new user needs your advice...

  • jerome
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi -- Jerome - VA7VV here. Just joined the group as I was looking for
      a Linux psk31 programme. I was/am using mix2xx under XP, but would
      dearly like to shed completely my relationship with Bill. I've
      been able to do it with everything except my ham radio stuff.

      I'm running SuSe-10.0 on a dual boot pIII-450 in the hamshack. The rig
      is a 756-pro3, and the interface is VOX -- all of which works fine
      with windoze psk programmes.

      Here's my question(s)... Should I compile from source or use
      a precompiled binary to start off with (I'd just like to get
      fldigi running and get the feel of it)?

      I don't envision using rig control software. If a precompiled binary
      is likely to work, should it have hamlib support or not? You can see
      that I don't at this stage appreciate what the difference in
      capablility would be between these two options after reading the help
      files.

      For a quick and dirty trial... what best to do?

      Best,
      jerome - va7vv
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
        jerome wrote:
        > Hi -- Jerome - VA7VV here. Just joined the group as I was looking for
        > a Linux psk31 programme. I was/am using mix2xx under XP, but would
        > dearly like to shed completely my relationship with Bill. I've
        > been able to do it with everything except my ham radio stuff.
        >
        > I'm running SuSe-10.0 on a dual boot pIII-450 in the hamshack. The rig
        > is a 756-pro3, and the interface is VOX -- all of which works fine
        > with windoze psk programmes.
        >
        > Here's my question(s)... Should I compile from source or use
        > a precompiled binary to start off with (I'd just like to get
        > fldigi running and get the feel of it)?
        >
        > I don't envision using rig control software. If a precompiled binary
        > is likely to work, should it have hamlib support or not? You can see
        > that I don't at this stage appreciate what the difference in
        > capablility would be between these two options after reading the help
        > files.
        >
        > For a quick and dirty trial... what best to do?
        >
        > Best,
        > jerome - va7vv

        Welcome Jerome,

        I would suggest using the binary, which should run just fine on Suse.
        The binary also supports hamlib as well as xml files for rig control.
        I'm not a fan of using vox for ptt, but the choice is yours. You will
        find that fldigi supports ptt via a serial port extremely well.So my
        best advice is to download and install the binary.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
          I see that Ed answered some of your question. The non-hamlib binary
          still supports RigCAT control of the transceiver. Look through the
          group message archives and you will info on using CI-V and how to build
          a simple CAT interface for your 756. There is also an xml file posted
          for the Icom-756PRO that has been tested and verified by a 756 owner.

          Dave, W1HKJ
        • jerome
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
            Thanks Ed and Dave!

            Everything compiled and installed first time, no problems;
            I could hardly believe it. It's slick, reallly slick! Just
            what I was looking for,very intuitive user interface. Dave, you de man!

            I saw the CI-V material ... it's on the top of my to-do list.

            Goodby windoze and goodby Bill!

            Thanks againg guys!
            jerome - va7vv

            > I see that Ed answered some of your question. The non-hamlib binary
            > still supports RigCAT control of the transceiver. Look through the
            > group message archives and you will info on using CI-V and how to build
            > a simple CAT interface for your 756. There is also an xml file posted
            > for the Icom-756PRO that has been tested and verified by a 756 owner.
            >
            > Dave, W1HKJ

          • Walt DuBose
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
              Jerome,

              I don't know that the precompiles\d Fldigi would work under Suse 10.0 but its
              worth a try...and even if it doesn/t try compiling it.

              If you want to try out Fldigi, download the FlPuppy Live CD and burn the ISO to
              a CD and run it from there. That works GREAT.

              I acutally sometimes run FLdigi from the live CD rather than the binary...I
              don't know why...it just seems more fun.

              The other program I recommend is gMFSK if you need to run MT63.

              Hope to hear you on. I'm having antenna problems lately which I can't figure
              out so am off 75M transmit right now.

              73,

              Walt/K5YFW

              jerome wrote:
              > Hi -- Jerome - VA7VV here. Just joined the group as I was looking for
              > a Linux psk31 programme. I was/am using mix2xx under XP, but would
              > dearly like to shed completely my relationship with Bill. I've
              > been able to do it with everything except my ham radio stuff.
              >
              > I'm running SuSe-10.0 on a dual boot pIII-450 in the hamshack. The rig
              > is a 756-pro3, and the interface is VOX -- all of which works fine
              > with windoze psk programmes.
              >
              > Here's my question(s)... Should I compile from source or use
              > a precompiled binary to start off with (I'd just like to get
              > fldigi running and get the feel of it)?
              >
              > I don't envision using rig control software. If a precompiled binary
              > is likely to work, should it have hamlib support or not? You can see
              > that I don't at this stage appreciate what the difference in
              > capablility would be between these two options after reading the help
              > files.
              >
              > For a quick and dirty trial... what best to do?
              >
              > Best,
              > jerome - va7vv

            • Walt DuBose
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?

                Walt/K5YFW
              • kv9u
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                  A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
                  Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
                  linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
                  and some through GNU/Linux OS.

                  If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.

                  73,

                  Rick, KV9U

                  Walt DuBose wrote:
                  > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
                  >
                  > Walt/K5YFW

                • Jose A. Amador
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Walt DuBose wrote:
                    > Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB
                    > drive?
                    >
                    > Walt/K5YFW

                    I think that both Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux can be loaded to boot
                    from a flash drive. Both are "small", less than 100 MB.

                    But I have never done that personally....

                    73,

                    Jose, CO2JA

                    V Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética.
                    22 al 25 de mayo de 2007
                    Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                    http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/cier

                    Participe en Universidad 2008.
                    11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
                    Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
                    http://www.universidad2008.cu
                  • romers romansky
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Walt, thanks for your response...

                      The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
                      works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
                      compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
                      be sure!).

                      I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
                      to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
                      or not.

                      If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
                      recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
                      remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
                      installed?

                      Best,
                      Jerome - va7vv

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                        romers romansky wrote:
                        > Walt, thanks for your response...
                        >
                        > The pre-compiled binary without the hamlib support
                        > works beautifully on Suse 10.0. I used that because I
                        > compiled Fltk without shared libraries (an accident to
                        > be sure!).
                        >
                        > I'm off to the basement to see if I can get fl-logger
                        > to play as I don't know if it needs the shared lib's
                        > or not.
                        >
                        > If I do need the shared libs, I guess I will have to
                        > recompile fltk. I'm wondering if a 'make clean' will
                        > remove the binary and everything that 'make install'
                        > installed?
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > Jerome - va7vv

                        Jerome, I think the correect way is as root:

                        make uninstall

                        then recompile fltk with the correct switches.

                        Ed W3NR
                      • Walt DuBose
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                          kv9u wrote:
                          > A good source of information and installation on loading Linux on a USB
                          > Flash drive is the pendrivelinux.com site. They have some lightweight
                          > linux versions as well as Ubuntu Edgy. Some are installed through MS OS
                          > and some through GNU/Linux OS.
                          >
                          > If you do it, let us know how it turned out for you.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          >
                          > Rick, KV9U
                          >

                          > Walt DuBose wrote:
                          >
                          >>Are there any distros (isos) that can be copied/downloaded to a USB drive?
                          >>
                          >>Walt/K5YFW

                          Thanks Rick.

                          Walt/K5YFW