Re: [linuxham] Bootable USB Drive

  • kv9u
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2 7:37 PM
      A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
      Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
      linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
      and some through GNU/Linux OS.

      If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.

      73,

      Rick, KV9U

      Walt DuBose wrote:
      > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
      >
      > Walt/K5YFW

    • Jose A. Amador
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2 11:34 PM
        Walt DuBose wrote:
        > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB
        > drive?
        >
        > Walt/K5YFW

        I think that both Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux can be loaded to boot
        from a flash drive. Both are "small", less than 100 MB.

        But I have never done that personally....

        73,

        Jose, CO2JA

        V Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética.
        22 al 25 de mayo de 2007
        Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
        http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/cier

        Participe en Universidad 2008.
        11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
        Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
        http://www.universidad2008.cu
      • romers romansky
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3 7:19 AM
          Walt, thanks for your response...

          The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
          works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
          compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
          be sure!).

          I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
          to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
          or not.

          If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
          recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
          remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
          installed?

          Best,
          Jerome - va7vv

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3 9:35 AM
            romers romansky wrote:
            > Walt, thanks for your response...
            >
            > The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
            > works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
            > compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
            > be sure!).
            >
            > I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
            > to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
            > or not.
            >
            > If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
            > recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
            > remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
            > installed?
            >
            > Best,
            > Jerome - va7vv

            Jerome, I think the correect way is as root:

            make uninstall

            then recompile fltk with the correct switches.

            Ed W3NR
          • Walt DuBose
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 6:29 PM
              kv9u wrote:
              > A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
              > Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
              > linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
              > and some through GNU/Linux OS.
              >
              > If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Rick, KV9U
              >

              > Walt DuBose wrote:
              >
              >>Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
              >>
              >>Walt/K5YFW

              Thanks Rick.

              Walt/K5YFW