Re: Kachina CAT 0.945b posted

  • w3frg01
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 5:10 PM
      Dave,

      This (Windows)version is working better than ever.
      Your two steps ahead of my thoughts on items that you incorporate.
      Your pgm has a lot of advantages and ease of use over the original
      505.exe pgm.

      Looking fwd to the freq cal, if it's on the list of things to do, hi.
      There isn't much after that, or is there ?

      Tom (frg)

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "David Freese" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

      > Code cleanup in the function that executes on initial program
      startup.
      > AGC levels at startup should now be the same as when program was
      last
      > used.
      >
      > Note that you have to select the check box under Menu "Config/Save
      on
      > exit" for the program to bypass the request for serial device dialog
      > when the proram starts up. This will also save all of the color and
      > antenna port / frequency band settings that you have configured.
      This

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8 5:41 PM
        w3frg01 wrote:

        >Dave,
        >
        >This (Windows)version is working better than ever.
        >Your two steps ahead of my thoughts on items that you incorporate.
        >Your pgm has a lot of advantages and ease of use over the original
        >505.exe pgm.

        Thanks! I'm glad to receive good news on the latest revisions.

        >Looking fwd to the freq cal, if it's on the list of things to do, hi.
        >There isn't much after that, or is there ?

        Oh yes, many things on the agenda, time permitting. The first thing I
        want to be able to do is read all of the NRAM data and save it to a
        disk file for future uploading back to the transceiver. I think there
        is enough information in the programming specification file, but I want
        to verify the safeness of various commands. I'm hoping that either Doug
        Smith or Dan Kimball will assist me on that front. You know of Doug,
        QEX editor. Dan is listed as one of the Kachina technicians who still
        does repairs on the rigs. I sent him an email request (got a read
        receipt) and am waiting for a reply.

        Frequency cal is of course on the list. But the specification sheet is
        not very helpful or illuminating.

        The data that the transceiver sends regarding the antenna impedance
        could be very useful for antenna trimming. The retrieval and display
        (Smith chart or otherwise) should be included in the final product.

        Dave
      • w3frg01
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8 6:12 PM
          Dave and all,

          I hope that you can get the help needed from Doug and Dan. Certainly
          the best and most knowledgable on the 505.

          The only comment I have is with regard to the Smith Chart. The plot
          will be basically useless unless a reference plane can be identified.
          Seeing the plot is one thing, but where is it with respect to the
          load / source.

          Great going, you have really come a long way in a very short time.

          Tom (frg)