Very new user - trying to install FLRig on new Ubuntu install

  • n0hnj
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
      Hello to the group! My name is Doc, KB3MOW, and have just set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP. I managed to download & install FLDigi 3.20.28 on Ubuntu (thanks to some help from the archives here!) but having a hard time getting FLRig to install. Here's what I am trying from the terminal...

      wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz

      I get an error 404 message this way. Could sure use some advice!!

      Please keep in mind, I am VERY new at Linux!! Don't let the fact that I got Ubuntu installed and FLDigi to run lead you to believe that I have ANY idea of what I'm doing!!

      Tnx es 73
      Doc
      KB3MOW
    • mm0fmf
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
        n0hnj wrote:

        > wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
        >
        > I get an error 404 message this way. Could sure use some advice!!

        --22:04:06-- http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
        => `flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz.1'
        Resolving www.w1hkj.com... 72.52.143.80
        Connecting to www.w1hkj.com[72.52.143.80]:80... connected.
        22:04:07 ERROR 404: Not Found.

        It means there is no file called flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz at the page
        http://www.w1hkj.com/beta

        The correct address:
        wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz

        Andy
        MM0FMF
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
          n0hnj wrote:
          > Hello to the group! My name is Doc, KB3MOW, and have just set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP. I managed to download & install FLDigi 3.20.28 on Ubuntu (thanks to some help from the archives here!) but having a hard time getting FLRig to install. Here's what I am trying from the terminal...
          >
          > wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
          >
          > I get an error 404 message this way. Could sure use some advice!!

          use

          wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz

          Dave
        • Dave 'Doc' Corio
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
            Tried this, but I get
            bash: http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz: No such
            file or directory

            Tnx es 73
            Doc
            KB3MOW

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
              Dave 'Doc' Corio wrote:

              > Tried this, but I get
              > bash: http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz: No such
              > file or directory
              >
              > Tnx es 73
              > Doc
              > KB3MOW
              >
              > On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 16:12 -0500, w1hkj wrote:
              > > wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz

              There's a colon at the end of your URL which isn't needed. Remove that
              and try again.

              If it still fails cut the whole command and response and paste that.

              Here is an example that doesn't work because the URL is wrong.

              andy@wibble:~/junk$ wget http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
              --22:04:06-- http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
              => `flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz.1'
              Resolving www.w1hkj.com... 72.52.143.80
              Connecting to www.w1hkj.com[72.52.143.80]:80... connected.
              22:04:07 ERROR 404: Not Found.

              Here's the one that works.

              andy@wibble:~/junk$ wget
              http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
              --23:00:13-- http://www.w1hkj.com/beta/flrig/flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz
              => `flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz.1'
              Resolving www.w1hkj.com... 72.52.143.80
              Connecting to www.w1hkj.com[72.52.143.80]:80... connected.
              Length: 320,431 [application/x-tar]

              100%[====================================>] 320,431 324.48K/s

              23:00:15 (323.62 KB/s) - `flrig-1.0.0bN.bin.tgz.1' saved [320431/320431]

              Andy
              MM0FMF
            • Roger G6CKR
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
                Now that is odd because if I click on the link you posted firefox
                downloads the file.
                Try try browsing to <http://www.w1hkj.com/beta.html> and click the link.
                If recall correctly the file should end up in the download folder in the
                home directory
                I don't recall making any set-up changes so I think that should work for
                you.You should get a download option box any way which will give you the
                save or archive manager option.
                73 Roger G6CKR

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 7, 2010
                  Okay, got that part sorted out. Copy & paste wasn't copying the 'wget'
                  for some reason. Got the file downloaded & running, but now need a
                  little help configuring it.

                  If I use the same settings I use under the Windows version, it keys the
                  transmitter and won't unkey. I'm using an IC-746 non-Pro, and under
                  Windows I have RTS +12 and DTR +12 checked, along with PTT via CAT. I
                  use port 7 under Windows (have 4 installed ports - 4 thru 7) and under
                  Ubuntu I'm trying to use /dev/tty/S3 (assuming S0 thru S3 coresponds to
                  4 thru 7). Running at 9600 baud with 2 stop bits, same as Windows. All
                  other parameters match the Windows settings as well.

                  I must be missing something, but darned if I can find it!

                  73
                  Doc
                  KB3MOW