Re: [linuxham] about opinions of error FLdigi

  • doc@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2011
      While there are many elements of Linux which are common
      across distros, there are *many* that are not - and not
      so even sometimes within constantly-developing distros.
      No single book, or shelf-full of books, covers all of
      the distros and all of their variations.

      The time invested in sifting through multiple books in hope
      of stumbling upon some obscure anomaly, unique to a specific
      distro, is a fools-errand - don't ask me how I know that!

      My conclusion, as I believe is true of most Linux users, was
      to choose a distro and try learn it well. Then do distro-
      specific searches (I prefer https://startpage.com). Then ask
      distro-specific questions on distro-specific Forums.

      Specialty-app Forums are unlikely to have the diversity of
      well-informed distro-specific 'experts' to respond to every
      distro-specific question.

      I have been 'torturing' the kind and patient folks on the
      Puppy Linux Forum for years! I try to only ask fldigi-specific
      questions here.

      HTH ...

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E
      David Colburn http://kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2011
        Rich,
        I started using Linux in 1997. Since then I tried RedHat, Slackware, Mandrake and I'm currently working an Ubuntu 10.04LTS system on a laptop, which is made of quite difficult to use, Windows developed hardware. I faced many problems getting the good screen resolution (it was 800x600 at first startup of Ubuntu), getting my printer work (a Canon iP90), getting my WiFi network operate steadily, with sound... I faced problems to get HamRadio softwares work. But I got every time a solution to these problems and I must deeply thank all these Linux users of this worldwide spread Linux community : to name only some of their forums

        http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/
        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad
        http://www.h-online.com/open/news/
        http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos
        http://fullcirclemagazine.org/
        http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=All&ordpat=title
        and I shall not forget this yahoo group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/?yguid=348774314

        Well to summerize I faced many problems and still do but I allways found on these - and others which I forgot to quote - links a very helpful hand who provided advice, sometimes it was bad and - I'm the only responsible man - my system crashed but I reinstalled it, got a higher experience and did not make again the same mistake. Well this Linux community is a community you will not find anywhere else and it does cost nothing, only time and good will.
        I like Ubuntu 10.04LTS and trust it, I don't care about it being dissiminated from a South African business man, this does not mean anything as its developers are spread everywhere in the world and as the Kernel developer, Linus Torvalds, a Finnish, is still very active as the developer of a new kernel every 6 weeks.
        I should add that this OS is very flexible : Ubuntu 10.04LTS is supposed to run a 2.6.32 kernel and I'm running a 2.6.38 kernel (same as Ubuntu 11.04, still in beta phase) to my total satisfaction.
        I dislike Windows, never tested Mac (a Unix OS) and trust Linux.
        73s, jcglt - FK8IH