Re: May QST

  • jvanausda
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007

      > Have you successfully booted from any other Linux Live-CD distribution
      > such as digipup (on the w1hkj.com web site) or Ubuntu Live-CD? Both of
      > these also mount a loop image during the boot process.
      >
      > Per might be able to be specific in answering your question. In the
      > meantime you might try entering the following when the "boot"
      command is
      > shown.
      >
      > *safeboot
      >
      > *73, Dave, W1HKJ

      Yes, I've been able to boot using digipup. I'm downloading ubuntu now
      to try it. BTW, is there one flavor that is better for ham
      applications? Also, is there a list of ham apps somewhere that I can
      access?

      Jeff KE6GBE
    • Bob Nielsen
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
        On Apr 3, 2007, at 9:14 PM, jvanausda wrote:

        > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Have you successfully booted from any other Linux Live-CD
        >> distribution
        >> such as digipup (on the w1hkj.com web site) or Ubuntu Live-CD?
        >> Both of
        >> these also mount a loop image during the boot process.
        >>
        >> Per might be able to be specific in answering your question. In the
        >> meantime you might try entering the following when the "boot"
        > command is
        >> shown.
        >>
        >> *safeboot
        >>
        >> *73, Dave, W1HKJ
        >>

        > Yes, I've been able to boot using digipup. I'm downloading ubuntu now
        > to try it. BTW, is there one flavor that is better for ham
        > applications? Also, is there a list of ham apps somewhere that I can
        > access?

        The distributions based on Debian (including Ubuntu) currently seem
        to have the most ham applications (several Debian developers are
        hams). With Ubuntu you should enable the "universe" part of the
        repository (uncomment the appropriate line in /etc/apt/
        sources.list). The list at <http://radio.linux.org.au> is pretty
        complete.

        Bob, N7XY
      • Per
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hi,

          I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be a faulty download.
          Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
          so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

          73 de Per, sm0rwo

          P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and visible on findu or:
          http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers/index.php

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
            Thanks for the response. I'll try downloading from the dutch site. I
            did download both files twice or three times. I'm new to linux and am
            not familiar with md5. What is it and how do I use it?

            Jeff KE6GBE

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be
            a faulty download.
            > Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that
            got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
            > so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the
            iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

            > 73 de Per, sm0rwo
            >
            > P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and
            visible on findu or:
            > http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers/index.php

          • Per
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
              Hi Jeff,

              The US site should be fine. You can find the md5 here:
              http://www.mannindustries.net/pskmail/psklive_2007_2.iso.hash

              md5 is used to make sure the iso you have downloaded is not corrupt. The author uses md5 to create a checksum of the iso-file and when you download you can just check that the md5 of the downloaded copy matches the original. I use k3b when I burn cd's and it shows the md5 of the iso when I select it, I haven't tried windows software to burn but doesn't that too calculate and show md5 before u burn ?

              73 de Per, sm0rwo

              Thanks for the response. I'll try downloading from the dutch site. I
              did download both files twice or three times. I'm new to linux and am
              not familiar with md5. What is it and how do I use it?

              Jeff KE6GBE

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be
              a faulty download.
              > Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that
              got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
              > so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the
              iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

              > 73 de Per, sm0rwo
              >
              > P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and
              visible on findu or:
              > http://www.crusefal k.se/pskmailers/ index.php

              0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
              > #ygrp-actbar .left{
              > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
              > .bld{font-weight: bold;}
              > #ygrp-grft{
              > #ygrp-ft{
              > padding:5px 0;
              > }
              > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              > padding-bottom: 10px;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital{
              > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

              font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
              > #ygrp-vital ul{
              > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li{
              > }
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

              font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight: bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a {
              > text-decoration: none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              > text-decoration: underline; }
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font- size:77%; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

              font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration: none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration: underline; }
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              > margin:0;}
              > o {font-size:0; }
              > .MsoNormal {
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{
              > font-size:120% ;}
              > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq {margin:4;}
              > -->

              > http://farechase. yahoo.com/ promo-generic- 14795097

              Never miss an email again!
              Yahoo! Toolbar
            • jvanausda
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                to check the checksum of the image? I've made some progress. I've
                gotten past the unable to mount loop filesystem error. Now, when the
                boot gets to loading HAL daemon the screen blanks and nothing more
                happens.

              • Rein Couperus
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                  > Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                  > to check the checksum of the image?

                  grab a terminal and write:
                  md5sum filename

                  73, Rein PA0R

                  --
                  http://pa0r.blogspirit.com
                • Graham Campbell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                    On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:46 +0200, Rein Couperus wrote:

                    > > Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                    > > to check the checksum of the image?
                    >

                    > grab a terminal and write:
                    > md5sum filename
                    >
                    > 73, Rein PA0R

                    Also try:
                    apropos md5
                    man md5sum

                    --
                    Graham Campbell
                    AA2WR
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                      md5 help

                      http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html#md5gen

                      this might help.

                      Dave
                    • Per
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Hi Jeff,

                        This looks like a nice application:
                        http://www.md5summer.org/
                        Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                        I still think you have to make sure your copy is ok b4 we start finding out what could be wrong.
                        The live cd could not possibly work on everything but it does work on a whole lot of hardware
                        so this could just be a faulty download.

                        73 de Per, sm0rwo

                        Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                        to check the checksum of the image? I've made some progress. I've
                        gotten past the unable to mount loop filesystem error. Now, when the
                        boot gets to loading HAL daemon the screen blanks and nothing more
                        happens.

                        Jeff KE6GBE

                        --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jeff,
                        >
                        > The US site should be fine. You can find the md5 here:
                        > http://www.mannindu stries.net/ pskmail/psklive_ 2007_2.iso. hash
                        >
                        > md5 is used to make sure the iso you have downloaded is not corrupt.
                        The author uses md5 to create a checksum of the iso-file and when you
                        download you can just check that the md5 of the downloaded copy
                        matches the original. I use k3b when I burn cd's and it shows the md5
                        of the iso when I select it, I haven't tried windows software to burn
                        but doesn't that too calculate and show md5 before u burn ?

                        > 73 de Per, sm0rwo

                        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                      • Rick Kunath
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                          Per wrote:

                          > This looks like a nice application:
                          > http://www.md5summer.org/
                          > Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                          No need to run md5summer under Wine if you are already using Linux :)
                          although it works well in Windows.

                          Just open a console in the directory with the tarball or the iso file
                          and the .md5 file and do:

                          md5sum thefilename.iso or whatever the filename is.

                          That will generate the md5 sum of the file you downloaded. Compare this
                          generated sum to the one in the .md5 file (it's a text file) you
                          downloaded along with the iso and make sure they match.

                          If you are burning the iso in Linux using k3b, k3b will do the
                          comparison for you before initiating the burn if the .md5 file for the
                          iso is in the same directory as the iso.

                          So download the iso and it's matching md5 file from the site you get the
                          iso, and you'll be all set.

                          In the case of a BitTorrent download such as a Mandriva release, since
                          Mandriva includes the md5 file in the BT package, this will be done
                          automatically by your BT client for you.

                          Rick Kunath, k9ao
                        • Per
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                            Hi Rick,

                            You are absolutely right about that, I was just trying to help Jeff, KE6GBE, and I was under the impression that he uses windows so thats why I tried to show that md5summer could work for him. And you are right that k3b does all the hard work, I use it all the time. I don't know if any burning software for windows handles md5, I think it should but I have not used windows to burn cd's in years.
                            Thanks anyway !

                            73 de Per, sm0rwo

                            > Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                            No need to run md5summer under Wine if you are already using Linux :)
                            although it works well in Windows.

                            Just open a console in the directory with the tarball or the iso file
                            and the .md5 file and do:

                            md5sum thefilename. iso or whatever the filename is.

                            That will generate the md5 sum of the file you downloaded. Compare this
                            generated sum to the one in the .md5 file (it's a text file) you
                            downloaded along with the iso and make sure they match.

                            If you are burning the iso in Linux using k3b, k3b will do the
                            comparison for you before initiating the burn if the .md5 file for the
                            iso is in the same directory as the iso.

                            So download the iso and it's matching md5 file from the site you get the
                            iso, and you'll be all set.

                            In the case of a BitTorrent download such as a Mandriva release, since
                            Mandriva includes the md5 file in the BT package, this will be done
                            automatically by your BT client for you.

                            Rick Kunath, k9ao

                            Be a PS3 game guru.