Re: [linuxham] new user needs your advice...

  • Walt DuBose
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
      Jerome,

      I don't know that the precompiles\d Fldigi would work under Suse 10.0 but its
      worth a try...and even if it doesn/t try compiling it.

      If you want to try out Fldigi, download the FlPuppy Live CD and burn the ISO to
      a CD and run it from there. That works GREAT.

      I acutally sometimes run FLdigi from the live CD rather than the binary...I
      don't know why...it just seems more fun.

      The other program I recommend is gMFSK if you need to run MT63.

      Hope to hear you on. I'm having antenna problems lately which I can't figure
      out so am off 75M transmit right now.

      73,

      Walt/K5YFW

      jerome wrote:
      > Hi -- Jerome - VA7VV here. Just joined the group as I was looking for
      > a Linux psk31 programme. I was/am using mix2xx under XP, but would
      > dearly like to shed completely my relationship with Bill. I've
      > been able to do it with everything except my ham radio stuff.
      >
      > I'm running SuSe-10.0 on a dual boot pIII-450 in the hamshack. The rig
      > is a 756-pro3, and the interface is VOX -- all of which works fine
      > with windoze psk programmes.
      >
      > Here's my question(s)... Should I compile from source or use
      > a precompiled binary to start off with (I'd just like to get
      > fldigi running and get the feel of it)?
      >
      > I don't envision using rig control software. If a precompiled binary
      > is likely to work, should it have hamlib support or not? You can see
      > that I don't at this stage appreciate what the difference in
      > capablility would be between these two options after reading the help
      > files.
      >
      > For a quick and dirty trial... what best to do?
      >
      > Best,
      > jerome - va7vv

    • Walt DuBose
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
        Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?

        Walt/K5YFW
      • kv9u
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
          A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
          Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
          linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
          and some through GNU/Linux OS.

          If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.

          73,

          Rick, KV9U

          Walt DuBose wrote:
          > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
          >
          > Walt/K5YFW

        • Jose A. Amador
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
            Walt DuBose wrote:
            > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB
            > drive?
            >
            > Walt/K5YFW

            I think that both Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux can be loaded to boot
            from a flash drive. Both are "small", less than 100 MB.

            But I have never done that personally....

            73,

            Jose, CO2JA

            V Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética.
            22 al 25 de mayo de 2007
            Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
            http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/cier

            Participe en Universidad 2008.
            11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
            Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
            http://www.universidad2008.cu
          • romers romansky
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
              Walt, thanks for your response...

              The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
              works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
              compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
              be sure!).

              I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
              to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
              or not.

              If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
              recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
              remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
              installed?

              Best,
              Jerome - va7vv

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                romers romansky wrote:
                > Walt, thanks for your response...
                >
                > The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
                > works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
                > compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
                > be sure!).
                >
                > I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
                > to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
                > or not.
                >
                > If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
                > recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
                > remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
                > installed?
                >
                > Best,
                > Jerome - va7vv

                Jerome, I think the correect way is as root:

                make uninstall

                then recompile fltk with the correct switches.

                Ed W3NR
              • Walt DuBose
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                  kv9u wrote:
                  > A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
                  > Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
                  > linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
                  > and some through GNU/Linux OS.
                  >
                  > If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Rick, KV9U
                  >

                  > Walt DuBose wrote:
                  >
                  >>Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
                  >>
                  >>Walt/K5YFW

                  Thanks Rick.

                  Walt/K5YFW