Re: [linuxham] ubuntu unity the Windows Me of the linux world

  • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
      Den 30-04-2011 05:45, Bob N3PPH skrev:

      The title pretty much sums it up. I had my ham program shortcuts in a
      ham folder for the start menu. Now I have to look at a stupid dock that
      is a Windowmaker throw back and it decides I need libre office in my
      face. Fldigi is now an internet program. I got a message Virtualbox is
      not compatible. After recompiling fldigi I still can't get rig control
      back. I have redundant bars on both desktops, it looks like hell. I
      decided to just boot to Windows 7 because it is too late to deal with
      the aggravation, that now spits out an error that requires an extra
      click to boot.
      For others you may want to look at a live DVD of this trash before
      screwing you machine up, it appears I now have to reformat and go with
      another distro.

      Bob N3PPH

      Vy simple: turn Unity off (done in the login! Hint: select Ubuntu Classic)
      I did so too, terrible new addition!

      --
      Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

      ** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
      ** and ninety-nine per cent            **
      ** perspiration.                       **
      **               -- Thomas A. Edison   **
      email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
      http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
      Ph. +45 4619 3239
      Snailmail:
      Peter Frenning
      Ternevej 23
      DK-4130 Viby Sj.
      Denmark

    • Thomas Horsten
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
        Easy now, while I agree that Unity sucks it's easy to switch back, just choose "Gnome Classic" on the Login screen, and it will remember it for the next time.

        Then you can also get rid of the annoying "menu bar on top of the screen" quite easily and when that is done, Ubuntu 11.04 is just an upgraded version of 10.10 and works perfectly: http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/linux-distributions/linux-distributions4-ubuntu/1598-howto-disable-appmenu-global-menu-in-ubuntu-1104-natty-narwhal

        73 de Thomas M0TRN

        On 30 April 2011 04:45, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...> wrote:
        The title pretty much sums it up. I had my ham program shortcuts in a
        ham folder for the start menu. Now I have to look at a stupid dock that
        is a Windowmaker throw back and it decides I need libre office in my
        face. Fldigi is now an internet program. I got a message Virtualbox is
        not compatible. After recompiling fldigi I still can't get rig control
        back. I have redundant bars on both desktops, it looks like hell. I
        decided to just boot to Windows 7 because it is too late to deal with
        the aggravation, that now spits out an error that requires an extra
        click to boot.
        For others you may want to look at a live DVD of this trash before
        screwing you machine up, it appears I now have to reformat and go with
        another distro.

        Bob N3PPH

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
           linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ian Bennett
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
          Shame they didn't do the same when KDE4 was inflicted upon us. Another case of
          half baked, unfinished software. The developers should be shot.

          Ian

          On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:31:16 Thomas Horsten wrote:
          > Easy now, while I agree that Unity sucks it's easy to switch back, just
          > choose "Gnome Classic" on the Login screen, and it will remember it for the
          > next time.
          >
          > Then you can also get rid of the annoying "menu bar on top of the screen"
          > quite easily and when that is done, Ubuntu 11.04 is just an upgraded
          > version of 10.10 and works perfectly:
          > http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/linux-distributions/linux-distributi
          >ons4-ubuntu/1598-howto-disable-appmenu-global-menu-in-ubuntu-1104-natty-narw
          >hal
          >
          > 73 de Thomas M0TRN
          >
          > On 30 April 2011 04:45, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...> wrote:
          > > The title pretty much sums it up. I had my ham program shortcuts in a
          > > ham folder for the start menu. Now I have to look at a stupid dock that
          > > is a Windowmaker throw back and it decides I need libre office in my
          > > face. Fldigi is now an internet program. I got a message Virtualbox is
          > > not compatible. After recompiling fldigi I still can't get rig control
          > > back. I have redundant bars on both desktops, it looks like hell. I
          > > decided to just boot to Windows 7 because it is too late to deal with
          > > the aggravation, that now spits out an error that requires an extra
          > > click to boot.
          > > For others you may want to look at a live DVD of this trash before
          > > screwing you machine up, it appears I now have to reformat and go with
          > > another distro.
          > >
          > > --
          > > 73,
          > > Bob N3PPH

        • Nate Bargmann
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
            Or you could install the XFCE desktop and continue on, no reformatting
            necessary. It'll probably even pick up your shortcuts if they exist in
            the Desktop directory.

            73, de Nate >>

          • Bob N3PPH
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
              Problem being how can you trust a distro that would push out at best alpha code in a production environment?
              73,
              Bob N3PPH

              On 4/30/2011 8:09 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

              Or you could install the XFCE desktop and continue on, no reformatting
              necessary. It'll probably even pick up your shortcuts if they exist in
              the Desktop directory.

              73, de Nate >>

            • Luc Langehegermann
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                I have been trying Unity since the Natty beta. And it actually did grow on me, and I am really starting to like it...

                73 de Luc
              • Leslie Johnson
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                  Hi All,

                  I just upgraded yesterday, and I'm learning to live with Unity. I agree that at first I was horrified with the new Dock thingus on the left, but I learned how to fix it. If you use Compiz, you can go through the compiz config menus and reduce the size of the icons to 32x32 pixels, and then tell it to hide itself until you move the mouse to the left edge of the screen.

                  After seeing that there were Virtualbox problems, I checked mine, and it works fine. I have the non-free Oracle version, all 32-bit on a 32-bit Ubuntu Lenovo laptop.

                  There was a hitch though after the upgrade: At the first reboot, my system appeared to hang. The screen flashed three times, and then showed me a bunch of text messages of the usual sort when rebooting. I tried a couple of more reboots, with more-or-less the same results.

                  I tried ctr-alt-f2 from the dead screen, and got a login prompt. Hmm. I logged in and changed directories to /var/log, and did 'ls -ltr', which lists the log file in reverse time order, that is with the newest one at the bottom. The syslog was pretty recent, and showed me that the X server was failing because of trying to write to "fglrx" memory. I vaguely remember fglrx as being some fancy graphics card package, and I had a similar problem with it years ago, so I did 'sudo apt-get remove fglrx' and rebooted. It worked.

                  If anyone has an ATI Mobility Radeon video card, you might want to make note of this before upgrading.

                  But beyond that, I agree that Unity kind of sucks. I just opened the Dock and clicked on my "Terminal" icon to open a new terminal, and it just switched over to the desktop that had the first terminal open. I didn't want that terminal - I wanted a NEW terminal. Grumble.

                   73,

                   - Les N2YNK

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                      * On 2011 30 Apr 07:18 -0500, Bob N3PPH wrote:
                      > Problem being how can you trust a distro that would push out at best
                      > alpha code in a production environment?

                      If that is a concern, then Debian Stable may be of interest to you. As
                      I don't have the requirements of "production", Debian Unstable and
                      Testing work well for me as both are fairly close to "rolling" releasaes
                      and I prefer to keep up with software changes. Sometimes that is a real
                      challenge and a learning opportunity.

                      73, de Nate >>

                    • Peter Johnson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                        Hi All

                        On 30/04/2011 14:16, Bob N3PPH wrote:
                        Problem being how can you trust a distro that would push out at best alpha code in a production environment?
                        73,
                        Bob N3PPH

                        I think you will find Ubuntu and Kubuntu recomend you do not put it into a production
                        environment.
                        But to stick with 10.04 so the question should be can you trust the person who installs it into a
                        production environment.
                        I use Ubuntu and Kubuntu 11.04 but mine is in a home and hobby environment  so if its broken there is a
                        lot of Hams who use linux and who have a wealth of knowledge to help.

                        Regards Peter F1VKK

                      • G6CKR
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                          On 30/04/11 19:03, Peter Johnson wrote:

                          > Hi All
                          >
                          > On 30/04/2011 14:16, Bob N3PPH wrote:
                          >
                          >> Problem being how can you trust a distro that would push out at best
                          >> alpha code in a production environment?
                          >> 73,
                          >> Bob N3PPH
                          >>

                          > I think you will find Ubuntu and Kubuntu recomend you do not put it into
                          > a production
                          > environment.
                          > But to stick with 10.04 so the question should be can you trust the
                          > person who installs it into a
                          > production environment.
                          > I use Ubuntu and Kubuntu 11.04 but mine is in a home and hobby
                          > environment so if its broken there is a
                          > lot of Hams who use linux and who have a wealth of knowledge to help.
                          >
                          > Regards Peter F1VKK
                          And of course home environment users usually have enough space on their
                          hard drives to do a parallel install if there is any doubt so they can
                          boot back to the older version if need be.
                          73 Roger G6CKR
                        • Bob N3PPH

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                              Hi Bob.

                              That was justed damned unfortunate.
                              But please stick at it you will win in the end with Linux.

                              Best of luck
                              Regards Peter. F1VKK

                              On 30/04/2011 21:00, Bob N3PPH wrote:
[...]

                            • mm0fmf
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                                Bob N3PPH wrote:

                                > I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One click
                                > and the whole process started.

                                Well if you'll answer yes to a question like that without considering
                                the consequences then please send me all your personal details (bank
                                account, name, SSN, credit card numbers, DOB etc.) because I have this
                                ongoing deal with a cashier in a bank in Nigeria who has found $27000000
                                (TWENTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS US) that he needs to get out of the country.

                                :-)

                                Or to put it another way... you won't do it again.

                                Andy
                                MR0FMF
                              • Bob N3PPH

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                                    I was following the distro's recommendation. As for the rest of your message stick it where the sun don't shine.
                                    73,
                                    Bob N3PPH

                                    On 4/30/2011 3:15 PM, mm0fmf wrote:

                                    Bob N3PPH wrote:

                                    > I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One click
                                    > and the whole process started.

                                    Well if you'll answer yes to a question like that without considering
                                    the consequences then please send me all your personal details (bank
                                    account, name, SSN, credit card numbers, DOB etc.) because I have this
                                    ongoing deal with a cashier in a bank in Nigeria who has found $27000000
                                    (TWENTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS US) that he needs to get out of the country.

                                    :-)

                                    Or to put it another way... you won't do it again.

                                    Andy
                                    MR0FMF

                                  • Martin Ewing
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                                      I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something new for them.  I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a major update on my main system without checking it on another system or under VMware.  Unfortunately, they did not give people the appropriate warning.  I bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.

                                      There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional Gnome desktop.  You need to select it at login as others have said.  You can make it your default for login, also.  In traditional mode, go to System -> Administration -> Login Screen.  Click "unlock", supply password, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close.  You won't have to deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time, if ever.  (All this can probably be done from within Unity, too.)

                                      I think Unity shows promise.  It is rather Macintosh-like in a good way, but it is still immature and not easily configurable.  (What if you don't want to use the left hand margin?  Etc.)  I do think the Ubuntu project has pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly.  We all make mistakes.

                                      The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell) as a normal Ubuntu update would be.

                                      73
                                      Martin
                                      AA6E

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 30, 2011
                                          One small point.
                                          Unity was the default for the netbook remix from the previous version.
                                          So I think you will have to say it is at least beta ;-)
                                          Just finished upgrading my Netbook and will try unity again with the
                                          option of switching back to Gnome in the wings.
                                          With 11.04 the netbook remix is back in the main Ubuntu no separate version.
                                          73 Roger G6CKR
                                          On 30/04/11 22:16, Bob N3PPH wrote:

                                          > I did revert to gnome. I had a little eye candy setup, wobbly windows
                                          > and the like with compiz. When I right clicked the compiz icon unity
                                          > came right back. I know I can hack it out but it is still quite annoying
                                          > for a distro to push that kind of alpha level software out.
                                          >
                                          > 73,
                                          > Bob N3PPH
                                          >

                                          > On 4/30/2011 4:30 PM, Martin Ewing wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >> I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something
                                          >> new for them. I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a
                                          >> major update on my main system without checking it on another system
                                          >> or under VMware. Unfortunately, they did not give people the
                                          >> appropriate warning. I bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.
                                          >>
                                          >> There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional
                                          >> Gnome desktop. You need to select it at login as others have said.
                                          >> You can make it your default for login, also. In traditional mode, go
                                          >> to System -> Administration -> Login Screen. Click "unlock", supply
                                          >> password, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close.
                                          >> You won't have to deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time,
                                          >> if ever. (All this can probably be done from within Unity, too.)
                                          >>
                                          >> I think Unity shows promise. It is rather Macintosh-like in a good
                                          >> way, but it is still immature and not easily configurable. (What if
                                          >> you don't want to use the left hand margin? Etc.) I do think the
                                          >> Ubuntu project has pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly. We
                                          >> all make mistakes.
                                          >>
                                          >> The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell)
                                          >> as a normal Ubuntu update would be.
                                          >>
                                          >> 73
                                          >> Martin
                                          >> AA6E
                                          >>
                                          >> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...
                                          >> <mailto:rsheskin@...>> wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >> I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One
                                          >> click and the whole process started.
                                          >>
                                          >> 73,
                                          >> Bob N3PPH

                                        • Frank Dinger
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                            Being new to this group ,  I am using Lubuntu 10.4 LTS and intend sticking with it until 2013 when I shall move to the next LTS.
                                            I love simplicity and don't need eye candy.
                                            If people have a problem with Unity ,they can always stick with traditional Gnome or  adopt KDE , LXDE or XFCE as their desktop.

                                            It is good to see that an increasing number of hams are Linux users and I shall follow this group with interest.

                                            73  Frank   GM0CSZ / KN6WH   in northern Scotland
                                            ============

                                            ===========

                                            =============

                                            =================
                                            >> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...
                                            >> <mailto:rsheskin@...>> wrote:
                                            >>

                                            >> I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One
                                            >> click and the whole process started.
                                            >>
                                            >> 73,
                                            >> Bob N3PPH

                                          • cwo4davemann
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                              The previous comment shows a good reason to not click on the Upgrade process without reviewing each and every items first. I'm a Linux beta tester (not for Ubuntu) and have been working with Linux since 1995. Having said that, I would warn users who are just now weaning themselves away from Windows to be aware that Linux is NOT Windows. For folks who have used Ubuntu (or other Linux derivations) the same advice applies. Applies two times since we are more sure of ourselves and think we can handle anything that Linux throws our way.

                                              Linux is sometimes like that cute little frog we caught when we were kids. We could pet Mister Froggie and tell it that it was the neatest little booger we had ever seen and just when you thought it was loving you, it peed on your hand.

                                              You can royally hose your system by doing things without knowing what you are doing. I apologize for my blunt language. Please remember that we were all "Newbies" at one point in our lives. Lord knows the number of applications and systems which I have destroyed over the years by unknowingly causing some process to begin. I once brought a Honeywell 6600 system to it's knees with a simple keystroke (actually a mistype on the 88-column card fed into it as part of a Job Control Language stack). Linux is pretty much the same, particularly if you insist in using sudo or logging in as root. Root operations are Russian Roulette with five chambers loaded, using Casull .454 hollow pointed rounds with the hollow point filled with fulminate of mercury and topped off with beeswax that's been mixed with rat poison..

                                              But I digressed -- as for Unity, it is a bifurcation of the usual Ubuntu user-oriented desktop. Just as KDE4 caused major problems, so has Unity. The problems will eventually be ironed out as more planned featres are added to each upgrade/update.

                                              There are people within the Ubuntu development whose agenda is different from those who counsel caution. The whole Unity issue has been discussed ad nauseum in various developer groups with a lot of hot reactions on both sides of the question. One side accused the Unity folks of "dumbing down" the interface. The other side accused the other of "living in the 19th century" (that may have been a misprint, unless somehow Lady Ada and Lord Babbage used as GUI and we don't know about it). (G-D only knows what they did with each others "computers" -- they were English, you see)

                                              Anyhoo, the Unity folks believe that the future of ALL graphical interfaces is the icon and widget world. They cite the Ipad and the Android species as examples and tell us that the next generation of users will want only widgets. The other side of the fence are those who expect Linux to continue to be very user-configurable without the "dumbed down" widget world. Bottom line is that THIS generation of Users ain't dead yet.

                                              It's pretty obvious to me -- after some 40 years of working with computers large and small, including development of the Z80 cpu for military uses -- that the twain will meet someplace in the middle. I know that some of us would like to meet Shania Twain in the middle, but the VA didn't send me any of those special pills this month; told me I was using too many of them.

                                              But back to Unity: At this juncture, Unity has caused more controversy within the developer cloud than you can imagine.

                                              Now as far as going back to your "old interface", do as others here have recommended and look at the bottom middle of your sign-on screen and choose the "Gnome" interface. You can also choose it without any visual effects, which is more memory conservative. If you want to get rid of Unity all together to save storage space, you can use the Synaptic Package application and search for Unity, then indicate that you want each and every iteration of Unity "completely removed". However, BE WARNED that by doing this you will damage the GUI and most likely hose your system. I recommend simply making the "Gnome without Visual Effects" as you log on choice and forget Unity. After all we each have at least 2 TB of hard drive running RAID 0, right?

                                              Very Best 73 to all,

                                              Dave
                                              N4CVX

                                              ----

                                              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@...> wrote:

                                              > I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something new
                                              > for them. I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a major
                                              > update on my main system without checking it on another system or under
                                              > VMware. Unfortunately, they did not give people the appropriate warning. I
                                              > bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.
                                              >
                                              > There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional Gnome
                                              > desktop. You need to select it at login as others have said. You can make
                                              > it your default for login, also. In traditional mode, go to System ->
                                              > Administration -> Login Screen. Click "unlock", supply password, then
                                              > select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close. You won't have to
                                              > deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time, if ever. (All this can
                                              > probably be done from within Unity, too.)
                                              >
                                              > I think Unity shows promise. It is rather Macintosh-like in a good way, but
                                              > it is still immature and not easily configurable. (What if you don't want
                                              > to use the left hand margin? Etc.) I do think the Ubuntu project has
                                              > pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly. We all make mistakes.
                                              >
                                              > The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell) as a
                                              > normal Ubuntu update would be.
                                              >
                                              > 73
                                              > Martin
                                              > AA6E
                                              >
                                              > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One click
                                              > > and the whole process started.
                                              > >
                                              > > 73,
                                              > > Bob N3PPH

                                            • Leslie Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                                Roger,

                                                Good point. I thought it looked familiar! I have a netbook and I tried Ubuntu 10.10 notebook edition when I upgraded from 10.04. It was horrible then, too. I clobbered it with a reload of the regular desktop edition, which with the right settings actually is better on a small screen than Unity. For example, I like to auto-hide the top docking panel, and Unity won't let you as far as I could tell. Wasted real estate on the screen.

                                                I upgraded my other (larger) laptop to 11.04 and fiddled with Unity for a day and actually made it fairly usable, but I finally got tired of the numerous frustrations and went back to Gnome. Easy enough to switch it - I didn't even have to reboot.

                                                73,

                                                 - Les N2YNK

                                              • Rich
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                                  Roger,
                                                  I tried out Fedora 15 so as to check out the Gnome 3 layout. It looks very much like Unity. Maybe it will be sorted out by the time
                                                  another LTS version comes out. Meantime, yea for multi-boot.

                                                  Rich
                                                  WA4SXZ

                                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, G6CKR <radio@...> wrote:

                                                  > One small point.
                                                  > Unity was the default for the netbook remix from the previous version.
                                                  > So I think you will have to say it is at least beta ;-)
                                                  > Just finished upgrading my Netbook and will try unity again with the
                                                  > option of switching back to Gnome in the wings.
                                                  > With 11.04 the netbook remix is back in the main Ubuntu no separate version.
                                                  > 73 Roger G6CKR
                                                  > On 30/04/11 22:16, Bob N3PPH wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > > I did revert to gnome. I had a little eye candy setup, wobbly windows
                                                  > > and the like with compiz. When I right clicked the compiz icon unity
                                                  > > came right back. I know I can hack it out but it is still quite annoying
                                                  > > for a distro to push that kind of alpha level software out.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > 73,
                                                  > > Bob N3PPH
                                                  > >

                                                  > > On 4/30/2011 4:30 PM, Martin Ewing wrote:
                                                  > >>

                                                  > >> I run Ubuntu and got the same pushy notification -- which is something
                                                  > >> new for them. I am pretty conservative and I know I should never do a
                                                  > >> major update on my main system without checking it on another system
                                                  > >> or under VMware. Unfortunately, they did not give people the
                                                  > >> appropriate warning. I bet they will get a lot of flack on this one.
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> There is really no problem if you want to stay with the traditional
                                                  > >> Gnome desktop. You need to select it at login as others have said.
                                                  > >> You can make it your default for login, also. In traditional mode, go
                                                  > >> to System -> Administration -> Login Screen. Click "unlock", supply
                                                  > >> password, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as default session, and close.
                                                  > >> You won't have to deal with the Unity desktop again for a long time,
                                                  > >> if ever. (All this can probably be done from within Unity, too.)
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> I think Unity shows promise. It is rather Macintosh-like in a good
                                                  > >> way, but it is still immature and not easily configurable. (What if
                                                  > >> you don't want to use the left hand margin? Etc.) I do think the
                                                  > >> Ubuntu project has pushed this on unsuspecting users too quickly. We
                                                  > >> all make mistakes.
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> The underlying Linux update is just as stable (as far as I can tell)
                                                  > >> as a normal Ubuntu update would be.
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> 73
                                                  > >> Martin
                                                  > >> AA6E
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Bob N3PPH <rsheskin@...
                                                  > >> <mailto:rsheskin@...>> wrote:
                                                  > >>

                                                  > >> I had a window pop up suggesting I upgrade to the new release. One
                                                  > >> click and the whole process started.
                                                  > >>
                                                  > >> 73,
                                                  > >> Bob N3PPH

                                                • G6CKR
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                                    Agreed.
                                                    Long time since I played with a Frdora version.
                                                    I have to say CYNin desktop now works with unity where it did not work
                                                    with unity or Classic in 10.10.
                                                    Roger

                                                  • David
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 1, 2011
                                                      Hi All.....i have a Dell Dimension E521 AMD64 machine
                                                      which uses Nvidia chips...2gb ram 360gb h/d sata 64bit
                                                      goes very well for $A100 2nd hand machine

                                                      i tried the 32bit live C/D on it but i couldnt get it to use Unity as i
                                                      had to get the Nvidia graphic drivers
                                                      i d/l the 64bit DVD and then installed it on a 160gb USB Maxtor drive
                                                      and added Nvidia graphic driver (Experimental one)
                                                      i usually configure to auto start and found that Unity would jamb and i
                                                      couldnt get it to work
                                                      re installed it with a password so i could get to use the menu to Ubuntu
                                                      Classic
                                                      set it up to my liking and it looked good...then went and logged out of
                                                      the X screen and chose Ubuntu (Unity)
                                                      well blow me down it worked 100%......

                                                      do i like Unity...yes and no...its a bit clunky and also takes a bit of
                                                      finding the apps that you want to use
                                                      if i used Ubuntu 11.4 on a regular basis i would use Classic GUI as im
                                                      a Gnome freak
                                                      (cant teach a old dog to do new tricks).....in Unity i would like the
                                                      Icon bar down the bottom not up the side....
                                                      dont know how to do that yet...a doco on how to config it would be great

                                                      thems my thoughts

                                                      73 David VK4BDJ