Re: [linuxham] May QST

  • Per
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
      Hi,

      I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be a faulty download.
      Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
      so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

      73 de Per, sm0rwo

      P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and visible on findu or:
      http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers/index.php

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
        Thanks for the response. I'll try downloading from the dutch site. I
        did download both files twice or three times. I'm new to linux and am
        not familiar with md5. What is it and how do I use it?

        Jeff KE6GBE

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be
        a faulty download.
        > Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that
        got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
        > so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the
        iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

        > 73 de Per, sm0rwo
        >
        > P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and
        visible on findu or:
        > http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers/index.php

      • Per
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
          Hi Jeff,

          The US site should be fine. You can find the md5 here:
          http://www.mannindustries.net/pskmail/psklive_2007_2.iso.hash

          md5 is used to make sure the iso you have downloaded is not corrupt. The author uses md5 to create a checksum of the iso-file and when you download you can just check that the md5 of the downloaded copy matches the original. I use k3b when I burn cd's and it shows the md5 of the iso when I select it, I haven't tried windows software to burn but doesn't that too calculate and show md5 before u burn ?

          73 de Per, sm0rwo

          Thanks for the response. I'll try downloading from the dutch site. I
          did download both files twice or three times. I'm new to linux and am
          not familiar with md5. What is it and how do I use it?

          Jeff KE6GBE

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be
          a faulty download.
          > Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that
          got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
          > so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the
          iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

          > 73 de Per, sm0rwo
          >
          > P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and
          visible on findu or:
          > http://www.crusefal k.se/pskmailers/ index.php

          0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
          > #ygrp-actbar .left{
          > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
          > .bld{font-weight: bold;}
          > #ygrp-grft{
          > #ygrp-ft{
          > padding:5px 0;
          > }
          > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          > padding-bottom: 10px;}
          >
          > #ygrp-vital{
          > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

          font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
          > #ygrp-vital ul{
          > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
          > #ygrp-vital ul li{
          > }
          > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

          font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
          > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          > font-weight: bold;}
          > #ygrp-vital a {
          > text-decoration: none;}
          >
          > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          > text-decoration: underline; }
          >
          > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          > color:#999;font- size:77%; }
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          > padding:8px 0;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

          font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          > text-decoration: none;}
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          > text-decoration: underline; }
          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          > margin:0;}
          > o {font-size:0; }
          > .MsoNormal {
          > margin:0 0 0 0;}
          > #ygrp-text tt{
          > font-size:120% ;}
          > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
          > .replbq {margin:4;}
          > -->

          > http://farechase. yahoo.com/ promo-generic- 14795097

          Never miss an email again!
          Yahoo! Toolbar
        • jvanausda
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
            Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
            to check the checksum of the image? I've made some progress. I've
            gotten past the unable to mount loop filesystem error. Now, when the
            boot gets to loading HAL daemon the screen blanks and nothing more
            happens.

          • Rein Couperus
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
              > Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
              > to check the checksum of the image?

              grab a terminal and write:
              md5sum filename

              73, Rein PA0R

              --
              http://pa0r.blogspirit.com
            • Graham Campbell
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:46 +0200, Rein Couperus wrote:

                > > Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                > > to check the checksum of the image?
                >

                > grab a terminal and write:
                > md5sum filename
                >
                > 73, Rein PA0R

                Also try:
                apropos md5
                man md5sum

                --
                Graham Campbell
                AA2WR
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                  md5 help

                  http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html#md5gen

                  this might help.

                  Dave
                • Per
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Hi Jeff,

                    This looks like a nice application:
                    http://www.md5summer.org/
                    Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                    I still think you have to make sure your copy is ok b4 we start finding out what could be wrong.
                    The live cd could not possibly work on everything but it does work on a whole lot of hardware
                    so this could just be a faulty download.

                    73 de Per, sm0rwo

                    Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                    to check the checksum of the image? I've made some progress. I've
                    gotten past the unable to mount loop filesystem error. Now, when the
                    boot gets to loading HAL daemon the screen blanks and nothing more
                    happens.

                    Jeff KE6GBE

                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jeff,
                    >
                    > The US site should be fine. You can find the md5 here:
                    > http://www.mannindu stries.net/ pskmail/psklive_ 2007_2.iso. hash
                    >
                    > md5 is used to make sure the iso you have downloaded is not corrupt.
                    The author uses md5 to create a checksum of the iso-file and when you
                    download you can just check that the md5 of the downloaded copy
                    matches the original. I use k3b when I burn cd's and it shows the md5
                    of the iso when I select it, I haven't tried windows software to burn
                    but doesn't that too calculate and show md5 before u burn ?

                    > 73 de Per, sm0rwo

                    See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                  • Rick Kunath
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                      Per wrote:

                      > This looks like a nice application:
                      > http://www.md5summer.org/
                      > Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                      No need to run md5summer under Wine if you are already using Linux :)
                      although it works well in Windows.

                      Just open a console in the directory with the tarball or the iso file
                      and the .md5 file and do:

                      md5sum thefilename.iso or whatever the filename is.

                      That will generate the md5 sum of the file you downloaded. Compare this
                      generated sum to the one in the .md5 file (it's a text file) you
                      downloaded along with the iso and make sure they match.

                      If you are burning the iso in Linux using k3b, k3b will do the
                      comparison for you before initiating the burn if the .md5 file for the
                      iso is in the same directory as the iso.

                      So download the iso and it's matching md5 file from the site you get the
                      iso, and you'll be all set.

                      In the case of a BitTorrent download such as a Mandriva release, since
                      Mandriva includes the md5 file in the BT package, this will be done
                      automatically by your BT client for you.

                      Rick Kunath, k9ao
                    • Per
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                        Hi Rick,

                        You are absolutely right about that, I was just trying to help Jeff, KE6GBE, and I was under the impression that he uses windows so thats why I tried to show that md5summer could work for him. And you are right that k3b does all the hard work, I use it all the time. I don't know if any burning software for windows handles md5, I think it should but I have not used windows to burn cd's in years.
                        Thanks anyway !

                        73 de Per, sm0rwo

                        > Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                        No need to run md5summer under Wine if you are already using Linux :)
                        although it works well in Windows.

                        Just open a console in the directory with the tarball or the iso file
                        and the .md5 file and do:

                        md5sum thefilename. iso or whatever the filename is.

                        That will generate the md5 sum of the file you downloaded. Compare this
                        generated sum to the one in the .md5 file (it's a text file) you
                        downloaded along with the iso and make sure they match.

                        If you are burning the iso in Linux using k3b, k3b will do the
                        comparison for you before initiating the burn if the .md5 file for the
                        iso is in the same directory as the iso.

                        So download the iso and it's matching md5 file from the site you get the
                        iso, and you'll be all set.

                        In the case of a BitTorrent download such as a Mandriva release, since
                        Mandriva includes the md5 file in the BT package, this will be done
                        automatically by your BT client for you.

                        Rick Kunath, k9ao

                        Be a PS3 game guru.