "IEC958 Optical" 0
      DIGITAL2 "" 0
      DIGITAL3 "" 0
      PHONEIN "Phone" 0
      PHONEOUT "Phone" 0
      VIDEO "" 0
      RADIO "" 0
      MONITOR "" 0

      I haven't tried changing mappings - I don't know how to. Is IGAIN the
      culprit?

      Anyway, I'm back on the air with gmfsk, and maybe this info is helpful
      to others having similar difficulties with fldigi, Feisty, and Audigy
      sound cards. I suspect the motherboard sound chip would have worked
      straight away, but I use the 24 bit Audigy card for other things so
      I'll persevere. Baffled by the ttyS0 problem though.

      I'd be happy to try anything or provide more info, but you'll have to
      dictate the command line stuff - still very green when it comes to
      that (but learning!).
      Regards,
      John G3ZTU