New install Ubuntu 10 - 10

  • ThomasA
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
      Ok I am getting ready to install FL digi on my new Linux machine, I got rid of Windows all together, I am using Xlog, Nice!!, Any tips, I am not the most knowlageble computer person in the world, but can usually get by. Although this is a new system all together, seems well laid out, unlike windows 7, All tips are welcome, What steps are involved other than just downloading the software, I did what the istructions say to do, but cant seem to get it going, I know I am doing something wrong. Once this is done my windows XP machine will be switched as well. Thanks k8wdx@...
    • Roger G6CKR
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
        32 bit or 64 bit version of Ubuntu ?
        The advice may be a little different depending on the answer
        Roger G6CKR

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
          On 01/03/2011 10:07 AM, ThomasA wrote:
          > Ok I am getting ready to install FL digi on my new Linux machine, I got rid of Windows all together, I am using Xlog, Nice!!, Any tips, I am not the most knowlageble computer person in the world, but can usually get by. Although this is a new system all together, seems well laid out, unlike windows 7, All tips are welcome, What steps are involved other than just downloading the software, I did what the istructions say to do, but cant seem to get it going, I know I am doing something wrong. Once this is done my windows XP machine will be switched as well. Thanks k8wdx@...

          What exactly can't you get going. Also please provide some more info.

          Ed W3NR
        • ThomasA
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
            64 bit version

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi ED, I loaded it on my netbook, which is a 32 bit version, I installed all 3 programs, then tried to open fl digi it does nothing, I am reading up on Ubuntu, It is something I am doing wrong, not much time to play with it yet, just was looking for some tips before diving in, I put it on my netbook, so I could play with it while watching reruns of the Andy Griffith show with the YL, You know, "You spend to much time in your radio room" once I get it loaded on there I will load it on my 64 bit machine in the shack, thanks..

              > On 01/03/2011 10:07 AM, ThomasA wrote:
              > > Ok I am getting ready to install FL digi on my new Linux machine, I got rid of Windows all together, I am using Xlog, Nice!!, Any tips, I am not the most knowlageble computer person in the world, but can usually get by. Although this is a new system all together, seems well laid out, unlike windows 7, All tips are welcome, What steps are involved other than just downloading the software, I did what the istructions say to do, but cant seem to get it going, I know I am doing something wrong. Once this is done my windows XP machine will be switched as well. Thanks k8wdx@...
              > >

              > What exactly can't you get going. Also please provide some more info.
              >
              > Ed W3NR

            • Larry Levesque
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                Open up a terminal window, change to the directory you installed fldigi to (or if you installed it to /usr/bin or via the software center) and type ./fldigi

                You will probably get an error saying you need libhamlib installed. If so, type the following: sudo apt-get install libhamlib2

                and then enter your password when asked.

                Let us know...

                --
                Larry Levesque
                KA1VGM
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                  I run fldigi and xlog with Ubuntu 10.10, 64 bit on both a desktop and
                  laptop. I agree with Larry. Run fldigi from a terminal and you should
                  get some kind of error message. Let us know (by post) what you get and
                  we can help.

                  Running apps from a the pulldown menu is ok except it suffers from the
                  the Microsoft disease ie. a program will die with no error message.
                  Convenient when things work but useless when they don't.

                  BTW, I run fldigi from Dave's source and compile it on my machine. It
                  takes a little extra time to make sure you have all the needed
                  dependencies but once you do it takes seconds to download the latest
                  release and compile.

                  Welcome to Linux. In a little while you will be learning more (and
                  having more fun) about technology than you ever would have with Windoze.

                  Dave, WB5NHL

                  On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 15:06 -0500, Larry Levesque wrote:

                  > Open up a terminal window, change to the directory you installed
                  > fldigi to (or if you installed it to /usr/bin or via the software
                  > center) and type ./fldigi
                  >
                  > You will probably get an error saying you need libhamlib installed. If
                  > so, type the following: sudo apt-get install libhamlib2
                  >
                  > and then enter your password when asked.
                  >
                  > Let us know...
                  >
                  > On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 04:06:38PM -0000, ThomasA wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi ED, I loaded it on my netbook, which is a 32 bit version, I
                  > installed all 3 programs, then tried to open fl digi it does nothing,
                  > I am reading up on Ubuntu, It is something I am doing wrong, not much
                  > time to play with it yet, just was looking for some tips before diving
                  > in, I put it on my netbook, so I could play with it while watching
                  > reruns of the Andy Griffith show with the YL, You know, "You spend to
                  > much time in your radio room" once I get it loaded on there I will
                  > load it on my 64 bit machine in the shack, thanks..
                  > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:

                  > machine, I got rid of Windows all together, I am using Xlog, Nice!!,
                  > Any tips, I am not the most knowlageble computer person in the world,
                  > but can usually get by. Although this is a new system all together,
                  > seems well laid out, unlike windows 7, All tips are welcome, What
                  > steps are involved other than just downloading the software, I did
                  > what the istructions say to do, but cant seem to get it going, I know
                  > I am doing something wrong. Once this is done my windows XP machine
                  > will be switched as well. Thanks k8wdx@...
                  > > > >

                  > > > What exactly can't you get going. Also please provide some more
                  > info.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ed W3NR
                  > > >

                  > --
                  > Larry Levesque
                  > KA1VGM

                • h3n5y
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
                    --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, David Kjellquist <dave@...> wrote:

                    > Running apps from a the pulldown menu is ok except it suffers from the
                    > the Microsoft disease ie. a program will die with no error message.
                    > Convenient when things work but useless when they don't.

                    Well, you can always check ~/.xsession-errors

                    73 de heinz, VK2STM
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
                      h3n5y wrote:
                      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, David Kjellquist <dave@...> wrote:

                      Running apps from a the pulldown menu is ok except it suffers from the
                      the Microsoft disease ie. a program will die with no error message.
                      Convenient when things work but useless when they don't.

                      Well, you can always check ~/.xsession-errors

                      73 de heinz, VK2STM

                      good point Heinz.  I don't think the Linux initiates know about that file.

                      Dave
                    • ThomasA
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2011
                        All is up and running good, I had to go into terminal, and type fldigi, and it ask if I wanted to install, so I did, now all is good, I am learning, so for I like Linux much better than windows, the more I learn about it the better. everything so far is real smooth. thanks for all the help, one more pc to go and no more windows machines will be in my house.. Even my wife said it runs way smoother than the windows machines ever did, including all flavors of windows, 2k, xp, vist,7 ect

                        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ThomasA" <k8wdx@...> wrote:

                        > Ok I am getting ready to install FL digi on my new Linux machine, I got rid of Windows all together, I am using Xlog, Nice!!, Any tips, I am not the most knowlageble computer person in the world, but can usually get by. Although this is a new system all together, seems well laid out, unlike windows 7, All tips are welcome, What steps are involved other than just downloading the software, I did what the istructions say to do, but cant seem to get it going, I know I am doing something wrong. Once this is done my windows XP machine will be switched as well. Thanks k8wdx@...

                      • sconklin Lists
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2011
                          I missed the thread, but anyone is welcome to drop into the #ubuntu-hams chat on freenode IRC any time. There are often people around who can help troubleshoot problems, especially with Ubuntu installations. Sometimes it's really quiet tho so don't assume people are not willing to help if no one answers right away.

                          There is more information here:

                          73,

                          Steve AI4QR