Gentoo

  • jhaynesatalumni
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      It's popular with the University students here because they have
      access to fast networking and they have fast computers. For those
      of us with slow networking or slow computers there are other Linux
      distributions that are more palatable.

      One of the cool things about Linux is that you can get binary-only
      code and run it, or you can compile everything yourself from source,
      or anything in between.

      Now if you really want pain, there is Linux From Scratch - I haven't
      even looked at it, but believe the idea is that you get all the sources
      from all the people who actually work on those source components and
      bring them together yourself and compile them yourself.
    • Hamish Moffatt
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:19:06PM -0000, jhaynesatalumni wrote:
        > It's popular with the University students here because they have
        > access to fast networking and they have fast computers. For those
        > of us with slow networking or slow computers there are other Linux
        > distributions that are more palatable.
        >
        > One of the cool things about Linux is that you can get binary-only
        > code and run it, or you can compile everything yourself from source,
        > or anything in between.

        Be sure to read http://funroll-loops.org/

        Hamish
        --
        Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
      • Kevin der Kinderen
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        • David Freese
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006
            A few days late, but better late than never. Happy Birthday Kevin.

            My oldest son beat you by 4 days ... same age, born on 1 April ... no
            fooling!

            Dave (hkj)