Re: [linuxham] rigCat.xml files

  • Alan Corey
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2011
      If you're using Linux (or BSD) look through the hamlib stuff. rigctl
      is a little demo program that might be close to what you want, or you
      can make a modified version.

      The problem I have with it is having the program send a command and
      listen to the response at the same time. You might want to set up an
      interrupt routine that gets called when there's an incoming byte and
      stuffs it somewhere for later.

      You don't mention what radio. My IC-7000 requires a preamble byte,
      then an address byte, then a command number (byte), possibly a
      subcommand byte, then there's a data area, followed by an end of
      message code. It's not a simple "MODE USB" type thing, but it's
      versatile. Hamlib probably won't know all the commands for your
      particular radio. The list for the IC-7000 is 4 pages, 2 columns.
      Hamlib tries to simplify this to commands that apply to all radios, at
      the expense of leaving stuff out There are commands for set_mode,
      set_freq, set_ctcss_tone, etc. It seems to leave out accessing the
      memories.

      Alan AB1JX

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2011
        Steve Sykes wrote:
        Dave,

        Does that mean that a command file can not be made for a radio using ascii strings?

        Steve

        Your ASCII string concept would be very nice Steve, but unfortunately there are no radios that have such simple CAT string commands.

        Dave
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2011
          Alan,

          I have used teraterm or procomm to do as you suggest, send a command, wait for a response, send another, etc. It would really be nice to have it integrated with a communication program, my preference is fldigi.
          The radio is an RF-5000 system, a tactical radio built by Harris. They are becoming more and more available on the surplus market. As in my example, if you send a <CR> it answers SSB><CR><LF>, send MODE<CR> it answers
          MODE USB<CR><LF>
          BAND 3.0<CR><LF>

          Every command is like that, frequency must include the leading 0.

          I have looked into the rigctl programs, but have not been able to really figure it out yet. I figure if I can get one word to work then the rest should be easy...

          73
          Steve KD2OM

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2011
            Steve wrote:
            > Alan,
            >
            > I have used teraterm or procomm to do as you suggest, send a command, wait for a response, send another, etc. It would really be nice to have it integrated with a communication program, my preference is fldigi.
            > The radio is an RF-5000 system, a tactical radio built by Harris. They are becoming more and more available on the surplus market. As in my example, if you send a <CR> it answers SSB><CR><LF>, send MODE<CR> it answers
            > MODE USB<CR><LF>
            > BAND 3.0<CR><LF>
            > SSB>
            >
            > Every command is like that, frequency must include the leading 0.
            >
            > I have looked into the rigctl programs, but have not been able to really figure it out yet. I figure if I can get one word to work then the rest should be easy...
            >
            > 73
            > Steve KD2OM

            Do you have a pdf file that describes the full set of CAT commands and

            Dave, W1HKJ