Re: [linuxham] May QST

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 6:13 PM
      jvanausda wrote:
      Hi, I was referred to this group by Steve Ford at QST. I received the
      following error message when attempting to load psklive from the
      imaged mandriva cd that he referenced in his April column:

           Mounting loop image on /initrd/loopfs: mount: Mounting /dev/loop0
      on initrd/loopfs failed:
      Invalid argument

      ERROR: Unable to mount loop filesystem,
           Commands were:
           losetup /dev/loop0 initrd/cdrom/livecd.sqfs
           mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop0 initrd/loopfs

                Dropped you to a limited shell.

      Have you successfully booted from any other Linux Live-CD distribution such as digipup (on the w1hkj.com web site) or Ubuntu Live-CD?  Both of these also mount a loop image during the boot process.

      Per might be able to be specific in answering your question.  In the meantime you might try entering the following when the "boot" command is shown.

      safeboot

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
    • jvanausda
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3 9:14 PM

        > Have you successfully booted from any other Linux Live-CD distribution
        > such as digipup (on the w1hkj.com web site) or Ubuntu Live-CD? Both of
        > these also mount a loop image during the boot process.
        >
        > Per might be able to be specific in answering your question. In the
        > meantime you might try entering the following when the "boot"
        command is
        > shown.
        >
        > *safeboot
        >
        > *73, Dave, W1HKJ

        Yes, I've been able to boot using digipup. I'm downloading ubuntu now
        to try it. BTW, is there one flavor that is better for ham
        applications? Also, is there a list of ham apps somewhere that I can
        access?

        Jeff KE6GBE
      • Bob Nielsen
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3 9:27 PM
          On Apr 3, 2007, at 9:14 PM, jvanausda wrote:

          > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Have you successfully booted from any other Linux Live-CD
          >> distribution
          >> such as digipup (on the w1hkj.com web site) or Ubuntu Live-CD?
          >> Both of
          >> these also mount a loop image during the boot process.
          >>
          >> Per might be able to be specific in answering your question. In the
          >> meantime you might try entering the following when the "boot"
          > command is
          >> shown.
          >>
          >> *safeboot
          >>
          >> *73, Dave, W1HKJ
          >>

          > Yes, I've been able to boot using digipup. I'm downloading ubuntu now
          > to try it. BTW, is there one flavor that is better for ham
          > applications? Also, is there a list of ham apps somewhere that I can
          > access?

          The distributions based on Debian (including Ubuntu) currently seem
          to have the most ham applications (several Debian developers are
          hams). With Ubuntu you should enable the "universe" part of the
          repository (uncomment the appropriate line in /etc/apt/
          sources.list). The list at <http://radio.linux.org.au> is pretty
          complete.

          Bob, N7XY
        • Per
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3 10:59 PM
            Hi,

            I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be a faulty download.
            Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
            so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

            73 de Per, sm0rwo

            P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and visible on findu or:
            http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers/index.php

            Hi, I was referred to this group by Steve Ford at QST. I received the
            following error message when attempting to load psklive from the
            imaged mandriva cd that he referenced in his April column:

            Mounting loop image on /initrd/loopfs: mount: Mounting /dev/loop0
            on initrd/loopfs failed:
            Invalid argument

            ERROR: Unable to mount loop filesystem,
            Commands were:
            losetup /dev/loop0 initrd/cdrom/ livecd.sqfs
            mount -r -t squashfs /dev/loop0 initrd/loopfs

            Dropped you to a limited shell.

            I got the same error for both psklive_2007_ 1.iso and psklive_2007_ 2.iso.

            My system info is:

            HP Pavilion dv9035nr
            Intel T5500
            2 GB ram
            Windows XP Media Center
            NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600

            Any Help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

            Jeff KE6GBE

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • jvanausda
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3 11:06 PM
              Thanks for the response. I'll try downloading from the dutch site. I
              did download both files twice or three times. I'm new to linux and am
              not familiar with md5. What is it and how do I use it?

              Jeff KE6GBE

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be
              a faulty download.
              > Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that
              got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
              > so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the
              iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

              > 73 de Per, sm0rwo
              >
              > P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and
              visible on findu or:
              > http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers/index.php

            • Per
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4 2:21 AM
                Hi Jeff,

                The US site should be fine. You can find the md5 here:
                http://www.mannindustries.net/pskmail/psklive_2007_2.iso.hash

                md5 is used to make sure the iso you have downloaded is not corrupt. The author uses md5 to create a checksum of the iso-file and when you download you can just check that the md5 of the downloaded copy matches the original. I use k3b when I burn cd's and it shows the md5 of the iso when I select it, I haven't tried windows software to burn but doesn't that too calculate and show md5 before u burn ?

                73 de Per, sm0rwo

                Thanks for the response. I'll try downloading from the dutch site. I
                did download both files twice or three times. I'm new to linux and am
                not familiar with md5. What is it and how do I use it?

                Jeff KE6GBE

                --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have seen a similar questions before and then it turned out to be
                a faulty download.
                > Did you check your download using the md5 ? We even had one ham that
                got a working iso from the dutch mirror only
                > so pse use md5 to check that download. I just want to make sure the
                iso is ok b4 we start some serious debugging :-)

                > 73 de Per, sm0rwo
                >
                > P.s. Away on skiing vacation, sending aprs pos through pskmail and
                visible on findu or:
                > http://www.crusefal k.se/pskmailers/ index.php

                0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
                > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
                > .bld{font-weight: bold;}
                > #ygrp-grft{
                > #ygrp-ft{
                > padding:5px 0;
                > }
                > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                > padding-bottom: 10px;}
                >
                > #ygrp-vital{
                > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

                font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
                > #ygrp-vital ul{
                > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
                > #ygrp-vital ul li{
                > }
                > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

                font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
                > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                > font-weight: bold;}
                > #ygrp-vital a {
                > text-decoration: none;}
                >
                > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                > text-decoration: underline; }
                >
                > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                > color:#999;font- size:77%; }
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                > padding:8px 0;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

                font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                > text-decoration: none;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                > text-decoration: underline; }
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                > margin:0;}
                > o {font-size:0; }
                > .MsoNormal {
                > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                > #ygrp-text tt{
                > font-size:120% ;}
                > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
                > .replbq {margin:4;}
                > -->

                > http://farechase. yahoo.com/ promo-generic- 14795097

                Never miss an email again!
                Yahoo! Toolbar
              • jvanausda
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5 12:26 AM
                  Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                  to check the checksum of the image? I've made some progress. I've
                  gotten past the unable to mount loop filesystem error. Now, when the
                  boot gets to loading HAL daemon the screen blanks and nothing more
                  happens.

                • Rein Couperus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5 12:46 AM
                    > Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                    > to check the checksum of the image?

                    grab a terminal and write:
                    md5sum filename

                    73, Rein PA0R

                    --
                    http://pa0r.blogspirit.com
                  • Graham Campbell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5 5:04 AM
                      On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:46 +0200, Rein Couperus wrote:

                      > > Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                      > > to check the checksum of the image?
                      >

                      > grab a terminal and write:
                      > md5sum filename
                      >
                      > 73, Rein PA0R

                      Also try:
                      apropos md5
                      man md5sum

                      --
                      Graham Campbell
                      AA2WR
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 5 7:39 AM
                        md5 help

                        http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html#md5gen

                        this might help.

                        Dave
                      • Per
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5 9:59 PM
                          Hi Jeff,

                          This looks like a nice application:
                          http://www.md5summer.org/
                          Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                          I still think you have to make sure your copy is ok b4 we start finding out what could be wrong.
                          The live cd could not possibly work on everything but it does work on a whole lot of hardware
                          so this could just be a faulty download.

                          73 de Per, sm0rwo

                          Ok, I see the checksum at the site you gave me, but how do I use md5
                          to check the checksum of the image? I've made some progress. I've
                          gotten past the unable to mount loop filesystem error. Now, when the
                          boot gets to loading HAL daemon the screen blanks and nothing more
                          happens.

                          Jeff KE6GBE

                          --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Per <n59o18@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Jeff,
                          >
                          > The US site should be fine. You can find the md5 here:
                          > http://www.mannindu stries.net/ pskmail/psklive_ 2007_2.iso. hash
                          >
                          > md5 is used to make sure the iso you have downloaded is not corrupt.
                          The author uses md5 to create a checksum of the iso-file and when you
                          download you can just check that the md5 of the downloaded copy
                          matches the original. I use k3b when I burn cd's and it shows the md5
                          of the iso when I select it, I haven't tried windows software to burn
                          but doesn't that too calculate and show md5 before u burn ?

                          > 73 de Per, sm0rwo

                          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                        • Rick Kunath
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6 4:24 AM
                            Per wrote:

                            > This looks like a nice application:
                            > http://www.md5summer.org/
                            > Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                            No need to run md5summer under Wine if you are already using Linux :)
                            although it works well in Windows.

                            Just open a console in the directory with the tarball or the iso file
                            and the .md5 file and do:

                            md5sum thefilename.iso or whatever the filename is.

                            That will generate the md5 sum of the file you downloaded. Compare this
                            generated sum to the one in the .md5 file (it's a text file) you
                            downloaded along with the iso and make sure they match.

                            If you are burning the iso in Linux using k3b, k3b will do the
                            comparison for you before initiating the burn if the .md5 file for the
                            iso is in the same directory as the iso.

                            So download the iso and it's matching md5 file from the site you get the
                            iso, and you'll be all set.

                            In the case of a BitTorrent download such as a Mandriva release, since
                            Mandriva includes the md5 file in the BT package, this will be done
                            automatically by your BT client for you.

                            Rick Kunath, k9ao
                          • Per
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6 5:38 AM
                              Hi Rick,

                              You are absolutely right about that, I was just trying to help Jeff, KE6GBE, and I was under the impression that he uses windows so thats why I tried to show that md5summer could work for him. And you are right that k3b does all the hard work, I use it all the time. I don't know if any burning software for windows handles md5, I think it should but I have not used windows to burn cd's in years.
                              Thanks anyway !

                              73 de Per, sm0rwo

                              > Its a windows application but it runs fine on Mandriva using wine.

                              No need to run md5summer under Wine if you are already using Linux :)
                              although it works well in Windows.

                              Just open a console in the directory with the tarball or the iso file
                              and the .md5 file and do:

                              md5sum thefilename. iso or whatever the filename is.

                              That will generate the md5 sum of the file you downloaded. Compare this
                              generated sum to the one in the .md5 file (it's a text file) you
                              downloaded along with the iso and make sure they match.

                              If you are burning the iso in Linux using k3b, k3b will do the
                              comparison for you before initiating the burn if the .md5 file for the
                              iso is in the same directory as the iso.

                              So download the iso and it's matching md5 file from the site you get the
                              iso, and you'll be all set.

                              In the case of a BitTorrent download such as a Mandriva release, since
                              Mandriva includes the md5 file in the BT package, this will be done
                              automatically by your BT client for you.

                              Rick Kunath, k9ao

                              Be a PS3 game guru.