Bootable USB Drive

  • Walt DuBose
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
      Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?

      Walt/K5YFW
    • kv9u
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
        A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
        Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
        linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
        and some through GNU/Linux OS.

        If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.

        73,

        Rick, KV9U

        Walt DuBose wrote:
        > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
        >
        > Walt/K5YFW

      • Jose A. Amador
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
          Walt DuBose wrote:
          > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB
          > drive?
          >
          > Walt/K5YFW

          I think that both Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux can be loaded to boot
          from a flash drive. Both are "small", less than 100 MB.

          But I have never done that personally....

          73,

          Jose, CO2JA

          V Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética.
          22 al 25 de mayo de 2007
          Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
          http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/cier

          Participe en Universidad 2008.
          11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
          Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
          http://www.universidad2008.cu
        • romers romansky
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
            Walt, thanks for your response...

            The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
            works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
            compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
            be sure!).

            I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
            to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
            or not.

            If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
            recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
            remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
            installed?

            Best,
            Jerome - va7vv

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
              romers romansky wrote:
              > Walt, thanks for your response...
              >
              > The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
              > works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
              > compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
              > be sure!).
              >
              > I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
              > to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
              > or not.
              >
              > If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
              > recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
              > remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
              > installed?
              >
              > Best,
              > Jerome - va7vv

              Jerome, I think the correect way is as root:

              make uninstall

              then recompile fltk with the correct switches.

              Ed W3NR
            • Walt DuBose
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                kv9u wrote:
                > A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
                > Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
                > linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
                > and some through GNU/Linux OS.
                >
                > If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Rick, KV9U
                >

                > Walt DuBose wrote:
                >
                >>Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
                >>
                >>Walt/K5YFW

                Thanks Rick.

                Walt/K5YFW