Re: [linuxham] error on fldigi

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
      On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 10:47:12 -0700 (PDT)
      Richard Dowty <w7eet@...> wrote:

      > I am really green about linux in what to do... I have no idea what or
      > how to do with what instructions you have applied. Rich/W7EET
      >
      > --- On Sat, 4/2/11, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

      My first suggestion is to buy a book on Linux. Probably a Linux bible.

      I'm not sure what made you decide on Fedora, but as a Linux newbie it
      would be at the bottom of the list.

      I would suggest installing Ubuntu 10.04 which is more user friendly and
      a lot easier to get around in for a newbie.

      I sent the original how-to on sound to Dave. He added some
      refinements, but I have to credit Hamish Moffatt, VK3SB for the
      original help with this.

      Ed W3NR
    • David A. Ranch
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
        Though not on topic for the Fldigi list but Fedora is a fine HAM shack
        Linux and there is no reason to abandon it and start all over. I would
        argue that Fedora is not any more difficult to use or learn than
        Ubuntu. It comes down to personal preference and I encourage you to
        try different distributions and come to your own conclusions. They all
        have their unique strengths. With that said, for HAM specific uses,
        you'll probably be best off with non-cutting edge versions of either
        Ubuntu (only run the x.04 releases such as 9.04 or 10.04) , Fedora, or
        say Puppy Linux.

        Me? I run Centos (distantly related to Fedora) but I'm a masochist.
        Nothing is easy HA M wise with this distribution other than I get
        security updates for five yrs.

        --David

      • doc@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
          My personal recommendation is Puppy Linux.

          The Puppy Forum includes developers and users, most of
          whom are very helpful, and the archives are loaded with
          info.

          Also, there are lots of different sub-versions of Puppy,
          each optimized for various purposes - but loosely based
          on the same core.

          The heart of Puppy is small, fast, efficient, and flexible.

          I use "Fluppy" Linux. It is based on Puppy and flows from
          the "Puppeee" project - an early effort to optimize Linux
          for the eee-series of Netbooks.

          Fluppy is more generic then "Puppeee" - we have it on four
          notebook and two netbook PCs.

          Here's the Pupeee homepage:
          http://puppeee.com/web/

          Here are various popular apps that have been compiled to
          run well under Puppeee and Fluppy:
          http://puppeee.com/web/petstore/

          Here is the generic Puppy Linux homepage:
          http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm

          HTH ...

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E
          David Colburn http://kd4e.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2011
            On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:13:14 -0700
            "David A. Ranch" <linuxham-fld@...> wrote:

            > Me? I run Centos (distantly related to Fedora) but I'm a masochist.
            > Nothing is easy HA M wise with this distribution other than I get
            > security updates for five yrs.
            >
            > --David

            I see the last release of Centos was May of 2010. To each his own.

            Ed W3NR
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2011
              On Saturday, April 02, 2011 03:00:19 pm you wrote:
              > Though Fedora is a different distribution than Ubuntu, most Linux
              > distributions share 90%+ of the same Linux and other free software
              > (licensed as GNU, GPL, LGPL, Apache, BSD, etc.). Anyway, Fedora 14 uses
              > PulseAudio just like Ubuntu 9.10+:

              PulseAudio os designed to manage the audio devices for you, just as you
              expect. If you use the ALSA or ALSA/OSS (does Fedora 14 even have OSS
              emulation in the kernel any more?) or the PortAudio APIs then you bypass
              PulseAudio's already built-in way of handling this.

              Select Pulse from Fldigi, then start the PulseAudio Volume Control. Install it
              if it isn't there, but it should be, and find in the playback and recording
              tabs, the entry for Fldigi there. Select the sound device and input or output
              that you want Fldigi to use, and Pulse will remember it from then on. Pulse
              will handle any sample rate conversions for you.

              A typical sound card has *many* inputs and outputs and many modes of operation
              from stereo to surround sound to mono to various sample rates. There is no
              *one* entry that will work for a manually entered card setup using ALSA or
              ALSA/OSS or PortAudio. You need to know what to select. The changing numbering
              isn't just limited to Linux, Windows will sometimes do this too. It's one of
              the disadvantages to using USB for sound. Pulse helps a lot with this.

              Any modern distro should have a fully working PulseAudio system. Use it.
              That's why it is there, to handle the management of the sound devices and the
              inputs and outputs to and from applications for you. This is possible using
              Pulse on a single machine or across a network to another machine. Pulse has
              many features, such as stream redirection, i.e. sent the output to another
              machine across the room or around the world, or just to making the remembering
              of the preferred device for an application permanent.

              Pulse had a few rough edges when the change to it was first underway, but those
              days are long past.

              Rick Kunath, k9ao