Kachina CAT 0.945b posted

  • David Freese
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 12:51 PM
      Code cleanup in the function that executes on initial program startup.
      AGC levels at startup should now be the same as when program was last
      used.

      Note that you have to select the check box under Menu "Config/Save on
      exit" for the program to bypass the request for serial device dialog
      when the proram starts up. This will also save all of the color and
      antenna port / frequency band settings that you have configured. This
      will create a file called "kachina.ini" in the directory in the
      default directory. ($HOME/.kachina on Linux; directory where
      executable is located on Windows).

      The state of the program (file called kachina.sta) will always be
      saved in the default directory.

      The menu item "Files/Save" and "Files/Open" will save and load the
      Frequency/Mode pairs in the browser box to the right of the main
      frequency display.

      Dave (hkj)
    • w3frg01
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8 5:10 PM
        Dave,

        This (Windows)version is working better than ever.
        Your two steps ahead of my thoughts on items that you incorporate.
        Your pgm has a lot of advantages and ease of use over the original
        505.exe pgm.

        Looking fwd to the freq cal, if it's on the list of things to do, hi.
        There isn't much after that, or is there ?

        Tom (frg)

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8 5:41 PM
          w3frg01 wrote:

          >Dave,
          >
          >This (Windows)version is working better than ever.
          >Your two steps ahead of my thoughts on items that you incorporate.
          >Your pgm has a lot of advantages and ease of use over the original
          >505.exe pgm.

          Thanks! I'm glad to receive good news on the latest revisions.

          >Looking fwd to the freq cal, if it's on the list of things to do, hi.
          >There isn't much after that, or is there ?

          Oh yes, many things on the agenda, time permitting. The first thing I
          want to be able to do is read all of the NRAM data and save it to a
          disk file for future uploading back to the transceiver. I think there
          is enough information in the programming specification file, but I want
          to verify the safeness of various commands. I'm hoping that either Doug
          Smith or Dan Kimball will assist me on that front. You know of Doug,
          QEX editor. Dan is listed as one of the Kachina technicians who still
          does repairs on the rigs. I sent him an email request (got a read
          receipt) and am waiting for a reply.

          Frequency cal is of course on the list. But the specification sheet is
          not very helpful or illuminating.

          The data that the transceiver sends regarding the antenna impedance
          could be very useful for antenna trimming. The retrieval and display
          (Smith chart or otherwise) should be included in the final product.

          Dave
        • w3frg01
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8 6:12 PM
            Dave and all,

            I hope that you can get the help needed from Doug and Dan. Certainly
            the best and most knowledgable on the 505.

            The only comment I have is with regard to the Smith Chart. The plot
            will be basically useless unless a reference plane can be identified.
            Seeing the plot is one thing, but where is it with respect to the
            load / source.

            Great going, you have really come a long way in a very short time.

            Tom (frg)