Re: [linuxham] Re: SDR transceivers

  • Brian Lloyd
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2010
      On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Dan <dan.ziolkowski@...> wrote:

      rumor has it that Santa in bringing me a Flex1500.It will be here next week, but XYL says cant open til Christmas (sigh). So time for some prep work....

      Can PowerSDR be ran under WINE "out of the box", or are there special settings in WINE to get it to work?

      I can't say for certain about WINE but I would expect not. You have to get quite close to the hardware in the case of the custom driver used by Flex for the 1500. It is *NOT* a generic sound-card interface.

      I have tried running the 1500 on MacOS using Parallels. While it does work, performance is pretty poor with numerous drop-outs. Making it work effectively with fldigi proved to be impossible on the systems I used (a couple of late-model Mac Minis and a MacBook Pro).

      The big problem is that you lose all the fine-grained process scheduling. One OS or the other gets control of the processor and it is difficult to ensure that critical processes in any given OS will be granted priority over processes running in the other OS. The only solution is to throw gross amounts of memory and processing power at the problem.

      So, just so you aren't surprised and/or disappointed, it is best to assume that, for the nonce, you will need to run Windows natively in order to ensure proper operation of the radio.

      --
      Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
      3191 Western Dr.