Com port, USB

  • ThomasA
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      OK I have everything going smoothly, The next thing is to get rig control, I am a new Linux Mint user, and am having trouble, figuring this out. I believe I have to set the port up, but do not know how, any tips on how to do this before I dive in? Equipment.... HP, desk top, Only has USB ports, would like to install a serial port, (any recomends?) FLdigi, and CQRlog, like to get it going with both FLdigi and CQRlog, oh yea, Linux Mint... thanks for any input. Once I can figure out how to set it up, I should be able to do the rest, between programs, just not sure how ports work with Linux, I know with windows had to go to device manager and set ports. Thanks!!
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:28:45 -0000
        "ThomasA" <k8wdx@...> wrote:

        > OK I have everything going smoothly, The next thing is to get rig
        > control, I am a new Linux Mint user, and am having trouble, figuring
        > this out. I believe I have to set the port up, but do not know how,
        > any tips on how to do this before I dive in? Equipment.... HP, desk
        > top, Only has USB ports, would like to install a serial port, (any
        > recomends?) FLdigi, and CQRlog, like to get it going with both FLdigi
        > and CQRlog, oh yea, Linux Mint... thanks for any input. Once I can
        > figure out how to set it up, I should be able to do the rest, between
        > programs, just not sure how ports work with Linux, I know with
        > windows had to go to device manager and set ports. Thanks!!

        Both fldigi and flrig will automatically discover all available ports
        for use. In this case you need to select /dev/ttyUSB0 from the drop
        down menu. This will be the same whether you use rigCAT, hamlib or
        flrig. More reading here that miight help ::

        http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/TransceiverControl.html

        Ed W3NR
      • Skip Teller
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011

          If you have an open slot, I recommend installed a serial port card and avoiding the hassles of virtual USB ports. A two-port or four-port card would be nice. They are not too expensive.

          73, Skip KH6TY

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            ThomasA wrote:
            > OK I have everything going smoothly, The next thing is to get rig control, I am a new Linux Mint user, and am having trouble, figuring this out. I believe I have to set the port up, but do not know how, any tips on how to do this before I dive in? Equipment.... HP, desk top, Only has USB ports, would like to install a serial port, (any recomends?) FLdigi, and CQRlog, like to get it going with both FLdigi and CQRlog, oh yea, Linux Mint... thanks for any input. Once I can figure out how to set it up, I should be able to do the rest, between programs, just not sure how ports work with Linux, I know with windows had to go to device manager and set ports. Thanks!!
            You may have to set user / group permissions for access to the tty
            devices. How to do that is distribution dependent. Some like Ubuntu
            default to setting those permissions for all users. I did a quick look
            at the www.linuxmint.com site but did not find a tutorial on tty
            devices. I suggest that you might have better luck by searching the
            linuxmint forum database for this info. There might be another
            linuxmint user on this group who could help you.

            73, Dave, W1HKJ
          • ThomasA
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Skip Teller <skipteller@...> wrote:

              > If you have an open slot, I recommend installed a serial port card and
              > avoiding the hassles of virtual USB ports. A two-port or four-port card
              > would be nice. They are not too expensive.
              >
              > 73, Skip KH6TY
              Skip, that is what I would like to do, and card recommends? I see alot for windows I see some for apple, I think those would work since it is unix. Thanks..

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                Serial ports are OS independent. Not sure about the slots in Apple computers, though. A search on eBay for serial port card brings up many choices. Just be sure you get one for the correct slot in the computer. Probably PCI, if the computer is relatively new. There is also a PCI Express slot I think. Best to check the computer manual or search for it online. Don't need the very expensive ones. A two-port card for $15 to $20 should be OK. Even cheaper at hamfests.

                73, Skip KH6TY

                On 4/1/2011 8:51 AM, ThomasA wrote:

                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Skip Teller <skipteller@...> wrote:

                > If you have an open slot, I recommend installed a serial port card and
                > avoiding the hassles of virtual USB ports. A two-port or four-port card
                > would be nice. They are not too expensive.
                >
                > 73, Skip KH6TY
                Skip, that is what I would like to do, and card recommends? I see alot for windows I see some for apple, I think those would work since it is unix. Thanks..

                _
              • w7eet
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                  If you get error messages about /dev/ttyUSB0 let me know and I will send you a step by step proceedure to try and see if it will correct it.
                  Rich/w7eet

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "w7eet" <w7eet@...> wrote:

                    > If you get error messages about /dev/ttyUSB0 let me know and I will send you a step by step proceedure to try and see if it will correct it.
                    > Rich/w7eet
                    Thanks Rich, I will try it later this week end, I have a PCI serial card I will install that as well, and see how that works, I am truly having fun...