Re: [linuxham] Re: fldigi with TT Argo V

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
      w1hkj wrote:
      > I looked again at the TENTEC516.xml file John. Assuming that your
      > USB/serial device is on ttyUSB0 the entries in the rig.xml file relating
      > to the port should be:
      >
      > <PORT>
      > <BAUD>1200</BAUD>
      > <DEVICE>/dev/ttyUSB0</DEVICE>
      > <ECHO>false</ECHO>
      > <RETRIES>4</RETRIES>
      > <TIMEOUT>200</TIMEOUT>
      > <WAIT>50</WAIT>
      > <DTRINIT>-12</DTRINIT>
      > <DTRPTT>false</DTRPTT>
      > <RTSINIT>-12</RTSINIT>
      > <RTSPTT>false</RTSPTT>
      > <RTSCTS>false</RTSCTS>
      > </PORT>
      >
      > The <ECHO> was set to true. I don't have an ArgoV here anymore and
      > cannot remember if the serial port echo'd all of the data or not. The
      > Argonaut V Programmers Reference Guide does not say that it does.
      >
      > Dave, W1HKJ

      To add to Dave's advice....watch upper/lower case for the usb.....

      /dev/ttyUSBx....x either being 1 or 0 ....I would set echo to true and
      double check that the baud rate is right. The xml files just work,
      hopefully you just have a parameter set wrong...GL

      Ed W3NR
    • lakeinter
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
        Thanks Dave and Ed.

        I tried the setup with the "real" com port last night and was
        successful. Hamlib appears to work fine, which opens the door to some
        other neat Linux applications. I ran out of time on the USB debugging,
        so I will tackle that tonight.

        As a side issue, is there a way to use the USB/serial converters with
        Pskscope under Linux? It appears to want to talk via ttySx only and I
        don't see anything in the .ini file that might help.

        73 and thanks again for the great help!

        John W4JKL
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
          lakeinter wrote:
          > Thanks Dave and Ed.
          >
          > I tried the setup with the "real" com port last night and was
          > successful. Hamlib appears to work fine, which opens the door to some
          > other neat Linux applications. I ran out of time on the USB debugging,
          > so I will tackle that tonight.

          I use a USB/Serial converter from Wal-mart...about $25 USD also picked
          up a 4 port hub for about $9 USD. Both work fine with Linux. No drivers
          or configuration needed.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
            lakeinter wrote:
            > Thanks Dave and Ed.
            >
            > I tried the setup with the "real" com port last night and was
            > successful. Hamlib appears to work fine, which opens the door to some
            > other neat Linux applications. I ran out of time on the USB debugging,
            > so I will tackle that tonight.
            >
            > As a side issue, is there a way to use the USB/serial converters with
            > Pskscope under Linux? It appears to want to talk via ttySx only and I
            > don't see anything in the .ini file that might help.

            Requires some code changes John. I have Pskscope open for other work so
            I will put that on the list of to-do's.

            Glad that you got your ArgoV working FB with hamlib. Let me know if you
            get the rig.xml version going. I would like to be able to make any
            updates to the TENTEC516.xml file that are necessary and change it's
            status from alpha to verified.

            Dave, W1HKJ
          • lakeinter
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
              Over the weekend I postponed the USB experiments and downloaded the
              latest digipup iso from Dave's site and burned a CD with CDburnerXP on
              the Windows machine, then booted it on the old 500MHz box with three
              serial com ports and had great success. Everything on the digipup
              distro works! RigCAT works FB (had an RTFM problem there) as well as
              hamlib with the ArgoV. The only thing that I'm still not able to use is
              the PTT with RigCAT and hamlib - I must use the tty interface. Dave or
              Ed, could you elaborate on how PTT works via RigCAT or hamlib? The
              logging works FB, even the QRZ program. I now have a fully functioning
              ham radio computer using Linux! Oh, one thing Dave, I can't find the
              executable for the ArgoV CAT program in the tgz file. Am I missing it
              somewhere? I would like to add it to the collection as it has more
              features than the hamlib interface.
              73,
              John W4JKL
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
                lakeinter wrote:
                > Over the weekend I postponed the USB experiments and downloaded the
                > latest digipup iso from Dave's site and burned a CD with CDburnerXP on
                > the Windows machine, then booted it on the old 500MHz box with three
                > serial com ports and had great success. Everything on the digipup
                > distro works! RigCAT works FB (had an RTFM problem there) as well as
                > hamlib with the ArgoV. The only thing that I'm still not able to use is
                > the PTT with RigCAT and hamlib - I must use the tty interface. Dave or
                > Ed, could you elaborate on how PTT works via RigCAT or hamlib? The
                > logging works FB, even the QRZ program. I now have a fully functioning
                > ham radio computer using Linux! Oh, one thing Dave, I can't find the
                > executable for the ArgoV CAT program in the tgz file. Am I missing it
                > somewhere? I would like to add it to the collection as it has more
                > features than the hamlib interface.
                > 73,
                > John W4JKL

                Welcome to the world of Linux....good to see that you are up and
                running... the 500 mhz machine should work well with fldigi and
                especially with pup. As far as the ptt goes, the setup that you are
                using now will work with hamlib. Hamlib does not usually support ptt via
                rig control and especially TT rigs. I'll let Dave comment on the xml.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 26, 2007
                  lakeinter wrote:
                  > Over the weekend I postponed the USB experiments and downloaded the
                  > latest digipup iso from Dave's site and burned a CD with CDburnerXP on
                  > the Windows machine, then booted it on the old 500MHz box with three
                  > serial com ports and had great success. Everything on the digipup
                  > distro works! RigCAT works FB (had an RTFM problem there) as well as
                  > hamlib with the ArgoV. The only thing that I'm still not able to use is
                  > the PTT with RigCAT and hamlib - I must use the tty interface. Dave or
                  > Ed, could you elaborate on how PTT works via RigCAT or hamlib? The
                  > logging works FB, even the QRZ program. I now have a fully functioning
                  > ham radio computer using Linux! Oh, one thing Dave, I can't find the
                  > executable for the ArgoV CAT program in the tgz file. Am I missing it
                  > somewhere? I would like to add it to the collection as it has more
                  > features than the hamlib interface.
                  > 73,
                  > John W4JKL

                  Sorry to be so long in replying John.

                  I've recompiled the ArgoV application and left the ArgoV executable in
                  the source code directory. It should work OK on Puppy as well as most
                  Linux distros. The code is hardwired to expect to find the Argonaut on
                  ttyS0 (COM1). You can change that in the source code file support.cpp
                  and then recompile if that is not satisfactory.

                  The link on the web site to the tgz file is now current.

                  It should work just fine with fldigi and MemMap'd CAT.

                  Let me know what results you have.

                  73, Dave, w1hkj