Re: [linuxham] Re: Hello & CQRLog Problem

  • Jeff Sumner
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 4 8:12 PM
      Might have to soft link it.

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5 4:51 AM
        On 09/04/2010 10:44 PM, Steve Yates wrote:
        > Thanks Murry and Larry,
        >
        > When I run CQRLog in a terminal I get the following error:
        >
        > "error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
        >
        > I installed the hamlib files via the "Ubuntu Software Center" but I guess now I need to find out where they're at and why CQRLog doesn't see them.
        >
        > 73,
        > Steve - AA5TB

        Check and be sure you have installed libhamlib-dev.

        You could also install hamlib from source if needed.

        Ed W3NR
      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5 6:54 AM
          * On 2010 05 Sep 06:51 -0500, Ed wrote:
          > On 09/04/2010 10:44 PM, Steve Yates wrote:
          > > Thanks Murry and Larry,
          > >
          > > When I run CQRLog in a terminal I get the following error:
          > >
          > > "error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
          > >
          > > I installed the hamlib files via the "Ubuntu Software Center" but I guess now I need to find out where they're at and why CQRLog doesn't see them.

          Please confirm that the libhamlib2 package is installed. If it is then
          confirm that "/usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2" is a symbolic link (run 'ls -l
          /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2' from the terminal) to "libhamlib.2.0.11" or
          if you've updated the system within the past 24 hours, "libhamlib.2.0.12".

          If those files exist, please try running:

          ldd cqrlog/cqrlog | grep hamlib

          from the terminal. You should see a output such as:

          libhamlib.so.2 => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2 (0xb7069000)

          (the hex number will differ).

          If not, does it help if from the same terminal you run 'sudo ldconfig' (
          without the quotes) and then run the ldd command? The package should have
          invoked this upon installation and if that fixes the problem, then it was
          a packaging bug I'll have to let Kamal know about.

          As Hamlib 1.2.12 just hit the Ubuntu-hams PPA, you may to consider
          adding "ppa:ubuntu-hams/ppa" to your Software Sources to keep up with the
          latest Hamlib releases on Lucid.

          > Check and be sure you have installed libhamlib-dev.

          That won't help here as that package only includes the header files
          and is only usefull if CQRLog (or any other app that uses Hamlib) is
          being compiled from source. It looks to me as though this is a linker
          problem

          > You could also install hamlib from source if needed.

          Which requires that 'sudo ldconfig' be run after the first time that
          'sudo make install' is invoked. After that it doesn't need to be run
          until we bump the ABI and the symlink becomes something like
          "hamlib.so.3" although I doubt that will happen any time soon.

          73, de Nate >>

        • Murry
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5 6:54 AM
            Make sure you also have hamlib-dev

            VE9MB

            On 9/4/2010 11:44 PM, Steve Yates wrote:

            Thanks Murry and Larry,

            When I run CQRLog in a terminal I get the following error:

            "error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

            I installed the hamlib files via the "Ubuntu Software Center" but I guess now I need to find out where they're at and why CQRLog doesn't see them.

            73,
            Steve - AA5TB

            --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, ka1vgm <ka1vgm@...> wrote:

            > Definitely try running it in a terminal.

          • Steve Yates
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5 9:24 AM
              Thanks for the replay Nate.

              With your help I was able to upgrade from libhamlib.so.2.0.10 to .12. However, I'm still having problems.

              When I run 'ls -l /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2', I get the following:

              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2010-09-05 11:02 /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2 -> libhamlib.so.2.0.12

              So it looks like it is there. But when I run 'ldd /home/steve/Programs/CQRLog/cqrlog | grep hamlib' I get the following response:

              libhamlib.so.2 => not found

              Running 'sudo ldconfig' does not help. Could it be because I have CQRLog in another folder instead of the installation default? The installation routine allowed me to choose. I did try the default originally but it didn't work then either.

              73,
              Steve - AA5TB
            • Nate Bargmann
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5 12:44 PM
                * On 2010 05 Sep 11:31 -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
                > Thanks for the replay Nate.
                >
                > With your help I was able to upgrade from libhamlib.so.2.0.10 to .12. However, I'm still having problems.
                >
                > When I run 'ls -l /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2', I get the following:
                >
                > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2010-09-05 11:02 /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2 -> libhamlib.so.2.0.12
                >
                > So it looks like it is there.

                I agree that everything looks good.

                > But when I run 'ldd /home/steve/Programs/CQRLog/cqrlog | grep hamlib' I get the following response:
                >
                > libhamlib.so.2 => not found

                Odd. Now, I repeated the steps (downloaded CQRLog, installed only the
                libhamlib package) on a Debian Stable box, so it's not an exact test
                and all worked well.

                > Running 'sudo ldconfig' does not help. Could it be because I have CQRLog in another folder instead of the installation default? The installation routine allowed me to choose. I did try the default originally but it didn't work then either.

                What does '$ ldconfig -p | grep hamlib' report? I get an output like:

                libhamlib.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2

                I've installed CQRLog to alternate directories with no ill results. I'm
                inclined to think that for some reason libhamlib.so.2 is not in the
                linker (ld) cache. At run time the program asks the system for the
                dynamic libraries it needs and the linker supplies that information (at
                least that how I think it works ;-).

                73, de Nate >>

              • Steve Yates
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 5 8:34 PM
                  Hi Nate,

                  Here is what I get:

                  libhamlib.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2
                  libhamlib.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so
                  libhamlib++.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib++.so.2

                  Any clues? Conflicts maybe?

                  73,
                  Steve - AA5TB

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 6 4:57 AM
                    * On 2010 05 Sep 22:37 -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
                    > Hi Nate,
                    >
                    > Here is what I get:
                    >
                    > libhamlib.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2
                    > libhamlib.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so
                    > libhamlib++.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib++.so.2
                    >
                    > Any clues? Conflicts maybe?

                    Yes. Your Hamlib is for a 64 bit architecture and if I'm not mistaken,
                    CQRLog is 32 bit and is probably looking for 32 bit Hamlib libraries.
                    I'm guessing as I don't have any 64 bit capable hardware myself and have
                    not run into that issue personally. I'm not sure if there is some way
                    to install the 32 bit libraries instead, someone who is familiar with 32
                    bit versus 64 bit will need to explain this further.

                    On this nox which is a hyperthreaded P4 running 32 bit Debian Sid I get:

                    $ ldconfig -p | grep hamlib
                    libhamlib.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib.so.2
                    libhamlib.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib.so
                    libhamlib++.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib++.so.2
                    libhamlib++.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib++.so

                    Note that mine doesn't show "x86-64".

                    73, de Nate >>

                  • Larry Billadeau
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 6 7:35 AM
                      32 bit programs should work just fine on a 64 bit machine, but 64 bit
                      will not run on a 32 bit machine. If the machine you are running is 64
                      bit, then I don't think hamlib is your problem. If you are trying to us
                      a 64 bit hamlib on a 32 bit machine, it won't work properly.

                      Larry w8lar
                    • Steve Yates
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 6 9:19 AM
                        Hi Larry and Nate,

                        I'm using a 64-bit AMD V120 processor and the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. Until now there have been no problems. I wonder if 32-bit libraries will work better? I think I'm using my present libraries on fldigi and XLog and things seem to work okay.

                        I'll keep playing with it. I appreciate all of the help.

                        73,
                        Steve - AA5TB

                        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Larry Billadeau <lbillad@...> wrote:

                        > 32 bit programs should work just fine on a 64 bit machine, but 64 bit
                        > will not run on a 32 bit machine. If the machine you are running is 64
                        > bit, then I don't think hamlib is your problem. If you are trying to us
                        > a 64 bit hamlib on a 32 bit machine, it won't work properly.
                        >
                        > Larry w8lar

                      • Nate Bargmann
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 6 10:09 AM
                          * On 2010 06 Sep 09:37 -0500, Larry Billadeau wrote:
                          > 32 bit programs should work just fine on a 64 bit machine, but 64 bit
                          > will not run on a 32 bit machine. If the machine you are running is 64
                          > bit, then I don't think hamlib is your problem. If you are trying to us
                          > a 64 bit hamlib on a 32 bit machine, it won't work properly.

                          Larry, the issue appears to me to be a case of libhamlib being 64 bit
                          and the precompiled binary of CQRLog being 32 bit. I'm guessing that
                          won't work. Am I wrong? I would think that if CQRLog were available as
                          a 64 bit binary or compiled locally as a 64 bit binary then there should
                          be no problem. Again, I have no experience in this arena, I'm just
                          looking for a possible cause as to why CQRLog won't run for him.

                          73, de Nate >>

                        • Nate Bargmann
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 6 10:13 AM
                            * On 2010 06 Sep 11:21 -0500, Steve Yates wrote:
                            > Hi Larry and Nate,
                            >
                            > I'm using a 64-bit AMD V120 processor and the 64-bit version of Ubuntu. Until now there have been no problems. I wonder if 32-bit libraries will work better? I think I'm using my present libraries on fldigi and XLog and things seem to work okay.

                            Are Fldigi and Xlog compiled as 64 bit programs (I'm not sure how one
                            could tell)? Did you install them from the Ubuntu package manager?

                            > I'll keep playing with it. I appreciate all of the help.

                            The 64/32 bit inconsistency caught my eye and why I zeroed in on it.

                            73, de Nate >>

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 6 10:21 AM
                              On 09/06/2010 01:09 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
                              > * On 2010 06 Sep 09:37 -0500, Larry Billadeau wrote:
                              >> 32 bit programs should work just fine on a 64 bit machine, but 64 bit
                              >> will not run on a 32 bit machine. If the machine you are running is 64
                              >> bit, then I don't think hamlib is your problem. If you are trying to us
                              >> a 64 bit hamlib on a 32 bit machine, it won't work properly.
                              >
                              > Larry, the issue appears to me to be a case of libhamlib being 64 bit
                              > and the precompiled binary of CQRLog being 32 bit. I'm guessing that
                              > won't work. Am I wrong? I would think that if CQRLog were available as
                              > a 64 bit binary or compiled locally as a 64 bit binary then there should
                              > be no problem. Again, I have no experience in this arena, I'm just
                              > looking for a possible cause as to why CQRLog won't run for him.
                              >
                              > 73, de Nate>>

                              From the CQRlog web page ::

                              > http://www.cqrlog.com/?q=node/41

                              The 6th item down the list.

                              Ed W3NR
                            • Nate Bargmann
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 6 10:30 AM
                                * On 2010 06 Sep 12:22 -0500, Ed wrote:
                                > From the CQRlog web page ::
                                >
                                > > http://www.cqrlog.com/?q=node/41
                                >

                                > The 6th item down the list.

                                So, I guessed right!

                                73, de Nate >>

                              • ve3nvk
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 7 8:22 AM
                                  I came up with the same problem and the fix: (other messages have told you about the problem, but not how to correct it, this is how to make it work.)

                                  How-to install 32bit libraries on a 64 bit system

                                  Download the 32bit libraries from e.g.
                                      http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages%c2%a0
                                  or
                                      http://packages.ubuntu.com

                                  Then extract the files to a temporary directory with e.g.

                                      dpkg -X libhamlib2_1.2.7.1-1-i386.deb ~/tempdir

                                  Then manually copy the lib files to /usr/lib32

                                  This worked for cqrlog after trying getlibs -I libhamlib.so.2 which did not work

                                  also tried installing the ia32lib and

                                      sudo dpkg -i -force-architecture name_of_package.deb

                                  both to no avail.

                                  see http://www.cqrlog.com/?q=node/71

                                  and http://www.cqrlog.com/?q=node/321

                                  I ended up with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit libraries installed, and fldigi finds the 64 bit version and cqrlog the 32 bit. I am running LinuxMint Isadora a variant of the latest Ubuntu Lucid and a triple core AMD machine.

                                  Check as follows with ldd:

                                  >> ldd fldigi | grep hamlib
                                  libhamlib.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib.so.2 (0x00007f043929c000)

                                  >> andy@andy-desktop ~/cqrlog $ ldd cqrlog | grep hamlib
                                  libhamlib.so.2 => /usr/lib32/libhamlib.so.2 (0xf6ed1000)

                                  Make sure that the symbolic links are set correctly:

                                  andy@andy-desktop /usr/lib32 $ ls -l | grep libhamlib
                                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2010-08-26 12:13 libhamlib.so.2 -> libhamlib.so.2.0.7
                                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 101148 2008-05-08 17:02 libhamlib.so.2.0.7

                                  andy@andy-desktop /usr/local/lib $ ls -l *so* | grep libhamlib
                                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2010-07-10 21:39 libhamlib.so -> libhamlib.so.2.0.11
                                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2010-07-10 21:40 libhamlib++.so -> libhamlib++.so.2.0.5
                                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2010-07-10 21:39 libhamlib.so.2 -> libhamlib.so.2.0.11
                                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2010-07-10 21:40 libhamlib++.so.2 -> libhamlib++.so.2.0.5
                                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 519528 2010-07-10 21:39 libhamlib.so.2.0.11
                                  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 212157 2010-07-10 21:40 libhamlib++.so.2.0.5

                                  It took me quite a while to find the way to do it, and the messages on cqrlog forums were very helpful in pointing me to how to so it.

                                  Hope this helps you

                                  73, Andy - VE3NVK

                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Yates" <aa5tb@...> wrote:

                                  > I want to say hello to the group. I just joined a few days ago. I've used Linux on and off for about 10 years and played with some Unix about 15 years ago. That said you can still treat me as a novice when it comes to much of it.
                                  >
                                  > I prefer using Linux for my radio activities but I always run into a "gotcha" that forces me back to Windows. I've recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 and have it running pretty for just about everything. However, I've never found a Linux logging program that suites my needs but it appears CQRLog might do it.
                                  >
                                  > I installed CQRLog via the simple install package and all seemed to go well. Hamlib was already installed. I had to enable the "Allow executing file as a program" function on the CQRLog icon so Ubuntu would let me try and run it. However, when I try to run the program nothing happens. No response, no errors.
                                  >
                                  > Does anyone have any tips on troubleshooting this problem?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks and 73,
                                  > Steve - AA5TB
                                  > Fort Worth, Texas

                                • ve3nvk
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 7 9:26 AM
                                    N.B.

                                    You can go to http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libhamlib2

                                    and then download the i386 package to get the 32bit version

                                    also here is the display from ldconfig to compare with Nate's listing.

                                    andy@andy-desktop /usr/local/lib $ ldconfig -p | grep hamlib
                                    libhamlib.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib.so.2
                                    libhamlib.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so.2
                                    libhamlib.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libhamlib.so.2
                                    libhamlib.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib.so
                                    libhamlib.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libhamlib.so
                                    libhamlib++.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib++.so.2
                                    libhamlib++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libhamlib++.so

                                    note the fourth line which shows the library in lib32.

                                    Cheers, Andy - VE3NVK
                                  • Steve Yates
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 7 8:11 PM
                                      Andy,

                                      Thanks for the useful information. I'm still working on getting the 32-bit libraries installed. I'll let you know when I'm successful.

                                      73,
                                      Steve - AA5TB