Re: [linuxham] ubuntu unity the Windows Me of the linux world

  • G6CKR
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
      One small point.
      Unity was the default for the netbook remix from the previous version.
      So I think you will have to say it is at least beta ;-)
      Just finished upgrading my Netbook and will try unity again with the
      option of switching back to Gnome in the wings.
      With 11.04 the netbook remix is back in the main Ubuntu no separate version.
      73 Roger G6CKR
      On 30/04/11 22:16, Bob N3PPH wrote:

      > I did revert to gnome. I had a little eye candy setup, wobbly windows
      > and the like with compiz. When I right clicked the compiz icon unity
      > came right back. I know I can hack it out but it is still quite annoying
      > for a distro to push that kind of alpha level software out.
      >
      > 73,
      > Bob N3PPH
      >

      > On 4/30/2011 4:30 PM, Martin Ewing wrote:
      >>

      >> I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something
      >> new for them. I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a
      >> major update on my main system without checking it on another system
      >> or under VMware. Unfortunately, they did not give people the
      >> appropriate warning. I bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.
      >>
      >> There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional
      >> Gnome desktop. You need to select it at login as others have said.
      >> You can make it your default for login, also. In traditional mode, go
      >> to System -> Administration -> Login Screen. Click "unlock", supply
      >> password, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close.
      >> You won't have to deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time,
      >> if ever. (All this can probably be done from within Unity, too.)
      >>
      >> I think Unity shows promise. It is rather Macintosh-like in a good
      >> way, but it is still immature and not easily configurable. (What if
      >> you don't want to use the left hand margin? Etc.) I do think the
      >> Ubuntu project has pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly. We
      >> all make mistakes.
      >>
      >> The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell)
      >> as a normal Ubuntu update would be.
      >>
      >> 73
      >> Martin
      >> AA6E
      >>
      >> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...
      >> <mailto:rsheskin@...>> wrote:
      >>

      >> I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One
      >> click and the whole process started.
      >>
      >> 73,
      >> Bob N3PPH

    • Frank Dinger
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1 3:40 AM
        Being new to this group ,  I am using Lubuntu 10.4 LTS and intend sticking with it until 2013 when I shall move to the next LTS.
        I love simplicity and don't need eye candy.
        If people have a problem with Unity ,they can always stick with traditional Gnome or  adopt KDE , LXDE or XFCE as their desktop.

        It is good to see that an increasing number of hams are Linux users and I shall follow this group with interest.

        73  Frank   GM0CSZ / KN6WH   in northern Scotland
        ============

        ===========

        =============

        =================
        >> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...
        >> <mailto:rsheskin@...>> wrote:
        >>

        >> I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One
        >> click and the whole process started.
        >>
        >> 73,
        >> Bob N3PPH

      • cwo4davemann
        Message 3 of 27 , May 1 7:05 AM
          The previous comment shows a good reason to not click on the Upgrade process without reviewing each and every items first. I'm a Linux beta tester (not for Ubuntu) and have been working with Linux since 1995. Having said that, I would warn users who are just now weaning themselves away from Windows to be aware that Linux is NOT Windows. For folks who have used Ubuntu (or other Linux derivations) the same advice applies. Applies two times since we are more sure of ourselves and think we can handle anything that Linux throws our way.

          Linux is sometimes like that cute little frog we caught when we were kids. We could pet Mister Froggie and tell it that it was the neatest little booger we had ever seen and just when you thought it was loving you, it peed on your hand.

          You can royally hose your system by doing things without knowing what you are doing. I apologize for my blunt language. Please remember that we were all "Newbies" at one point in our lives. Lord knows the number of applications and systems which I have destroyed over the years by unknowingly causing some process to begin. I once brought a Honeywell 6600 system to it's knees with a simple keystroke (actually a mistype on the 88-column card fed into it as part of a Job Control Language stack). Linux is pretty much the same, particularly if you insist in using sudo or logging in as root. Root operations are Russian Roulette with five chambers loaded, using Casull .454 hollow pointed rounds with the hollow point filled with fulminate of mercury and topped off with beeswax that's been mixed with rat poison..

          But I digressed -- as for Unity, it is a bifurcation of the usual Ubuntu user-oriented desktop. Just as KDE4 caused major problems, so has Unity. The problems will eventually be ironed out as more planned featres are added to each upgrade/update.

          There are people within the Ubuntu development whose agenda is different from those who counsel caution. The whole Unity issue has been discussed ad nauseum in various developer groups with a lot of hot reactions on both sides of the question. One side accused the Unity folks of "dumbing down" the interface. The other side accused the other of "living in the 19th century" (that may have been a misprint, unless somehow Lady Ada and Lord Babbage used as GUI and we don't know about it). (G-D only knows what they did with each others "computers" -- they were English, you see)

          Anyhoo, the Unity folks believe that the future of ALL graphical interfaces is the icon and widget world. They cite the Ipad and the Android species as examples and tell us that the next generation of users will want only widgets. The other side of the fence are those who expect Linux to continue to be very user-configurable without the "dumbed down" widget world. Bottom line is that THIS generation of Users ain't dead yet.

          It's pretty obvious to me -- after some 40 years of working with computers large and small, including development of the Z80 cpu for military uses -- that the twain will meet someplace in the middle. I know that some of us would like to meet Shania Twain in the middle, but the VA didn't send me any of those special pills this month; told me I was using too many of them.

          But back to Unity: At this juncture, Unity has caused more controversy within the developer cloud than you can imagine.

          Now as far as going back to your "old interface", do as others here have recommended and look at the bottom middle of your sign-on screen and choose the "Gnome" interface. You can also choose it without any visual effects, which is more memory conservative. If you want to get rid of Unity all together to save storage space, you can use the Synaptic Package application and search for Unity, then indicate that you want each and every iteration of Unity "completely removed". However, BE WARNED that by doing this you will damage the GUI and most likely hose your system. I recommend simply making the "Gnome without Visual Effects" as you log on choice and forget Unity. After all we each have at least 2 TB of hard drive running RAID 0, right?

          Very Best 73 to all,

          Dave
          N4CVX

          ----

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@...> wrote:

          > I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something new
          > for them. I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a major
          > update on my main system without checking it on another system or under
          > VMware. Unfortunately, they did not give people the appropriate warning. I
          > bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.
          >
          > There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional Gnome
          > desktop. You need to select it at login as others have said. You can make
          > it your default for login, also. In traditional mode, go to System ->
          > Administration -> Login Screen. Click "unlock", supply password, then
          > select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close. You won't have to
          > deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time, if ever. (All this can
          > probably be done from within Unity, too.)
          >
          > I think Unity shows promise. It is rather Macintosh-like in a good way, but
          > it is still immature and not easily configurable. (What if you don't want
          > to use the left hand margin? Etc.) I do think the Ubuntu project has
          > pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly. We all make mistakes.
          >
          > The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell) as a
          > normal Ubuntu update would be.
          >
          > 73
          > Martin
          > AA6E
          >
          > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One click
          > > and the whole process started.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Bob N3PPH

        • Leslie Johnson
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1 7:29 AM
            Roger,

            Good point. I thought it looked familiar! I have a netbook and I tried Ubuntu 10.10 notebook edition when I upgraded from 10.04. It was horrible then, too. I clobbered it with a reload of the regular desktop edition, which with the right settings actually is better on a small screen than Unity. For example, I like to auto-hide the top docking panel, and Unity won't let you as far as I could tell. Wasted real estate on the screen.

            I upgraded my other (larger) laptop to 11.04 and fiddled with Unity for a day and actually made it fairly usable, but I finally got tired of the numerous frustrations and went back to Gnome. Easy enough to switch it - I didn't even have to reboot.

            73,

             - Les N2YNK

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1 8:47 AM
              Roger,
              I tried out Fedora 15 so as to check out the Gnome 3 layout. It looks very much like Unity. Maybe it will be sorted out by the time
              another LTS version comes out. Meantime, yea for multi-boot.

              Rich
              WA4SXZ

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, G6CKR <radio@...> wrote:

              > One small point.
              > Unity was the default for the netbook remix from the previous version.
              > So I think you will have to say it is at least beta ;-)
              > Just finished upgrading my Netbook and will try unity again with the
              > option of switching back to Gnome in the wings.
              > With 11.04 the netbook remix is back in the main Ubuntu no separate version.
              > 73 Roger G6CKR
              > On 30/04/11 22:16, Bob N3PPH wrote:
              > >

              > > I did revert to gnome. I had a little eye candy setup, wobbly windows
              > > and the like with compiz. When I right clicked the compiz icon unity
              > > came right back. I know I can hack it out but it is still quite annoying
              > > for a distro to push that kind of alpha level software out.
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Bob N3PPH
              > >

              > > On 4/30/2011 4:30 PM, Martin Ewing wrote:
              > >>

              > >> I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something
              > >> new for them. I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a
              > >> major update on my main system without checking it on another system
              > >> or under VMware. Unfortunately, they did not give people the
              > >> appropriate warning. I bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.
              > >>
              > >> There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional
              > >> Gnome desktop. You need to select it at login as others have said.
              > >> You can make it your default for login, also. In traditional mode, go
              > >> to System -> Administration -> Login Screen. Click "unlock", supply
              > >> password, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close.
              > >> You won't have to deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time,
              > >> if ever. (All this can probably be done from within Unity, too.)
              > >>
              > >> I think Unity shows promise. It is rather Macintosh-like in a good
              > >> way, but it is still immature and not easily configurable. (What if
              > >> you don't want to use the left hand margin? Etc.) I do think the
              > >> Ubuntu project has pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly. We
              > >> all make mistakes.
              > >>
              > >> The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell)
              > >> as a normal Ubuntu update would be.
              > >>
              > >> 73
              > >> Martin
              > >> AA6E
              > >>
              > >> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...
              > >> <mailto:rsheskin@...>> wrote:
              > >>

              > >> I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One
              > >> click and the whole process started.
              > >>
              > >> 73,
              > >> Bob N3PPH

            • G6CKR
              Message 6 of 27 , May 1 9:36 AM
                Agreed.
                Long time since I played with a Frdora version.
                I have to say CYNin desktop now works with unity where it did not work
                with unity or Classic in 10.10.
                Roger

              • David
                Message 7 of 27 , May 1 6:25 PM
                  Hi All.....i have a Dell Dimension E521 AMD64 machine
                  which uses Nvidia chips...2gb ram 360gb h/d sata 64bit
                  goes very well for $A100 2nd hand machine

                  i tried the 32bit live C/D on it but i couldnt get it to use Unity as i
                  had to get the Nvidia graphic drivers
                  i d/l the 64bit DVD and then installed it on a 160gb USB Maxtor drive
                  and added Nvidia graphic driver (Experimental one)
                  i usually configure to auto start and found that Unity would jamb and i
                  couldnt get it to work
                  re installed it with a password so i could get to use the menu to Ubuntu
                  Classic
                  set it up to my liking and it looked good...then went and logged out of
                  the X screen and chose Ubuntu (Unity)
                  well blow me down it worked 100%......

                  do i like Unity...yes and no...its a bit clunky and also takes a bit of
                  finding the apps that you want to use
                  if i used Ubuntu 11.4 on a regular basis i would use Classic GUI as im
                  a Gnome freak
                  (cant teach a old dog to do new tricks).....in Unity i would like the
                  Icon bar down the bottom not up the side....
                  dont know how to do that yet...a doco on how to config it would be great

                  thems my thoughts

                  73 David VK4BDJ