Re: [linuxham] about opinions of error FLdigi

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 6:40 PM
      Richard,

      I think you need to spend some time learning about the history of Linux.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux, and what it is and is not.

      It is not owned by any one distributor, be it Red Hat, Mandrake, Ubuntu or other.  These are merely distributors who add some value and then charge for either the published copy, the support, or both.

      The History of Linux began in 1991 with the commencement of a personal project by a Finnish student, Linus Torvalds, to create a new operating system kernel.

      Since then the resulting Linux kernel has been marked by constant growth throughout its history. Since the initial release of its source code in 1991, it has grown from a small number of C files under a license prohibiting commercial distribution to its state in 2009 of over 370 megabytes of source under the GNU General Public License.

      If you really feel strongly about not using a product not made in America then Linux is not for you.  Oh, and fldigi and the other flxxxx applications aren't either.  These applications are developed and maintained by a world-wide consortium of persons who freely give of their time and talents.  Fldigi's developers reside in far flung regions of the world ... United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, France, Italy, New Zealand with a handful in the U.S. ... California, Michigan, Maryland and Alabama.

      I think those who recommended a distribution other than Fedora were trying to ease your entry into the world of Linux.  Slamming the door in the face of a friend is not recommended!

      73, Dave, W1HKJ (Alabama)

      Richard Dowty wrote:
      I am really disappointed in all of you.
      1. where did all of you guys started with Linux? (at the bottom?of the list?)
      2. I am all 100% American when it comes to products however sometimes we can not avoid it.
      3.Fedora 14 is a Red Hat product and it is in State of Virginia.(where is Unbuntu made?)
      4. Sure I maybe green at this and starting out at a retirement age so I will be slow learning the ropes but progress will be made. Also computers is not my favorite subject. SO, Give ME a Break,,,,,OK!!! and oh by the way I bought several Linux books including the bible of Linux. Not all the answers are in the book....I have made research before making my statement about the error to find them in the book. not in the book.....
      I hope I have made my point!
      Rich/W7EET

    • doc@kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2 6:55 PM
        While there are many elements of Linux which are common
        across distros, there are *many* that are not - and not
        so even sometimes within constantly-developing distros.
        No single book, or shelf-full of books, covers all of
        the distros and all of their variations.

        The time invested in sifting through multiple books in hope
        of stumbling upon some obscure anomaly, unique to a specific
        distro, is a fools-errand - don't ask me how I know that!

        My conclusion, as I believe is true of most Linux users, was
        to choose a distro and try learn it well. Then do distro-
        specific searches (I prefer https://startpage.com). Then ask
        distro-specific questions on distro-specific Forums.

        Specialty-app Forums are unlikely to have the diversity of
        well-informed distro-specific 'experts' to respond to every
        distro-specific question.

        I have been 'torturing' the kind and patient folks on the
        Puppy Linux Forum for years! I try to only ask fldigi-specific
        questions here.

        HTH ...

        --

        Thanks! & 73, KD4E
        David Colburn http://kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 8:06 PM
          Rich,
          I started using Linux in 1997. Since then I tried RedHat, Slackware, Mandrake and I'm currently working an Ubuntu 10.04LTS system on a laptop, which is made of quite difficult to use, Windows developed hardware. I faced many problems getting the good screen resolution (it was 800x600 at first startup of Ubuntu), getting my printer work (a Canon iP90), getting my WiFi network operate steadily, with sound... I faced problems to get HamRadio softwares work. But I got every time a solution to these problems and I must deeply thank all these Linux users of this worldwide spread Linux community : to name only some of their forums

          http://www.ubuntu-fr.org/
          https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad
          http://www.h-online.com/open/news/
          http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos
          http://fullcirclemagazine.org/
          http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=All&ordpat=title
          and I shall not forget this yahoo group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/?yguid=348774314

          Well to summerize I faced many problems and still do but I allways found on these - and others which I forgot to quote - links a very helpful hand who provided advice, sometimes it was bad and - I'm the only responsible man - my system crashed but I reinstalled it, got a higher experience and did not make again the same mistake. Well this Linux community is a community you will not find anywhere else and it does cost nothing, only time and good will.
          I like Ubuntu 10.04LTS and trust it, I don't care about it being dissiminated from a South African business man, this does not mean anything as its developers are spread everywhere in the world and as the Kernel developer, Linus Torvalds, a Finnish, is still very active as the developer of a new kernel every 6 weeks.
          I should add that this OS is very flexible : Ubuntu 10.04LTS is supposed to run a 2.6.32 kernel and I'm running a 2.6.38 kernel (same as Ubuntu 11.04, still in beta phase) to my total satisfaction.
          I dislike Windows, never tested Mac (a Unix OS) and trust Linux.
          73s, jcglt - FK8IH